Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 6th, 2003, 09:18 PM

black lab developing sort of a twitch in leg

I have been noticing an apparent "muscle twitch" in his hind legs. He is an outdoor dog on a farm and is about 10 years old. He was diagnosed with heartworm around 7 years ago but was treated and has been "negative" on all tests since. A few days ago, he had trouble getting up the three steps on our front porch; it was as if he slipped, fell backward and then tried again after coaxing him. Sometimes he comes out of his doghouse, a brand new larger one, with his left foot in the air as if it had "fallen asleep", limps for a bit, then seems fine.

Can you give me some idea of what this might be and if I need to get help for him immediately? We love our dog and don't want to see him suffer. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old April 14th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Administrator

There are a few possibilities in this case. There is a condition in Labs known as Muscular Dystrophy. This is usually a progressive condition and they show progressive weakness as well as atrophy on the limbs. It should be mentioned to your vet and the only reliable way of diagnosis is through a muscle biopsy.

That being said, I would recommend an exam with your vet to determine as well if there are any problems such as Patellar luxation or a stretched or torn anterior cruciate ligament. Again, your vet should easily ascertain these.

As a homeopath, I see these possibilities as the result of ongoing low-grade chronic disease and I refer you to a book “Homeopathy Beyond Flat Earth Medicine” by Timothy Dooley MD. I think the problem may be treatable with homeopathy. A list of practitioners is available through www.theavh.org.

I would suggest you also increase any vitaminC preferably Calcium ascorbate, and begin a glucosamine product available at better pet health stores.

©Michael Goldberg DVM

Michael Goldberg DVM
Hudson Place Veterinary Clinic
1300 West 73 Ave.
Vancouver, B.C. V6P 3E7
604-266-2731
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Tremors in Lab Retriever - Urgent

Urgently trying to contact anyone who has a Labrador Retriever dog who has experienced leg tremors in hind legs to find out diagnoses they received and what, if any, treatment helped. I have a large yellow lab 9 years old that started with leg tremors 2 years ago. Has been under the care of 2 veternarians for whole period and neither has been able to come up with a diagnosis of the cause or treatment. One year ago he was put on anti-inflamatory arthritis medication which seemed to help in the beginning. Medication switched in December 2003 due to slight elevation in liver enzymes. Blood test done a couple of days ago and liver enzyme count has soared, now dog taken off medication but doctor has no idea of what is causing problems. Dog is progressively losing control of hind legs. Legs suddenly give out when he is walking and he just sits down unexpectedly. Does not appear to be in any pain. Difficulty in rising from sitting or laying position increases by the day. I love my dog and want to help him, but doctors don't seem to have a clue what is going on or how to help him. Everything trial and error. Any help or hints on possible cause of illness or cure that I can relay to the veternarian would be most appreciated.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a GSD who was a bit like this but in one leg.He had Rhumatory Arthritis in his hip.He was loosing muscle in that leg also.He was put on an all natural gell caps and shark cartlidge.

This was not a cure though...It did help for a while.He had to be carried up the stairs as he couldn't get up them.And it was no fun carrying a 100lb dog.This started when he was 9...He wasn't in any pain.Till one day we went for a walk and there was a huge yelp.He sat and didn't move.Well there was nothing that they could do.And I had to put my baby down.He was 13.

I'm sorry.I'm sure this is something you didn't want to hear.

Labs do have hip problems.

Has he had exrays done on his hips?

I'm sorry if I wasn't any help to you.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Chocolate

good luck with your outcomes

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Twitching hind legs and ticklish buttons

I have a 14-year old rough coat Jack Russell "Goudy". People still think he's a puppy and are drawn to him when he's out and about or in the pet supply stores. But his health really took a dive within the last year. He lost most of his hearing in the last few months and his hind legs started twitching. He's panting and restless sometimes. Doc. said, he may have arthritis and being a terrier, he's trying to tough it out by panting. Now a new thing I don't know how to describe. You know, dogs have these funny spots that when you scratch them, their legs start running. Goudy de-activated the spots around his back and sides. Instead, his legs went crazy when we rub his belly. To a point, his doing it himself without us touching him. With his weak legs, he can barely stand.

Any suggestions? What kind of doctor should I go to.
We're really worried about our Goudy boy.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM

What did the doctor say to help your Jack Russell?

Please reply with the suggestions from the doctor to help your dog. My Jack Russell has started to have problems with similar symptoms and I am looking for answers. He is 12 years old and started the leg twitching 3 months ago.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeemueller View Post
I have a 14-year old rough coat Jack Russell "Goudy". People still think he's a puppy and are drawn to him when he's out and about or in the pet supply stores. But his health really took a dive within the last year. He lost most of his hearing in the last few months and his hind legs started twitching. He's panting and restless sometimes. Doc. said, he may have arthritis and being a terrier, he's trying to tough it out by panting. Now a new thing I don't know how to describe. You know, dogs have these funny spots that when you scratch them, their legs start running. Goudy de-activated the spots around his back and sides. Instead, his legs went crazy when we rub his belly. To a point, his doing it himself without us touching him. With his weak legs, he can barely stand.

Any suggestions? What kind of doctor should I go to.
We're really worried about our Goudy boy.