Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM

my dog is strange...

I have a 10 month old lab Chesapeake bay retriever x. She is a good dog. Very obedient.... to me... Originally my husband got her as "HIS" dog because I had my chihuahuas which were not manly dogs. I agreed to getting this puppy since I was on maternity leave and would be home all day to deal with the training and the so fourth. No big deal dog picked everything up amazingly fast. He would take her for walks when he got home from work and play with her and stuff like that... I did all the obedience classes with the dog ad generally was with the dog 24/7. Well in the past few months the dog has become very loyal i guess you could say to me. She will sleep in the bedroom on the floor beside my side of the bed and will not move until i get out of bed. My husband could call her for like 30 min to go outside and pee and she will stay but as soon as i get out of bed she will come down with me and then go outside. If i am sitting on the couch or the lazy boy she is laying at my feet and will not move to go to bed or anything until I tell her to go to bed or go outside. Or even if I am in the bedrooms putting away laundry she will follow me from room to room and lay down on the floor until I am done in that room. She doesn't have a problem being left alone when we do go out and when we come home she is calm. No jumping or anything like that. Is their anything I can do to get her to listen to my husband? She will walk nice for him and when i am not around she listens to everythign he says. But as soon as i get home she is "my dog"
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

You fed her, walked her, played with her trained her. YOU are her world. If hubby wanted the pup to be all his he should have been doing all the work.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:52 PM

He does work 12 hour some times 16 hour shift work so in his defense he does play and walk with the dogs and the kids when he is off. It is just strange becuse my Chi's never really seemed to care. I did all the obedience training with then walk them play with the the same and they don't care as long as your willing to pay attention to them or if you have a blanket they can snuggle up under they love you.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Chessies are very much one-person/one-family characters. If you want her to respond to him, he should take up more of the training. The give and take of training will facilitate the bond much more than just playing will

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM

He does work with her in the training aspect and she will listen to him no problem if I am not home. But for example today. We were getting ready to go out and i was getting the kids ready and Bella was sitting at my side watching me and he said Bella outside which is the command we use for her to go outside and potty. He was standing their with the door wide open and She looked at me for like permission to go outside. So i said Ok outside and she went outside. When she was doing the training at the classes they only wanted one person working with the dogs at the classes. Because he works shift work he would come on his days off but would not be allowed to handle her in the classes. I don't know if this is common but they wanted the same person every class. Anyways I just find it strange because my other dogs really don't seem to be as loyal to one person. I guess it is just part of the breed. anyways I love them all and I guess I feel kind of special that we have that bond.
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM

I don't think your dog is that strange, she's just bonded to you. My rottie/lab mix is like that with me, if my boyfriend gives her a command, she looks at me, almost as if to ask "is it ok, Mom?" and sometimes I had to say "it's OK" for her to follow his command.

The way we remedied the problem was for me to kind of ignore her (super hard when she is so CUTE) and have my boyfriend do all the commands, feeding, walking, playtime, etc. Then she learned to trust him the more time they spent together.

Maybe that will work for your situation? I realize he works long days but for the time he is home, maybe it will slowly teach her to befriend him?
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

No doubt she just sees you more as her leader since you spent so much time with her. It's understandable.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Why not find a class that he can take her to? Maybe one that has them at different times of the day or week? Then he would be the one she has to listen to. They have classes for more than obedience. Maybe an agility or advanced obedience.
It's completely normal for her to be more bonded with you seeing as she is with you more.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Well we were thinking of agility classes with her in the fall once all the summer travels and stuff are done with. I don't think I have posted a picture of my Bella yet. I can't believe it has been almost a year since we got her....
Here she is as a puppy. 8 weeks 2 days...

Here she is almost grown up.

Old June 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Gorgeous pup!! Looks like my Sammy in her younger years.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Thank you! I think she is a pretty special pup!
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, she is a beauty!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."