Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
banned user

Some ppl are so selfless!

Some people are so selfless!
We went to McDonalds one day over the weekend to pick up some breakfast before a small day trip.
Here in Allentown we have quite a few homeless people, even though there are shelters.
There was a homeless man (we have seen him before ). Anyway he went to the door of McDonalds and put something on the ground and I didn't see it at first... but it was a cat, it had on a leash of some sort and he had tied it to the daily paper machine.
Right away I was like, is he crazy? What is he doing?
But the cat seemed quite content lounging in the sun and before we knew it he was back with food and he sat there on the curb and shared his breakfast with an obviously very hungry cat.
I thought that was touching... now I don't know where the cat came from, if he was his all along or it was a stray or what, but I keep seeing people on here giving away their animals because of their place being 'too small' and here is this man, not having a place at all and trying to take care of a cat.
I know some people wouldn't agree with what he's done or doing, like he should take the cat to a shelter or something but I know for a fact if we were ever homeless, our cats would be going with us!
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:02 AM
~Cat Servent~

Just the inspiration I needed this morning...thank you so much for posting that. I have taken in the last kitten and the mother cat that I had been feeding outside. And I am at an impass as to whether or not to call the humane society (who told me her fate, since she's wild, would not be all that "humane" {pts}) because we don't have the money to get her fixed, and the organizations that are supposed to help with that are not returning my calls! When I let her out of the cage into my bathroom- she went so rangy I believed that I was in over my head and I had almost resolved myself that I would have to leave her fate to them... but reading this I think there is definitely more I can do.
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Sneaky, your comment is bang-on. I don't even want to get started on how I feel when I see those types of ads in the papers or on this site. I feel very badly for homeless people and their pets, but at least they have each other. And who knows? After reading that "Cell Dogs" post, I'm wondering if maybe these animals aren't doing society a whole lot of good?
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:27 AM

When I lived in Halifax there were a few homeless young people that had a dog (usually a pitty type dog) and I was always amazed at how well trained and well mannered these dogs were. I remember one fawn colored pitty with a guy who would play music for money - the dog was never leashed, and was always at the mans side - never leaving. The dog never paid any attention to passers by (human or canine) unless you talked to him - he would always come to me for a pet when I talked to him.

I was also surprised that while the people often looked scruffy and thin - the dogs always looked well fed and groomed.
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:30 AM

In Toronto there are a lot of homeless people and they have pets too. I have noticed that they really take good care of their dog or cat. My dad always walked around downtown with one dollar bills in his pocket and gave them out as he passed by them. My hubby saw a homeless man in Mcdonald's in the Eaton Centre, and bought him a meal. Why do people think they have something like leprosy? **** happens.
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I work as a Medic, and at the hospital we use there are a few skinny stray cats. (From a closed down crack house I think). My partner and I (both dog owners) get those little free sample packs of cat food whenever we go to a pet store. We got a little bowl and started leaving the bowl with cat food in it in the bushes where the cats hide. It caught on, now the nurses and clerical staff always check to make sure the bowl is full (whenever we arn't working). We originally called the SPCA, but they said there was nothing they could do, as they don't have the time to spend looking for a stray in the bushes. Oh well, at least they are fed now! And for the last 2 weeks or so they have been getting a little more friendly, they come over and sit next to us and let us pet them until they get spooked (usually by an ambulance pulling into the ER)!! They are also looking less emaciated than they did 2 mos. ago.