Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM

dog pee?

hi I have had my dog since July 20th he is 16 months and fixed. my question is can a dog pee when laying down? This has happened twice now i didn't think much about it at 1st because i just thought he was wet from laying in the snow outside but he was laying on the couch and after he got up the couch was all wet, the 1st time was a few months ago and then this happened again last night. Hes never peed anywhere in the house before so im just wondering if anyones got any idea whats going on
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs can pee laying down, but to the best of my knowledge normally don't unless there's a medical issue. I think when they do it's like incontinence and they're sometimes not even aware it has happened. Often, when a dog that is fully housebroken starts to pee in the house there is something going on either medically (UTI or such) or behaviourally (stress from something i.e. new situation, new pet, new baby, new boyfriend/girlfriend etc.) Maybe time to make a vet appointment to rule out any medical issues.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Geek Club CEO

I agree - time for a vet visit to look at possible incontinence, or even a UTI. Let us know what the vet says!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
-

This happened with my sibe at about the same age as well and we never did find the reason. It happened twice and both times he was in a deep sleep and he looked just as shocked as I did when he seen it.

I do think you should get your boy checked out though .....good luck and looking forward to your update.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM

thanks for the advice, do you now about what it might cost to get this checked out at the vet? and if its an uti the price of a presciption?
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara1 View Post
thanks for the advice, do you now about what it might cost to get this checked out at the vet? and if its an uti the price of a presciption?
If you don't have a vet, it could vary. Vets usually charge an initial exam fee, which in my experience has been anywhere from 48 all the way up to 80.
That does not include any tests that may need to be performed, nor does it include meds.
You could ask your local SPCA, if they have a list of vets that are more affordable, or allow the bill to be paid in installments, but those are extremely rare. Some vets, after you have been a client for awhile and have developed a certain trust, will work with you to keep it affordable or allow you to pay for expensive treatments in two or three monthly installments.

So really it all depends on the vet you choose.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM

yes i already have a vet that he has gone to already, thats not my worry the initial fee or anything
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Actually my pomeranian does that every once in a while as well. Usually is when she's very happy in the kitchen say I'm just coming home. She'd be jumping around and when she sits down and be ready for me to pick her up, she'd pee on the floor, not much but just a bit. Not sure if I should be concerned?
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsource View Post
Actually my pomeranian does that every once in a while as well. Usually is when she's very happy in the kitchen say I'm just coming home. She'd be jumping around and when she sits down and be ready for me to pick her up, she'd pee on the floor, not much but just a bit. Not sure if I should be concerned?
I don't think you should be concerned , she's just too excited , you should ignore her for a while after you come home , take her outside , let her pee , than you can pick her up.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Geek Club CEO

Yeah, that's just excited/submissive "piddling", not a real "pee"...very puppy-ish behaviour. Frenchy is totally right, completely ignore her when you come home, don't look at or even talk to her until she's settled down. And maybe don't pick her up at all when you come home. Wait until she's calm, them say hello down at the floor, at her own level.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
-

Quote:
hi I have had my dog since July 20th he is 16 months and fixed. my question is can a dog pee when laying down?
that sounds like incontinence but I could be wrong.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Live well, laugh often

This might be a long shot but are you sure that the dog is peeing and not just licking himself or the surface he is on? I know sometimes our dogs have had licking episodes that leave the bed all wet and icky but it isn't urine .
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
This might be a long shot but are you sure that the dog is peeing and not just licking himself or the surface he is on? I know sometimes our dogs have had licking episodes that leave the bed all wet and icky but it isn't urine .
Some of mine will do that too. I've found wet spots on my bed, on the couch and on the floor that aren't pee. Thunder in particular seems to like to lick the rug for some reason What a weirdo

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
Some of mine will do that too. I've found wet spots on my bed, on the couch and on the floor that aren't pee. Thunder in particular seems to like to lick the rug for some reason What a weirdo
In my case, no, because both times Logan was in a deep sleep laying on the floor beside me while I was watching tv so I know he wasn't licking. Irregardless, I still think kara1 should take her dog to the vet for a checkup.
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM

thanks for all the advice but yah its just weird its only happened twice like 2months apart woudn't this be happening more often if it was a medical condition. I have no problem taking my dog to the vet but its just weird theres no other problems with him so its just weird that this happens.
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM

yah thats what im thought too but i can't be sure its just weird this is for Teri and Gail
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
In my case, no, because both times Logan was in a deep sleep laying on the floor beside me while I was watching tv so I know he wasn't licking. Irregardless, I still think kara1 should take her dog to the vet for a checkup.
how often did you dog do this?
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
-

Quote:
how often did you dog do this?
He did it twice ....I can't remember exactly how far apart each episode was as he's now almost 5 yr old. I think the second time was about a month later but def not more than two months. It never happened again after that and he was checked by our vet.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM

rainbow so what did your vet do? Did he prescribe him anything?
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
-

We didn't get into the vet until several days after the second episode so only a urinalysis was done which showed nothing. Shortly after that we took him to the vet for something else and a complete blood panel was done which showed nothing either.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:50 AM

Unhappy

My boxer Brynn has something called "spay incontinence", which we discovered after noticing she would dribble urine (usually when she had been laying down). Took her to the vet, and apparently this happens (more so in females I have heard) after they have been spayed as they lose production of the hormones that control the muscles surrounding the bladder. Very, very rare in a dog her age (2.5 ish) but does happen. The solution is quite simple though... she takes a pill of stilbesterol once every six days and it almost virtually eliminates the problem. Might be something you could look into... although it is more common in females... still.

Kara1, I think your best best is to have him checked out by the vet. Could be a UTI. Could be a behavioural issue. Could be some other medical issue. Hard to tell... when he pees is it a lot of urine, or it is just a few drops?

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM

CASSIEK---when he does it, its on the couch and he pees i think it would probably be a normal pee and hasn't done it again.

Im still thinking maybe its just off his coat and its just snow hes never peed in his crate over night or anywhere else. Wouldn't it be happening more often if it was a medical condition and not just in the same place and its only happened twice. sorry but i think im just overreacting to snow. but if it does happen again i will take him to the vet
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM

just an update

Banshee hasn't peed on the couch its him licking it i have caught it many times now i think its just the material that makes it worse than it is thanks for the advice all