Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:47 PM

puppy nips!!!

Hey i have a 8 months old puppy and she loves people but she nips at them.
she does not hurt them but some people don't like it when puppys nip at them!!!

please help!

thanks
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM

She is too excited when she is meeting people which is what is making her nip, you need to work on calming her down before the greeting so she learns she needs to be calm to get the attention. Easier said then done with a 8 month old pup but it will pay off in the long run. I suggest start practicing with people you know will listen to you when you tell them not to pay her attention till she is calm and to stop all attention if she nips. You will probably want to start on leash. It shouldn't take too many repetitions for her to get the idea then you will have to concur the problem that strangers cause lol
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:15 AM

My puppy's 8 months too, and he does the same thing! Except I thing he's probably even worse, because he nips my older dog in a way that makes it seem like he's doing it with aggressive intentions. He actually lunges himself at her (she's a dane, so there's little surface area that he can reach if he stays grounded, hahah) and will grab hold of her skin and refuse to let go.

She's actually been very patient and will just bare her teeth and growl at him, but if I were her, I probably would not be so tolerant! He's got tiny little teeth but they're very sharp and he's drawn blood on my poor dane a handful of time. We're tried putting him in his crate as a time out, but he'll just come back and walk around cautiously for a bit, then go back to biting.

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Banned Temporarily

My pup wasn't that old but she did the same thing and still does a little but its not even near as bad as it was. She would take growling fits and like viciously attack. I'm was worried about her aggresion and that it would continue. When everything else failed, I would grab her and hold her down on my chest until she stopped growling. When I let her go if she started again I would pull her back to me and start again and would continue this until I was able to put her down without growling. I guess its depending how big your dog is wether you could hold him to your chest. People told me oh that will just make her more mad. It did at first but she learned real fast she couldn't act that way and still be able to play. If she tried to bite I would smack her on the snout. I know people say not to hit but I wasn't beating her just smacked her hard enough to fill it. She knew what she was doing was wrong and it has improved durastically! I hope this helps and that you can get it under control. People think a puppy acting up is cute but when its over a year old and still doing that and hurting people it isn't so cute anymore.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
My pup wasn't that old but she did the same thing and still does a little but its not even near as bad as it was. She would take growling fits and like viciously attack. I'm was worried about her aggresion and that it would continue. When everything else failed, I would grab her and hold her down on my chest until she stopped growling. When I let her go if she started again I would pull her back to me and start again and would continue this until I was able to put her down without growling. I guess its depending how big your dog is wether you could hold him to your chest. People told me oh that will just make her more mad. It did at first but she learned real fast she couldn't act that way and still be able to play. If she tried to bite I would smack her on the snout. I know people say not to hit but I wasn't beating her just smacked her hard enough to fill it. She knew what she was doing was wrong and it has improved durastically! I hope this helps and that you can get it under control. People think a puppy acting up is cute but when its over a year old and still doing that and hurting people it isn't so cute anymore.
Please don't give advice like this to other people. There is no need to manhandle a puppy to get it to behave appropriately. Someone with a little larger puppy and little more dominant puppy could try your squish the pup to them idea and get hurt, possibly seriously. If your puppy is nipping,,say ' OUCH' loudly,,stop play immediatley then re-direct to a more appropriate toy,,don't use your hands to entice play with the puppy as the pup thinks your hands are now a toy...

And for no reason whatsoever should you smack,swat,thump, or whatever word you'd like to use your puppy in the face. If your child were misbehaving would you slap them in the face? If your answer is no,,,then what's the difference?.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Here's a good video (I like visual aides )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
Please don't do this. You're basically abusing your puppy since they usually don't make the connection between the "smacking" and her behavior. If she stops misbehaving, it's probably only because she's scared, and afraid to get hurt again. This is no way to train a puppy, I really hope that you can work around this and find better, unharmful ways to train her.