Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old November 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Anyone have a greyhound?

We hav 3 greyhounds. They are the most wonderful dogs we have ever had.
Attached Images

Old November 10th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW you must have a houseful!

beautiful dogs those greyhounds
did you get them from greyhound rescue group?
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM

Lightbulb Greyhound breeders?

Does anyone know of a Greyhound Breeder in Ontario? I Live in the niagara area...thanks
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm I am looking in my dogs anuel book and I have found one breeder.They are in Princeton Ont.Not sure were that is.Are you looking for one?If so how about rescuing a retired racing one?
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Talking

Hey Spike

Don't bother going to a breeder just adopt one there are all kinds of Greyhound rescues around!!
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Chocolate

haha, that picture just warms my heart.

thanks a bunch to sharing it with us
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Wink thanks for the input

Thanks for all the info...wondering how old they are when they are rescued..?
thanks.
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Spike - rescued greyhounds can be anywhere from 1 yr to 5 yrs old - it depends on how well they do at the track, or what their potential is.
. But no matter how many races they win,(and if they have no injuries) their careers are over at 5 and they usually meet an unpleasant end when they are used up.

If you're looking for a greyhound, there are a few rescues in Ontario!

This is Hello Archer, a 5 yr old ex-racer I fostered. He was a very sweet, gentle and clean pet.

Old December 8th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww L.R he is adorable.
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:34 AM

hey LR..thanks , what beautiful creatures these dogs are..I have the application forms in my hand, and will most likely follow this thru after Christmas..
-can you tell me - honestly...do I dare bring a Grey into my house with a cat already here?? I hear "some" are ok, but..would i have to keep them separate ALL the time?? I'd hate to emotionally disrupt my cat to a point of illness...you know how emotional animals can be...
just wondering..
thanks
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to hear you're adopting a greyhound!

Some greyhounds are wonderful and gentle with small animals, and some are highly predatory.

If the rescue you are going to has their greys in foster homes, they may know exactly how the dog will be with cats, other dogs, and kids too.

Also, like many other dogs, yours may be fine with his/her "own" cats, but want to chase strange cats.

Getting a dog who is in foster care has other advantages as well. The dog will probably be housetrained, know how to go up stairs and walk on bare floors, be used to living in a home environment, etc. Greyhounds straight from the track generally do not know how to do any of these things, since the only surfaces they have ever walked on is bare ground, and the only place they have lived is a cage.

And I would certainly not bring a dog who is predatory towards cats into my home. Accidents happen all the time, and can be fatal for the cat, plus it's very stressful trying to keep animals separated all the time.

There are so many greyhounds needing homes, I'm sure you'll find one that right for you!
Looking forward to seeing pics.
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks AGAIN!

Hey LR...well, once again, thanks for all that positive informative feedback. As it's my first experience with a dog, I'm thankful that the Greys have had foster care..and can help to determine just the right one for me. Of course I'll be waiting until after Christmas to send in the application forms..but I'm very anxious to get the wheels in motion too!
I'll definately send in a pic when things get finalized!
I'm SO Excited!

thanks again!
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:13 PM

I know this is late but I was wondering whats happening now?

I have 2 BC now but I grew up with a greyhound and would love to have another one.

Cholie my greyhound wasn't a rescue... I guess .....
My aunt goes to a track about 2 hours from where we live to get her greyhounds. She says there are pups dying, dead and sick. The track people don't care. They pretty much let you take them. But then there are vets bills to get them healthy again, which can be alot. She lives on a very large farm and has the Greyhounds to scare off coyotes. I shouldn't say she uses them for that, they are family pets that just have the added perk of protecting the livestock.

I love my greyhound, she is so great. They are very lovable. Not so smart though.... People love to meet a greyhound to. On walks you are always meeting new people. I have had more then one person acctually run out of there house to meet her.

One thing to always remember with these fellas. They need to run, thats obvious but they shouldn't ever be of leash unless they are in an enclosed area. We take Cholie to a park with baseball diamonds that have a fence. Then there is plenty of room for her to run and be a greyhound. Remember they are sight hounds and when they see something that catches there interest they will take off no matter how loyal and obidient they are.

You will love having a greyhound they are so great.
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom has a greyhound and my brother's family has two. They are marvelous dogs, just not a breed that I would personally have.

My mom used to volunteer for REGAP here in Michigan. She used to foster dogs and go on "road runs" helping to transport dogs. Her allergies have gotten too bad for her to spend more time with other greys however.
Old January 17th, 2004, 08:38 AM
banned user

We were gonna adopt a grey hound until the lady found out we have 2 cats (one blind the other deaf). She told me "No way Jose"
But they sure are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM

greyhounds

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, what a cute picture and what wonderful dogs!
I used to have borzoi and lost both of them this past yr, along w/one of my collies (that's 3 dogs in one yr! Where's some Prozac--or a BIG margarita?). They are similar to greyhounds in many ways, except, of course, for the shedding. Mine were very predatory and I had many a close scrape w/neighbors' pets--and many dead animals in my yard. Luckily, they understood other big dogs and got along w/larger sizes. (Smaller dogs, not to mention cats, were viewed as snacks.) I recommend choke chains when you're on a walk... no matter how perfect you think your dogs are, you never know when that instinct will kick in.
I hate breed books that say greyhounds, borzoi and afghans are recluses or aloof. Any dog will be aloof if you stick it out in the yard and ignore it. A dog that is raised to be part of the family pack will be friendly and a great companion.
I don't know about your greyhounds' sleeping habits, but my borzoi did prefer to sleep either at the other end of the bedroom, or in another room altogether, whereas my border collie and rough coated collie want to sleep on my face.
They have to make do w/the space on the floor next to the bed.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Chocolate

TerryJ, I'm terribly sorry to read about your three dogs...

thanx for sharing some of the wonderful memories with us tho