Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM

need help identifying my pup

I rescued this pup from a lady that couldn't find him a new home when she had to move. I was told what breed he was, but would like other opinions. He seems to have some characteristics of this breed (he's obviously a mix), but I'd like to see if other people can see what I was told he was in him.

Let the guessing begin! I'll say what breed I was told he was after I get a few guesses!

(he's wearing the cone because I just got him fixed)
Attached Images

Old September 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Catlover2

Husky/yellow Lab, and maybe a little GSD?
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GSD/Husky (or Malamute). Eyes almost look like Akita though!
Whatever he is, he's beautiful

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

i would say sheapard x and akta cross
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks, he is a gorgeous dog

I was told he was an Elkhound cross. They're not sure what he's crossed with, I'm thinking GSD?

There is no husky in him (I've had 3 huskies) and I doubt there's lab in him, he doesn't have webbed toes.

I've seen pics of purebred Elkhounds, I don't see any resemblance really, but I've seen pics of Elkhound crosses and I've found a few that look exactly like him, so who knows.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Wow... I had an Elkie yrs ago, I never would have guessed that
The shape of the head and eyes look Akita to me, and he has a nice mask. I have 2 Mals (one 11 yrs and one 6 1/2 mnths).

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM

I just had him fixed on Friday and the vet told me she saw the eklhound, she said if she had to guess, he's got some shepherd in him too?

Either way, he's just a big lug, wicked temperament, totally stubborn at times and my little chihuahua cross is totally the alpha dog! lol I've read that Elkies have this loud piercing bark/yipe thing, my dog has it too, there's a huge difference from when he's barking at something that caught his attention, to the type of bark he gets when he gets excited and wants to play, he gets this high pitched bark like they say elkies have.

Don't really much matter what he is, but would like to get an idea as it might help me work with him a bit? I got him when he was 9 months old, he never had any training, you couldn't walk him on a leash without getting dragged where ever he wanted to go (he's 72 pounds), he was totally out of control in the house, he was horrible. To be honest, within the first week, I was ready to find him a new home, but I stuck it out, he'd already had 4 owners in his short life before I got him

He's 13 months old now, and now we can walk him fairly well, he still pulls, but nowhere near as bad, he's a bit calmer in the house, he pretty much quit chasing the cats, he's doing so much better. Now if only I can get the bugger to come when called
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM
banned user

I would say definitely has the Elkhound markings...but not the tail or the pointy ears.
Name:  lakeshastasable.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  15.2 KB
Sable who was Elkhound X and Shasta pure Elkhound
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM

With 4 owners in his short life, all he needs is time and lots of love, great looking dog.
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Yes, I know. I posted elsewhere on this board last night (the training forum I believe), I was totally frustrated with him. Took him for a walk and he absolutely refused to listen. I know it will take time and patience (he is very loved!!), patience is something I'm learning I need to work on myself.