Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking Maks is eating raw!

Okay, so I've been transitioning the Fantastic Four to wellness grain free. It's a slow process, but I've got them eating half and half now, which is farther than I've ever gotten before. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I got a sample bag of Natures Variety pre-packaged raw. I tried giving them all a taste, just a little. enough for them to sniff and get a bit if they were interested. The only one who showed any amount of interest was Maks.

Well, this weekend he ate an entire medallion on his own, and tonight he ate two. He literally scarfed them down. So I think my little guy is a convert. I have enough in the sample bag to get him through the next few days. When I get paid, I'll go by Dog Bar and get a bag, plus I have a coupon for a free bag.

I'm hoping the others will eventually want to give what he's eating a try and decide they like it, but for now at least I have one eating raw. Even if the others don't like it, as long as they all eventually can get on wellness alone I'll be happy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantabulous!! Way to go Maks, and way to go you, for not giving up.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so thrilled and quite proud of him. At first I thought I'd have to keep a watch out, to make sure any leftovers weren't left out for too long, but he didn't even leave any leftover! I put his plate down, and turned my back to wash up some dishes, and by the time I finished he was done! I got him the Lamb so I figure I'll stick with that and then maybe at some point get another sample bag of a different flavor, just so he doesn't get tired of the Lamb.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Swift Tribe

*laughs* YAY! for you and YAY! for Maks!!!

i can say from experience, the rest is all down hill from here!! once one eats it, the others eventually decide its not gonna kill him. you can call him Canary now, the other 3 are!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, that's what I'm hoping. I hope they get curious enough to want to have a taste. When I tried to give them some before, the other three sniffed what I had, then turned away. Maks sniffed and licked it, then took the little piece and ate it. I think he's a little more adventurous with his food than the others .

If I hadn't found those that pre-packaged stuff I don't think I could have done it. For now, I'm just not brave enough to make their food for them. At least I know this food has all of the things they need in as far as vitamin's and supplements. And the best part, there is a place a few blocks away from my office and another place on my way home that sells Nature's Variety. They also sell another brand, which I have to get the name of so I can look it up online.

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
What to say, what to say

Yay! I've been following your transition through your many posts but never commented until now. Way to go, Maks!