Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM

how much is enough exercise for a dog?

I take my 3.5 month pit for 3-4 walks/runs daily, about 60-80 mins in total. I also play with him for 1-2 hours at home. I take him with me when I do groceries or run errands in the area, but taking him to school or farther is rare since i dont drive. Sometimes i take him to my friends houses, if one of them has a car. I let him play with 2 other dogs in the building on the weekened for about 3 hours (their owner is a nice lady that loves dogs and she doesnt mind having him over on weekends, shes busy over the week).

Other than that, Im either out at university or at home (tv, internet, training him). You're supposed to play with the dog til it shows its tongue, right? I remember him showing it twice only so far.

Is he getting enough activity? If not, is it bad for him? How can I know he's a happy boy? I want him to grow up healthy physically and mentally.

Thank you for reading
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM

bump? bump!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Sorry rayyes, I guess everyone is heading home from work !!

I don't have a dog but it seems to me, your doing a great job

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM

I think your exercise sechedual sounds just fine. some dogs don't pant very much. for instance my mothers dog pants after about 15 min of play but on the other hand my dog rarely ever pants. sometimes we'll play for hours and she'll never pant. you will know if your puppy isn't getting enough exercise, he'll start tearing things up and being really hyper (but since he is a puppy he may do this anyway). I know how hard it is to go to university and work and take care of a puppy, I also do this. I think your puppy is getting enough exercise but it all depends on the dog and breed, i'v never owned a pit. maybe another pit owner will be on later and be able to help you more. I would love to see a pic of your puppy.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:41 PM

thanks guys. Jackie i put a pic of Tito in another thread heres the link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.ph...4&postcount=15
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
take my 3.5 month pit for 3-4 walks/runs daily, about 60-80 mins in total
Everything else you're doing sounds fantastic, but that amount of walking and running is WAY too much for the tender joints and rapidly growing bones of a 14 week old puppy.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Love all creatures

I agree..I was gonna say the same thing too...its fine for a matured dog..but for a pup its too much..
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:00 AM

lol...and there I was thinking i wasn't walking him enough. I will cut down his walking time, for now at least. Thank you very much for the advice.
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I also think your dog is getting a little too much exercise for a pup that young. However, should you live in East York, my 11th month old American Eskimo pup would love to accompany you I am sure. Now he doesn't get enough exercise!
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayyes
I take him with me when I do groceries or run errands in the area, but taking him to school or farther is rare since i dont drive.

Since i will be getting a dog in the city too and i would like to take him everywhere....how do you get around taking your dog grocery shopping?to what extent can you take dogs in a store with you? Do you tie him at the front til you're done?
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

jiorji, You can take dogs into some stores - just depends on store policy - but remember you pay for any damage caused. You cannot take a dog into a food or drug store - AND - I personally would never, ever leave my dog tied outside a store or restaurant. I have seen so many dogs crying, almost run over, biting people that tried to pet them etc. - not to mention being "liberated" by someone wanting that type of dog. Many dogs experience great fear in this situation as well. You can take and leave dog in car for short periods, depending of course on weather. If very hot or cold or for long outings, I would leave my pup at home.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Everyone has already said what I was going to say. Dog gets tooo much walks. Just because it is a puppy but once hes full grown then you can start taking him on more walks. Ease him into it. They do actually get tired even though they would love to keep going, pits are known for getting hip displaysia (spelling?) also. Let his little joints grow and mature and you will be fine. Thanks for being a responsible pit owner because pits can be very destructive when they are bored and they get bored easy. They do need alot of exercise so I would say after 1 - 2 years start back on your routine because otherwise its great for a more mature dog.
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM

so... for my 30lb., 4 month old dobe pup... i should walk him how much? i am so concerned about not giving him enough attention, exercise, etc. i am afraid i, too, may overdo it... i have noticed his behavior takes on a little aggression at times when we are walking/running. he will dart back and forth across the sidewalk in front of me... at times nipping at my pants, shoes, etc. i am such a paranoid mom... i only want him to be perfect!

Last edited by kristina; March 28th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM

I think I will wait for the other dobie owners to answer this... I know you have to be careful of a dobie's developing joints and bones...
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM

my stomach hurts! now i'm really stressed!
calling all fellow pinscher parents!!!
please!
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM

I didn't mean to worry you, I just don't want to give mis information. The only specifics I know are for great danes (they are not supposed to run at full speed until after 10 months, I have been told)... Dobies are not as big but they still grow tall... wjranch and a couple of others are raising or have raised dobies-- you'll have to wait to see what they say.
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Agility Addict

OMG, I'm a little worried after reading all of the posts on limited exercise for puppies!! My foxhound pup was out in the fields for at least an hour by the time he was 5 months old :sad: (not to mention on-leash walks)!! I hope that I have't set him up for some discomfort as he grows up!! He's now 10 months old and we are out hiking for about 2-3 hours a day plus on leash walks. Because he is a hound I thought I was doing the best thing for him (he's never tired)! Should I reduce the amount of exercies/walking/hiking?

When he got injured after being bitten by a dog and I had to stop taking him on walks he put on 7 pounds in about 8 days (the vet wieghed him twice just to be sure). He didn't look any different but the scales certainly told another story!

Anyway, I am glad that I read your posts and I'll reconsider how long I have him outside for!

Thanks!

Melissa
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My foxhound pup was out in the fields for at least an hour by the time he was 5 months old
What kind of foxhound? American, English, Wirehaired, Toy??

Fields are soft underfoot, and foxhound puppies are light and have unlimited energy, so I wouldnt' worry too much.

It's larger and heavier breed puppies pounding their joints on pavement that is more of a worry.

7 lbs in 8 days???? I"m sure he was going through a growth spurt, and all that was not simply from lack of exercise.
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
banned user

So is it OK to NOT walk a 13 weeks golden/lab mix puppy at all?

Diego is 13 weeks now, over 21 lbs. He came to us when he was just turned 7 weeks and a little over 5 lbs. I live in a suburb, but the streets are either paved or padded with gravels. My vet estimated that he's going to be a big dog, about 80 lbs, so I really worry about his joint development. Another reason is that he has not had his last rabies shot yet.

So far we've only been playing mini-fetches at home and some tummy rubs. He chews a lot but I'm not sure if that's any energy consuming.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and still haven't a slightest idea on how much exercise is enough? I really like to hear some comments.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Agility Addict

Thank you so much "Lucky Rescue" and I'm sorry I didn't specify, Dodger is an American Foxhound. I'm not positive because he was abandoned but after researching I can only conclude that he is an American Foxhound (or cross-breed between the English variation)...

Nymph, I've been confused about how much to exercise as well!! Seeing as Diego is a golden/lab mix and hasn't had his last vaccination, it is probably wise to burn off his energy inside for a while longer. I think that once he's had his shot then you could start venturing out. I'm sure he could handle 10-15 minutes without a problem. The best indicator I believe is your dog. If Diego seems quite content to play inside and as long as you keep him stimulated by varying the physical and mental activity he'll be fine.

Is there not a park near your home!? I can understand that it must be hard if paved sidewalks are your only alternative! Obviously he'll need more in the coming weeks and months, just remember that if you hold off on the walks he will have to build up his endurance once you do start walking.

My friend had a golden/lab mix - she wasn't allowed to do stairs or off-leash walking until she was at least 6 months old (preferably later, according to the breeder). Anyway, she was never walked off-leash or for longer than 1/2 an hour at a time but now she is almost 3 years old and lives in the country so she has some running room and is doing fine.

I hope that you will be able to figure the best routine for Diego!

Melissa
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
banned user

Melissa: thank you so much! Yes there are parks around where I live, small parks though, we'll have to walk about 10 minutes to get there on paved sidewalks.

Diego seems to have endless energies, but he gets bored with one activity easily, like say 10 fetches then he refused to do that anymore. I want to keep him stimulated enough so that he doesn't get bored, but I'm running out of ideas on what to play with him indoors.
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want to make it interesting get some of his treats or dog food and hide it around the house in easy to find places and let him go looking for it. Treats are probably best. It kind satisfies there prey drive a little. gets them working for some food. I did this with capone and he had a great time. All I did was hide a couple and then show him maybe were 2 or 3 until he realizes that maybe there are more. And starts searching himself...