Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Odd Cat Behavior

*I'm not sure if this belongs in "pet health" so my apologies if this is in the wrong forum!*

I've had this cat, Yogurt (my at-the-time 5 year old neighbor named her...haha), for 4 years - she's spayed, had all her shots, and hasn't had any obvious (I'll explain this in a minute) health problems. We got her from the vet where she, 2 sisters and brother were rescued after mama had been hit by a car when they were left on the side of the road - why these stupid people didn't leave the carrying cage closed on the steps of the clinic is beyond me...grr. We took all 3 girls (boy was already taken) and they all turned into beautiful, sweet cats. Unlike her "normal" sisters, Yo is a bit of a strange cat and I've always wondered if there could actually be something medically wrong with her (yet forget to ask the vet every time).

I don't know if any of these are related but here are her eccentricities.

1) She regularly kneads and sucks on blankets and almost get a possessed look in her eye until you pet her and talk to her.

2) Almost every night (pretty consistently at 11pm) she tears around the house like something is chasing her (but not in the regular cat-playing fashion), crouches low to the ground, is very twitchy, her back skin/fur ripples, and she'll bite/lick her back near her tail.

3) A couples times, also at night, she's started meowing/howling while hiding in a corner until you pet her and talk to her.

4) Also on a few occasions she's been sleeping on my lap and woken up with a start, meows (short), and tries to bite until you pet her and start talking to her.

5) She tends to be a bit spooky at things (more at night) - like coming around corners, through doors, etc.

Our first thought was that her hearing or sight might be compromised but she turns and looks at you as soon as you call her and she chases string/toys with no problems. When I googled the symptoms, the things that came up were brain tumor (but I assume this would've worsened) and cat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (seems silly but apparently happens). Any thoughts as to what could be causing her to be like this (any or all symptoms)? Once again, my family has had many cats (the strays love us) and never any like this. She due for her shots again soon so I'll ask the vet about it as well.

Thanks!