Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 2nd, 2002, 01:06 AM

Breech birth

My son's dog gave birth last night and all her pups came breech. Is this normal? She had a hard time with the first pup, which was much larger than the rest. The water sack came out first and was the only thing sticking out for approximately 30 minutes of intense labor. The sack broke and still no pup came, only one hind foot kept coming in and out of her. We were afraid she was having trouble because she was getting tired and couldn't push it out so, we gently took hold of the foot and pulled the pup out. This pup would not breath so I wiped it's face and rubbed it's body to try and get it to take a breath. Still it didn't breath so I blew softly directly into it's nose and mouth. It began to breath and was alright. After this she was able to give birth to 5 other pups with no problem. All the pups came out breech. Did we do the right thing or should we have taken her to the vet?
Old December 3rd, 2002, 10:36 AM

Hi,

YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY READ SOME BASIC PET CARE BOOKS AND THAT IS GREAT. It is not a replacement for vet care though, you could have run into some serious serious consequences....and in my opinion you should have rushed your pet to the vet.

I'd say 99% people do not have the knowledge that you do..., they should have sought immediate emergency vet care!!!

I am very happy that everything did turn out ok, and yes breech births are common in dogs.

Herman
Old December 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM

Breech birth

Thanks for the kudo's. I worked as a vet tech in the Army. Never came upon a situation like I did that night though and it has been a few years since I worked in a clinic. Out here in the country you can't just rush your pet to the vet. We're 30 miles from the nearest town. I just got lucky