Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Lp posted right at the beginning of the thread ladies..And i agree i'd rather listen to someone with a ton of experience than someone with little or none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Oh lordy she did!!! How did I miss that..and she offered to find help which I know she will.
I knew she posted. I was simply adding my support to her methods. And LR's as well.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I knew she posted. I was simply adding my support to her methods. And LR's as well.
lol, it was kinda benmax i was pointing that towards,,just didn't want to centre her out so everyone would know she's senile. And yup with Lp and LR posting i had enough sense to just agree with their experience.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
lol, it was kinda benmax i was pointing that towards,,just didn't want to centre her out so everyone would know she's senile. And yup with Lp and LR posting i had enough sense to just agree with their experience.

Ok dok. You said "ladies" so kinda thought I may have been included there somewhere.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM

So I called my vet (Abbotsford Animal Hospital in Aurora) and made an appontment for this Saturday to see what my options are. The vet that we see is also a Behaviourist so I hope he can help me in making my choices. He will assess him.

I am not in a position to ever give my dog away or rehome him. I cannot do that. I don't want him to be with strangers. I tried with my sister who owns a dog who is exctremely well behaved. She walked him 3 times a day and tried positive reinforsement. In return my dog bit her 11 year old son because he tried to come close to him.

I am a true failure really. I passionately donate to various animal shelters and animal groups and write letters to government on behalf of animal rights activists and here I am contemplating euthanasia for my pet that I lost control over and gave up. I'm very ashamed.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you're not a failure,,you are in a bad position and you've done the right thing, you came to the forum to ask for help. Seriously get as much info as you can from LuckyPenny..Several of us have had some problem furkids so we really do understand where you're coming from.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateryna View Post
So I called my vet (Abbotsford Animal Hospital in Aurora) and made an appontment for this Saturday to see what my options are. The vet that we see is also a Behaviourist so I hope he can help me in making my choices. He will assess him.

I am not in a position to ever give my dog away or rehome him. I cannot do that. I don't want him to be with strangers. I tried with my sister who owns a dog who is exctremely well behaved. She walked him 3 times a day and tried positive reinforsement. In return my dog bit her 11 year old son because he tried to come close to him.

I am a true failure really. I passionately donate to various animal shelters and animal groups and write letters to government on behalf of animal rights activists and here I am contemplating euthanasia for my pet that I lost control over and gave up. I'm very ashamed.
You are NOT a failure. You are trying your best. Listen - the decision as to what to do is yours to make. But - I would explore all options..I really would. I understand not wanting to let him go to strangers...but some of those strangers are not strange to know what to do to correct behaviours and also work with temperments.

No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. I feel strongly that not all dogs can be saved but I also believe (for me anyways) that I must try everything possible...and that includes going outside your comfort zone.

Seriously consider whatever LuckyPenny comes up with. This girl has done so much for her dogs and her fosters - she goes above and beyond and is a wealth of information. Stand by until she comes back before you do anything.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
-

here is a list from the animal behaviorist society near you..

http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSApp...caab-directory
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
-

Kateryna , weird request here but could you post 4 more times , it takes a certain amount of posts so we can PM (private message) you , LuckyPenny would like to send you infos by private message.

so just post anything .... 4 more posts.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Kateryna , weird request here but could you post 4 more times , it takes a certain amount of posts so we can PM (private message) you , LuckyPenny would like to send you infos by private message.

so just post anything .... 4 more posts.
Go for it Kateryna...
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks Aslan, I will look at that tonight.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks BenMax and Frenchy

Going to post now.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Kateryna, you are so not a failure. Don't get down on yourself like that please. We've all been in your shoes. I do believe right now you are just overwhelmed.

LP will help with whatever she can, we all will. I also have a dog who at 7 years of age I seriously considered either PTS or giving her away. The only person I would have given her to was a behaviorist who was willing to take her. I couldn't fathom ever passing her off to somebody else. But you never know until you meet some of these rescue people if you would trust them with your furbaby. I would have given my girl to this one man. But nobody else. Explore all your options, and if you decide at the end that putting your pup to sleep is the best option then at least you will know that you did all you could. Seeing your vet is a good first step. You my dear have a very full plate as it is, and it's already been said, but at this point you must protect your twins first. Don't beat yourself up for this and don't berate yourself. Be strong, you know you are, you have twins for cryin out loud (no pun intended).
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

3 more posts to go Kat...
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
-

Quote:
3 more posts to go Kat...
apparantly you suck at math too,,,2 from 4 is 2 honey..

Again posting this to get an option of PMs

Ok Frenchy, I think you can PM me now.
-

come on one more,,say something like benmax is senile...
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
come on one more,,say something like benmax is senile...
You are so going to get it Aslan..
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Aslan, LOL ;-) I think it should work now
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateryna View Post
Aslan, LOL ;-) I think it should work now
I like you Kateryna!!!
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM
-

Still can't does anyone know how many posts it takes to get pm ?
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
-

Quote:
You are so going to get it Aslan..
you keep promising me that...atleast we got Kateryna to chuckle.
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I feel so bad for you because I know you truly love this dog. When you see your vet perhaps you can talk to him about some meds that may help keep him calm while you are trying to get his behaviour in check.

I am not an advocate for meds, but if the dog does go into a frenzy that is difficulty to get his attention out of, it may help a bit .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey guys just popping in to thank you all for stepping up to help Kateryna!!! I knew when I posted some questions last night that ALL OF YOU would be willing too help!!! I have been away all day and will not be on line again till later but I checked in for a second to see how things were coming along and WOW I am soooo happpy at all of the wonderful guidance and support you all have given/provided!!

Way to goo pets.ca members! Your all AWESOME!!!!!!! YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!!

Kateryna you came to the right place!

We are all here for you!!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Hey guys just popping in to thank you all for stepping up to help Kateryna!!! I knew when I posted some questions last night that ALL OF YOU would be willing too help!!! I have been away all day and will not be on line again till later but I checked in for a second to see how things were coming along and WOW I am soooo happpy at all of the wonderful guidance and support you all have given/provided!!

Kateryna you came to the right place!

We are all here for you!!!
But of course Winston.
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Half Way To Crazy

why doesn't someone pm Marko and see if he can't move things along for Kateryna to send and receive pm's.. just a thought

even though it is probably more fun this way..
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
-

marko isn't online,,i tried to stalk him on facebook but he's not there either.
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

you're totally screwing up my reputation

for the

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Frenchy dont worry Kateryna will get a chance to know the real you!!!

chow guys!!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM

All of you are truly amazing. You definately lfter my spirits with your help and encouragement. Thank you so much for that.