Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Question Don't want a litter box for indoor/outdoor cat

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me. I have a 10 year old, previously feral cat. I got her at 11 months and she has adapted very well and I have moved 6 times in her life. Up until last year she had a cat door and went in and out as she pleased and had no cat box. So I moved into an apartment down town last year, had a yard but no door. So I would let her out in morning before work and in evening before bed. She had cat box.

Now I have bought a house, she has a door, she uses it but still goes in the box! I have only been here a little over a week, but two days ago, with box still available she dug up one of my plants and went in it, twice! Any advice would be appreciated!
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Everitt,there is not much you can do if she goes outside.
I take my cats outside,but so far if they do their business it will not be in my garden,usually in a quiet corner in the soil,or run inside to their boxes.
If she dug up the plant,maybe you should put it someplace else,she probably will go back to the same spot again
I was going to suggest something to put around your plants,but most things,like moth-balls are toxic to animals and I can really think of anything that would keep her away.Sorry!
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by everittnc View Post
Now I have bought a house, she has a door, she uses it but still goes in the box! I have only been here a little over a week, but two days ago, with box still available she dug up one of my plants and went in it, twice! Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, do you mean you don't want to have a litter box inside, that you'd prefer she go outside in the garden all the time? Not trying to sound flip, but the decision might not be up to you . For various reasons, the outdoor options for eliminating might not be to her liking (soil too hard, texture too coarse, location not private, etc). What type of litter do you use in her inside box? Do you clean it at least once a day? Maybe she'd prefer 2 boxes instead of just one.

To stop her from using the plants, you can put tinfoil over the soil, or move the plants as chico2 suggested. But you also need to make her litter box more appealing, either by changing the type of litter, putting it in a different spot, getting a bigger box, or cleaning it more frequently. Cat litter should be unscented, and in your case I'd suggest a very fine clay type of litter. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract is a good choice. Maybe putting a thin layer of garden soil over top of it for a few days will also help convince her to use it.

So basically, I think you need to give her a good indoor option or else you may find she starts going in other areas of your house, not just the plants.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm a softy

yes I am sorry, but I don't understand.... You adopted this cat right? So she was not given the choice, you decided she would live with you... So therefore you are responsible for her, cats will use a litterbox, if it is bad can you just not keep plants inside or have plants at all? I don't like the idea of letting cats outside at all so I have no advice with cat doors, or just letting her out like I dog, personally I don't like that idea one bit, but that is jmo...

You have moved 6 times, plus the time she came to live with you means she has had 7 major changes, and all of them had drastic changes on where she went potty, she is one confused little girl. You have a cat, you need to have a litterbox, and keep her inside. If she is comfortable and uses a litterbox, then that is what you must do, that is what cats do and what comes along with having cats.. Good luck!
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Clarification - Don't want a cat box, if possible

Hello all, I am new here and I appreciate your advice! I think there was some confusion about what I am asking. My cat, has always gone to the bathroom outside, never had box, adapted well to my new places and did not have any issues. When I first got the apartment last year and she had to have a box she did, off and on at first, go to the bathroom in my plants and killed a few. Then she got used to the box. THis was for one year, she had a box and used it. Before that no box.

Now that we are back again in a place where I have a cat door and she is using it and going outside I would like to get rid of the cat box if possible. Again, besides this move, nothing has changed with her box. She has the same box, same litter and I clean it frequently. BY THE WAY, we have had no repeat of the poo in the plants.

Also, my cat is happiest when she has access to outdoors, and the way I feel about it is, she was born outside and likes to be outside. Of course now she doesn't have to catch her food and has the option of a soft bed/couch and heat/air controlled ambiance. She is an incredibly smart cat and she and I have had training about the street years ago and she never goes near it.

Tags
no litter box, outside cat, pooping outside