Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM

Need help buying muzzle

With Ontario's BSL coming upon us,I have starting to look for a muzzle for Boston.I dont have any experience with one of these.I believe that the dog must be able to pant and drink(please correct me if I am wrong)Could anyone give me some sound advice on what to look for or perhaps some recommendations?
Thanks,
Kelly
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Sammiec started this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12721

Plan on spending at least $40.00. Don't go cheap.
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:31 PM

Go to a pet shop and ask to get your dog fitted for a 'gentle leader' or a 'Halti'. They're both pretty much the same thing, just a harness for the head, which makes it a lot easier to control the dog, especially if its a strong one. They also come with a booklet for obedience training. I just got my dog, so I've yet to get one but everyone I've talked to so far (shelter,vets,etc) have recommended it and says it works well in training the dog without hurting it.

Rule of thumb for fitting should be with the jaw closed, you should be able to fit two fingers underneath the jaw. The dog can still breath, pant, drink, eat treats, etc. but still keeps the jaws restrained. It costs around CND$35 but apparently it's worth the investment.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewfinder
Go to a pet shop and ask to get your dog fitted for a 'gentle leader' or a 'Halti'. They're both pretty much the same thing, just a harness for the head, which makes it a lot easier to control the dog, especially if its a strong one. They also come with a booklet for obedience training. I just got my dog, so I've yet to get one but everyone I've talked to so far (shelter,vets,etc) have recommended it and says it works well in training the dog without hurting it.

Rule of thumb for fitting should be with the jaw closed, you should be able to fit two fingers underneath the jaw. The dog can still breath, pant, drink, eat treats, etc. but still keeps the jaws restrained. It costs around CND$35 but apparently it's worth the investment.
As with any other training tool, a halti should not be used by the uninformed. A dog with a halti and a flex lead could very well be a dead dog.

Having said that, a halti is not a muzzle. A basket muzzle would be your best bet. Allows the dog to pant and drink but not bite.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Owned by goldens

Muzzle

First of all I have to say that I was upset when I read you post. I would be furious if I was forced to muzzle a dog that does not have tendencies towards aggression.
That said the Gentle Leader or Halti are not muzzles. They are aids to help you get your dog to walk better. I use both on my two and they make our walks very enjoyable. Dogs wearing them would still be able to bite.
I too would look at the basket muzzle. The other ones I have seen seem to be so tight and a dog would surely be uncomfortable with it.

Good luck
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
First of all I have to say that I was upset when I read you post. I would be furious if I was forced to muzzle a dog that does not have tendencies towards aggression.
I understand your concerns to this.BUT you have to understand that this is a must because of this ban that is set up for Ontario in August.And I know everyone is going to what they can to protect their dogs.There have been times when a dog shows no tendencies to aggression,but then all of a sudden something happens and they snap.Now say Kelly didn't muzzle Boston.And he(hope it is a he.lol) bit someone under the ban.Kelly would be fined $10.000 and would have to pay for the damages to the other person.And could loose Boston.I really don't think Kelly wants that.Do you?

As for the muzzle,I agree with the caged one.A co-worker just got one for her Pit.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

muzzles look so terrible.... I think it is horrible that pits have to wear them.... But atleast you are doing what you can to protect him....
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Agility Addict

I bought a cheap nylon muzzle for Dodger when he was younger to control his barking. He wore it twice before I refused to put it on him again. I've seen a GSD at the dog park that wears one all the time and I can only imagine how difficult it is to breath.

I had never seen a muzzle like the one in Sammiec's thread and I was horrified by the way it looked. I can't believe that it's the government's solution to the problem - do they really think that the people who own the problem dogs are actually going to comply?

Anyway, the only other type of muzzle I've seen that is sold in pet stores close to home are plastic basket dog muzzles - they look less evil than the leather and metal one but are probably not as comfortable? I considered getting one for Dodger because he eats everything and makes himself sick.

There's a leather police dog training muzzle that is CRAZY expensive but is it better than the metal and leather one? I really have no idea about muzzles, I'm just curious!

Here's the link for the police dog training muzzle:

http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product789.html

Melissa

I read through sammiec's post and this one, I want to convey how sorry I am that so many "bully breeds" (and others to follow, I'm sure) are going to be doomed to wearing a muzzle. Although I smiled at the jokes about using invisible muzzles and the halti/gentle leader ploy, I agree with others that it would be a mistake. There are too many ignorant people that blindly hate any dog THEY believe is a pitbull to risk losing your companion over it. It is so terribly unfair!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
There's a leather police dog training muzzle that is CRAZY expensive but is it better than the metal and leather one?
That's the same one my dog used for his training.If I recall,Pet Value has them.Or should I say simular to them.Not sure how much they are.I will check the price when I go back there.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.I certainly dont want to lose Boston(he is a he)-I just want to help him get used to it before the ban comes into effect.We already get looks and people have already asked us why we dont have him muzzled.I am tired of explaning when the law takes effect I feel like copying it out and giving it to people instead,LOL.

Thanks