Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 25th, 2004, 01:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Cat lumps and vaccines - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I noticed the other day that Fagan my cat (the new little orange fella) has a small lump on the back of his neck, pretty much exactly where the vet gave him his first booster shots last Friday. Since I just noticed it, I'm not sure if it is getting smaller or larger... it does not seem to bother him if I touch it, so what I'm wondering is should I wait a few more days and see if it goes down? Could it just be a small bruise from where she had to pinch his skin? I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that it was an infection... he's not scratching, there is no visible redness, etc. What do you think? Anyone else ever had this after going for shots?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Call your vet and see what he says ASAP. We had one of our animals have a reaction to a shot before and it started with a lump where the shot was.
Old November 26th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,my Vinnie went for his shots today and unlike my old vet,this one gave one to him in the back of the neck.I am keeping an eye on the spot,my old vet said problems can happen if given in the back of the neck and she gave the shots in the thigh...I did not question my new vet this time,it happened so fast,but next time I will.
Just call your vet and let her know,I am sure little Fagan will be ok...
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM
~Cat Servent~

IT seems to be getting smaller, and he is just as rambuctious as ever. I mean have you ever tried to type with a kitten licking your fingers?! LOL

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Booster shots and lumps in cats

This lump may only be a soft tissue reaction to the vaccine and its adjuvent. If so, then it should clear up in approximately 6 weeks. And this is the majority of these cases, so don't be needlessly frightened. If however it is more serious, then biopsy and surgery with wide margins may be indicated.

The potentional problem is a tumor type known as fibrosarcoma, and is a consequence of vaccination. I doubt this is fibrosarcoma (incidence rate is 1 per 10,000 vacciinates according to one study), but a heads-up warning never hurts.

In my practice I vaccinate according to need and also on a three year schedule. Additionally, all cats are vaccinated at specific sites to determine which vaccine was the culprit, and to make surgery more effective, as well as less disfiguring.

If cats are exclusively indoor, then I discuss the possibility of not vaccinating, assuming this is a legal option. Discuss this with your veterinarian for more information.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks Doc for answering, the lump is just about gone now and he is due for his rabies etc in another few weeks. I am going to consult with my vet, as I think he will need these shots as I am planning to take in strays and foster etc. If however he has another reaction I may have to forget about vaccinating next year.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been wondering about the vacination schedule - with a strictly indoor kitty. She will, however, come into contact with other cats - even if it through their owners - and I wonder about that. I do believe rabies is a legal requirement in NB though.

We just went through the controversy by some parents who questioned the efficacy of baby vaccines and the dangers some of them posed. A new landmark study has proven them safe but some parents will never believe it no matter how double blind and how efficacious the research methods, sigh!
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Pet Lover Extraordinaire

I agree CyberKitten - despite the very slim chance of a vaccine reaction, some people still refuse to ever vaccinate their animals. The likelihood that an unvaccinated animal will develop an illness is far greater than the likelihood that he will react to a vaccine. And, most vaccine reactions are mild. Rabies is always fatal.

krdahmer, it sounds like your cat had a very mild reaction to the vaccine. As far as I know, there is no increased likelihood of reaction when the vaccine is given in the neck. In fact, it is less painful for the cat than a vaccine given intramuscularly in the thigh. Also, your veterinarian will know which vaccine the cat reacted to, if several are given at once, as they are given at different locations on the body. If your cat reacts only to one vaccine, he can probably still have the rest, and the veterinarian may recommend a different type of vaccine for the one he reacted to. Don't give up your plan to foster strays! Most animal shelters and groups are desperate for good people like you!
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Bump on back

My cat had shots in the neck region about 3-4 weeks ago and there is now a bump on his back, between the shoulder blades also. I'm taking him to see a vet, but reguardless of what it is, why didn't the vet explain that there could be these side effects? If the bump is related to the shots, I can't help but to be upset at the vet. Shouldn't he have told me that there could be problems? They were even insisting that I needed the shots every year, but I just read that every 3 years (depending on the shots) should be ok.

Question: the bump is not on muscle or bone, it is sort of free floating in his fat/skin. Does that mean it's not cancerous? i'm taking him to the vet soon, but would like to hear something to calm my nerves.

thanks!
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

My vet has always told me to rub the vaccination site for a few minutes following the vaccination. I assume that is to prevent a reaction? When I've gotten a flu shot myself, I also have been advised to rub the site to prevent soreness. Not sure what this actually does.
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I mentioned this to the OP,the shots in the scruff of the neck have been found to cause problems with some animals and most vets now give the shots in the thigh.
I had Chico for check-up just last week and even this new vet now gave the shot in the thigh,whatever they found out,there must be a reason for the change.
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
banned user

Chico- when my vet was giving my dog shots a few weeks ago, he stated that different shots had to be in different aprts of the body.
infact, on the medical history booklet they give you foreach animal, there is a part that states which shots go where. Are you saying that this is not true anymore?
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Safyre,I have no idea,I just know my vet does not give shots in the neck anymore...maybe it's just for cats,but I cannot see there to be a difference.
Different vets have different ideas about how they do things
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Eons ago all vax's were given im, (in the muscle). After testing by the manufacturer's of the vaccines, a sq avenue was approved. Im injections take practice and this is not for the layperson to attempt.

Hardly ever does an im injection result with a reaction. It's always better to go im.

Subcutaneous injections are easy for most people. (sq) It's not alway's the best way though. So many people are vaccinating and treating their pets on their own these days, I can see why this method is recommended. If a drug calls for im administration go im, if it calls for im OR sq..go im. Only people with the knowledge of im injections should attempt to give one.

Last edited by Karin; June 29th, 2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:54 PM

Unhappy vaccine related lump

Hi all,
I am new here. I came across this forum after spending hours researching about vaccine associated sarcomas in cats. My cat had his 2nd annual set of vaccines 3 weeks ago. Two days after he received his vaccinations, I noticed that the injection site (on his neck between the shoulder blades) had become completely bald, and he had been scratching at it furiously and trying to lick it. As a result it was bleeding and very sore. Immediately I took him back to his vet. She told me he had suffered from a very rare vaccine reaction, and that his hair probably would not grow back. That didn't matter to me as long as he would be okay. She prescribed fusicort cream to be applied daily and said to take him back if I noticed any changes. I didn't notice anything until today. The cream had been helping the area heal so I didn't think much about it. Today I noticed a lump in the same area as I stroked him. It doesn't actually look like a bump on his skin, it's just something I can feel. It feels soft and non-fixed. I took him back to his vet today and she said again it was a reaction to the vaccine and to keep an eye on the lump, if it increased in size or became fixed, then I would need to bring him back. She recommended hot compresses as well.
I am just in a state of panic after reading so much about sarcomas developing at injection sites. Should I be so worried at the moment? If it was a sarcoma would it have developed only 3 weeks after the vaccine? Even if it isn't a sarcoma, are there chances that it may develop into a sarcoma later?
I would really appreciate any advice on my cats condition.