Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM

Cat has bacteria in urine

My cat 11 yo 8 lb had urine infection and got antibiotic (convenia shut) that has prolonged action ( 2 weeks). Next urine test showed he still has bacteria in urine and he got another antibiotic pills ( baytril 22.7 mg/day) during 2 weeks. After 3 weeks urine test shows that he stil has bacteria ( rare cocci) and vet prescribed him another antibiotic course ( baytril) for 2 weeks. I worry to give him antibiotic for almost 45 days. Any idea how it's possible do not kill bacteria with so strong medication during 1 month? (He also get small dose of methimazole because thyroid desease).
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Any idea how it's possible do not kill bacteria with so strong medication during 1 month? (He also get small dose of methimazole because thyroid desease).
How is the urine sample being acquired and tested? Is it via cystocentisis (ie: a needle into the bladder)? Is the urine being sent out to a lab for a culture and sensitivity? That would help determine which antibiotic would be most effective against the particular type of bacteria you're dealing with.

Do you know how well controlled his hyperthyroidism is? I ask because if he's still drinking and peeing more than normal, his urine is probably rather dilute and is a more hospitable environment for bacteria to grow. When was the last time he had his T4 levels checked?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Thank you sugarcatmom for reply!
All 3 times we collected urine from his litter box and brought it to vet for urine test. I cleaned the box with rinsing water.
His last T4 test was 1 month ago and T4 level dropped from 8 ( high) to 0.2 ( very low), so he now get methimazole 1/4 pill/day instead 1/2 pill/day. Cat still drinks and pees more than usual.
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you sugarcatmom for reply!
All 3 times we collected urine from his litter box and brought it to vet for urine test.
Not a good method for determining a UTI. No matter how well you clean the litter box, it's not going to be a sterile sample. I highly suggest taking him to the vet when he's done this course of antibiotics and having the urine extracted by cystocentisis. Then the sample MUST be sent out to a lab for culturing. This can not be done in house at the vet clinic, and it takes about 3 days for the results.

Quote:
Cat still drinks and pees more than usual.
Has he had a full senior blood panel done recently to see how the rest of his organs are functioning? The excessive drinking/peeing would concern me.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Cat has bacteria

Thank you sugarcatmom! Yes, it was in my mind-take a break, give the cat again half-dose antibiotic ( not 22,7 mg pill) during 1 week, and visit the vet for lab urine test. The blood test that he got called Zoasis-Superchem, CBC, Total T4, Urinalysis, Urine Microalbumin. Unfortunatelly I cann't afford blood test every month, it's so expensive.
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Pavel welcome to the site! SCM is right the only way to get a clear urine sample is via cystocentisis. Then there is no chance of any other bacteria getting into it and skewing the results. If you ask for the culture & sensitivity they will grow the bacteria present and find you the absolute best course of antibiotic to get rid of the problem. My girl had Cocci last year and ecoli.

I would also consider asking your vet to give you a break on the price considering you have done so many urine tests.

My vet also told me after completing the C&S Test if you retest it within 10 or 14 days I forget then the retesting price was on $50.00 for us??

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Thank you very much, Winston! Couldn't reply coz web site didn't work.

Tags
bacteria, cat, infection