Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Cats and dogs become fur coats!! Gosh!!

McCartney campaigns for cat, dog fur ban

Heather Mills McCartney, wife of Paul McCartney, and Rick Wakeman of Yes campaigned Tuesday for a ban on cat and dog fur in the European Union. "It's barbaric that this is going on," McCartney said, holding back tears as she showed a fur coat made from 42 Alsatian puppies. The United States and Australia have bans on the trade, as well as EU member nations Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece and Italy. The campaigners want the ban to be extended to all 25 EU nations. The campaigners claim some two million cats and dogs are killed each year for their fur, mostly in China, and shipped to other parts of the world under false labels or no label at all.
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Why is this any more horrific than other furs? Don't get me wrong, I'd be appalled too, I just don't know why they are focused just on cats and dogs? Easier than banning all furs?
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why is this any more horrific than other furs?
My feelings exactly! Why should the animals we arbitrarily chose to be pets be exempt from the slaughter - we should be horrified that any animals are cruelly killed for frivolous reasons.

Quote:
The campaigners claim some two million cats and dogs are killed each year for their fur
Can anyone be more hypocritical? How many millions of dogs and cats are killed each year in Canada and US, just because people decide they dont' want them anymore, or because they are too ignornant and uncaring to get them spayed and neutered? No, they aren't made into coats - they are thrown in the trash. People need to clean up their own mess first.

Do cats and dogs suffer any worse than rabbits, wolves and lynxes?

I think the fur trade should be made totally obsolete, but all animals suffer for it, and should be all be given the same consideration.

I actually discussed with someone who who was horrified at dogs being used for coats, and mentioned that wild animals were used all the time. "But they're not pets" she said.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; March 4th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.