Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM

heart failure in cat

Hoping I can get some advice on cat heart failure. This diagnosis came so quickly this morning we took our 11 year old cat in thinking she had a cat cold and turns out to be heart failure. So far the vet has taken x-rays finding her lungs filled with fluid. They then proceeded to drain the fluid (which has helped tons with her breathing), and take another x-ray to find her chest luckily with no more fluid but, on the down side an enlarged heart. He put her on 3 drugs, unfortunately I don't know the names but I do know that one is a diuretic which will hopefully help to prevent the fluid this is taken once daily, a liquid which is to help take stress of off the heart taken once daily as well, and aspirin take once every 3 days to prevent blood clots. Does anyone know that if this medication works what could be the average time she would have left? Also, has anyone experienced this before and if so what was done in your case and what came the outcome?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Roxy- 4 year old Sheltie/Pom
Angel- 12 year old Persian (deseased Dec 6, 2008)

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM

My 5-year-old Gollum suddenly developed acute cardiomyopathy and ended up at the vet's right away. He was given lasix (diuretic), diltiazem (cardiac stimulant), baby aspirin to eliminate clots and potassium gluconate (liquid at first, then capsules later) which assists with regulating heart rhythm. His kidneys had been compromised by a clot in the artery leading to them, so he had to be flushed with subcutaneous saline injections as a form of dialysis. Potassium is eliminated during sub-q fluid flushing. Later on, his kidneys rebounded but then his liver collapsed! It took several months of treatment, but I'm happy to say he is now almost back to his old self. He will be on the diltiazem for life, however, along with potassium supplementation which helps with heart rhythm.

His heart rate goes up to 200 when he visits the vet, then subsides to 180 after a few minutes. I suspect it fluctuates under stress. It will never fall to within normal range but with the diltiazem cream rubbed into his ears, he's doing OK.

I changed his food to grain-free products as well. Much better for him (and for my other two cats as well)!

Your girl probably has restrictive cardiomyopathy, which frequently affects older females and could be genetic. Some breeds including the Persian seem more prone to it. http://petdoc.com/story/cardiomyopathy-cats Younger cats, especially males, often experience hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. They're rather different in terms of what's going on with the heart. Complications such as Gollum endured don't always happen ... luckily.

Sugarcatmom and Growler were especially helpful and encouraging to me when Gollum was going through this. I imagine one or both of them will give you some excellent information once they've seen your post. There is also a Yahoo heart forum which might be worth visiting. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

Best of luck.

Brenda

Last edited by faranya; December 6th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM

thank-you so much for that amazing story it gives me hope. the vet keeps telling us that he isnt holding any hope at all, so thank you.

Old December 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM

You're most welcome. Of course, every case will be different. But check out those links in my other post and see what you think.

My vet still can't believe Gollum is still here. And he might not have as long a life as a cat without his particular problem. But as long as the quality of life remains good, then I'll be happy with that.

Also do a search on pets.ca for posts with "heart failure" or "cardiomyopathy", as there have been several over the past few months since I signed up here.

Brenda
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Here is some more information on Heart Disease with a number of links in there: http://felineoutreach.org/EducationD...t=HeartDisease

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faranya View Post
...There is also a Yahoo heart forum which might be worth visiting. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/
In my opinion, that was an invaluable piece of advice....most people like you, who suddenly find themselves dealing with a complicated health condition in their cats, find enormous prectical and emotional suppport available 24/7/365 from other, more experienced pet parents who have been successfully managing their own cats' condition (in many cases) for years. You would be warmly welcomed there and, I'm very certain that you will quickly come to understand that the collective experience and knowledge of that group far surpasses that of peoples' individual Veterinarians (while not replacing it)...(though, in a significant number of cases, information from the group has undoubtedly saved a good number of kitties from an unnecessary and premature demise).
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Rusty was also really supportive to me ... sorry for the omission. And Badger. There were others also, but I have a mind like a sieve.

Groups like the one we have here are wonderful!

Last edited by faranya; December 7th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM

I thank you for all the advice on different groups but unfortunaltely angel passed away on sunday morning due to a massive heart attack. i do thank you all again though for the websites and such.

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, ec140466 Angel was obviously very well loved. You're in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Angel

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. Angel is now over the bridge with all of the wonderful pets we have had to say good bye to. little one.
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:42 AM
-

I am very sorry to hear about Angel. :sad: My sincere condolences to you and your family.
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So sorry to hear about Angel.

Angel

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your Angel

sweet Angel Run free at the Rainbow Bridge

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Awwww, I'm so sorry. I've been away for a few days and just read your post. Poor little dear. She was obviously well-loved. Sometimes, things don't turn out the way we'd hope, but love and memories make the sadness bearable.