Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

You go girl! Go Pepper!
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG I missed this post today. And she gave the kitty kisses

So happy to hear that Pepper is doing so well

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM

I'm so glad Pepper is home and her surgery went well. I know you have to get her to eat. When we were facing kidney failure with Tipper (completely different cause to what your Pepper is facing) we were told that the high Creatinine level caused her to not want to eat. As you can get this number to decrease toward normal, she may get her appetite back more. Also, some of her medicines might be making her tummy hurt. You might ask about adding some sort of probiotic to her diet for a while. Good luck. We ended up having the syringe feed Tipper for a while and it wasn't enjoyable for any of us.

More prayers for Pepper as she heals.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
Now our challenge is to get her to eat and to take pills to prevent any infection.
I either use cheese or banana to hide the pills , it works great
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can't wait to see pics of Pepper lipoma-free! She must feel sooooo much better already!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:37 AM
-

I somehow missed this whole thread until now. Glad to hear that Pepper's surgery went well and hope she starts eating soon.

Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Yay for Pepper! I'm glad the surgery went well and she's home and on the road to recovery. It must be so strange for her not to have that extra weight, but it must feel oh so much better!
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM
-

How is Pepper doing?
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM

I want to hear too. It has been a long day for me & I wanted to check Pepper out.

I hope it is good news....please post something!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM

sorry for not posting for 2 days, I was so tired after all this that I slept and didn't come online until today. On Friday the 31st we took her back to the vet again for her dressing change and antibiotic by injection. She was thrilled while the bandage was off and rather ticked off when it was put back on. The drain was removed too without any difficulty. My vet gave me her Saturday antibiotic injection to bring home and give her, which I did. (I am a retired RN) I was also instructed to remove her dressing today, and if there was any drainage to replace it with a lighter dressing.

I removed the dressing today and there was a tiny bit of drainage but I wasn't allowed to put anything back on the site because she lay down and growled. SHe also has a new bone in front of her which she thought I was going to steal. I put a small dressing under her and will check later to see if there is any drainage that would need a dressing, before trying to put something back on her. She seems to be relishing the freedom of having nothing on her as she had a towel wrapped around her followed by vet wrap to hold it in place. It was rather bulky and I know I would hate it so why shouldn't she.

She is going up the stairs to get outside without a problem but my son is still carrying her downstairs to prevent an accident. She hasn't stood up since I removed the dressing so I don't know if she is able to walk more easily since the removal of the big bandage. She was taking very short steps with it on.

She is still not back on her food yet and I think her stomach is still upset. She will eat small amounts of peanut butter, cheese, slices of bread, and the Hi-cal which we are still giving her until she is completely back on her food. She is also taking Geri-tabs. She will also drink the liquid from chicken noodle soup I've given her but she is not the least bit interested in her usual rice, with beef or chicken. She also ate a can of salmon feast (Fancy Feast) that I was feeding one of the cats and a can of chicken flakes that I had. I hopefully will get her back on her regular diet when she heals but right now I want her to start eating and it doesn't matter what it is as long as she eats. When she first came home I wondered if she had a bad taste in her mouth because she would start to grab something to eat it and then spit it out. Anesthetics ften leave people with a bad taste in their mouths so I thought it was possible. She also coughed a bit when she tried to swallow something that seemed a bit dry as though it was getting stuck in her throat.

She is doing so well now I am thrilled. Every day she is more active and is also taking on the cats when they walk near her, barking at them like she usually does. I tried to get a picture of the incision to post but she was having none of it. I will post one as soon as I can get one that shows the difference in her now. There is still a bit of a pouch where the lump was because my vet did not remove any skin because of all the blood she lost. So the position she's lying in makes it look like at least part of the lump is still there so I want to get a picture with her standing before posting it.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone, after all the support you gave us. I will post at least one picture hopefully later today but I wanted to bring everyone up-to-date now.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great report, dbg! I guess I wouldn't want the bandage on again, either

Does she normally eat kibble? If so, you can mix plain yogurt with it to make it seem like a special treat--a tablespoon or two should do it...sort of like frosted flakes. A teaspoon or two of pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the kind that already has sugar and spices mixed in for pie filling) mixed in with the yogurt and kibble also makes a tasty change. (Yogurt is a natural probiotic and pumpkin is a good source of fiber and will keep her regular till she's back on her usual diet.) Try it with a small amount of her food (in case she doesn't eat it, you don't waste much) and see if that will entice her to eat. And offer her small portions, more times each day--if she hasn't eaten much lately, her tummy will feel more comfortable with small meals.

Good job, Pepper! You keep healing honey, eat your food, and pose for some of those pictures for us, okay?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for the update, so glad Pepper is doing so well . Hazel has some really good ideas to help he digestion. Sure would love to see some pics., including the kitties.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the update! A thought just came to me and why I didn't think of this before baffles me.

Why she does not want to eat, as a retired RN you know being in surgery so long under sedation, that sedation is delivered by a trach tube. People and animals always suffer a sore throat with difficulty in swallowing for a few days post op.
Maybe freeze the broth and give it to her in ice cube form and chill all her other food?
Just like giving kids ice cream after having their tonsils out.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
-

Yipeee for Pepper and you ! It's never easy to take care of them after surgery , having to wear bandages ...

Hazel has great tips to help Pepper eat and get better

Speedy recovery Pepper
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
-

Thanks for the update and glad Pepper is feeling better.

As well as the other suggestions given to encourage her to eat you could also try adding some baby food but make sure it says no salt added on the label. Also the canned chicken flakes should be rinsed in water if there is salt included in the ingredients and the chicken broth diluted.

Another thing to try is satin balls...

http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. All food that I give Pepper has been prepared with as little salt as possible because if it's affect on her heart and kidneys. The chicken flakes were soaked in water to remove as much salt as possible and the broth was boiled and then diluted 4:1. Many of the things I offer her she will have nothing to do with matter how I try to disguise it. She is only eating small amounts of anything I give her, essentially a few bites at a time. I believe her throat is still a little sore and dry and this is what's stopping her from eating normally. I always heat her food because that is the only way she'll eat it and she has been refusing kibble for several months now. Her regular diet includes most of the ingredients in the satin balls but altered to make it suitable for her kidney diet restrictions.

In the last day or so she has had another can of chicken flakes soaked to remove the salt, several slices of white bread (she won't eat any other kind), 3 tbsps of salt free peanut butter, scrambled eggs 2:1 whites>yolks, 4 thin slices of cheddar cheese, chicken noodle soup diluted 3:1 without the noodles (she won't touch them), 2 tbsps Hi-Cal and her geri-tab. I may have forgotten something because I give her anything I can think of. She won't touch rice at all with or without broth to flavour it. She also won't have anything to do with beef of any kind so at the moment I am just trying to increase her caloric intake and not worrying too much about her kidney restrictionsl.

Unfortunately I took the bandage off yesterday and that lasted about 10 minutes before she started licking the incision, so I was unable to take any pictures because I immediately put another dressing on. However this dressing is much lighter than the one the vet applied because there is only a miniscule amount of drainage now. I wrapped her with gauze wrap over a small gauze pad and then applied a roll of vet wrap that I had. She left it alone once the dressing was back on. So I guess I will have to wait to take a picture of her now. The dressing is wrapped right around her body to keep it in place so all anyone can see is the dressing. Yes she is much thinner without the lump and is definitely starting to move around normally. I am so pleased with the results of her surgery and I know she is pleased to be able to move more freely now that the lump is gone.
I will definitely post a picture as soon as I can get her to leave the incision alone without the dressing in place. I think the battle will continue over food because she is one of the most fussy eaters I have ever had. At least she is eating something now, which is more than she was a few days ago. I appreciate all the suggestions, I've tried the ones I hadn't and some have worked, others haven't. Since the satin balls are similar to her regular food I may make some to see if they will work with the molasses added. I know the Hi-Cal tastes like molasses so she may eat them which would be great.

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate everyone's suggestion. You guys have so much knowledge to share it has geen great
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Satin balls are a great way to get some weight on a dog if she'll eat them!

So glad to hear that she's starting to move around more normally and that the drainage has about stopped When does she get her blood checked again? Were you ever able to get her to consider eating a little liver?

Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks Hazel for all your suggestions. I cooked some liver last night trying to get her to eat something with protein in it instead of slices of bread which she seems to love. When I pretended to taste it and chew it she looked the other way and when I then offered it to her she got up and moved to the other room. I tried several different methods of getting her interested in it and none of them worked. I'll try again once she's eating a bigger variety of food. I will be buying more molasses tonight and will add them to her regular food and see if that catches her attention. She is such a fussy eater I can't believe it. She has always been very particular about what food she will eat, but this is worse than it ever was.

She will have the stitches in for 14 days because my vet is away this week and wants to see her when she gets back. I assume she will do more blood work then. Her colour is much better than it was the day after surgery and the Hi-Cal and geri-tabs should do their work if we can get her to eat something more nutritious than she's eating now. Her behaviour is much more normal now and I expect the food issues will clear up in a few days

I really wish I could take the dressing off becaused the incision needs air to heal properly but if she is going to lick and chew it, I can't risk it so I've compromised with a roll of gauze so that air can get at the incision and she's not paying any attention to it.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My guys are pretty picky eaters. They love the smell of cooked chicken....try roasting a couple of chicken thighs, bone in and skin on. Once cooked and cooled enough to handle, take all the meat and skin off the bone (throw away the bone) and break into smallish pieces and see if she won't try some of that mixed in with her food. Make sure it's still a little warm, the smell is what gets them.

Cindy
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope the chicken sparks some interest. Yum!!

Does she seem to be losing much weight? Must be a load off your mind to see her moving more normally again and to see her color come back!

Now if she would just start to eat.

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM

One more suggestion. Then I'll quit..I promise.

I know an e-collar is out, I hate the things anyway. A friend of mine used her cervical collar, (foam neck brace) on her dog after she had surgery almost like Pepper's. She had free range but could not reach her side to lick. The collar can be bought at any drug store and is one size fit's all with velcro.
Yes, they do look funny but it is totally functional and so is your pet.( Pets can care less about looking funny) I am sure she is getting very tired of all this. Not only the attitude get's worn down but so does the strive to be alive.
She is eating and that is a good thing.
She may also be as little "unlevel" being use to carrying extra weight on one side and now it's gone.
Just my thoughts.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
When she first came home I wondered if she had a bad taste in her mouth because she would start to grab something to eat it and then spit it out.
Does she lick her lips a few times after doing this? or when offered food? - She could be a bit nauseous still either from the surgery or as a reaction from the kidney issues to the stomach acid. Are you feeding w/raised dishes so her head is above her stomach level while eating? This should help if it is stomach acid induced nausea

Does she like Salmon? You could try some Salmon Oil on her food, I just started Grizzleys for my CRF cat. Not only does it help w/constipation, improves skin & coat, provides essential fatty acids but also encourages her to eat cuz she loves the flavour

I'm so glad Pepper is doing well for continued improvement

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Well here is the first picture of her. It isn't very good because we had a set-to over the dressing and the t-shirt and she almost looks a little scared in the picture but she was just very ticked off that I had put her muzzle on her to get the t-shirt on after she bit me.

The dressing came apart and her incision was protruding between the wrap and she was starting to lick it. We took it off and were planning to put another one on because the T-shirt had not fit at the vet. But she looked so happy without anything on that I decided to try to T-shirt. We managed to get it on and it does fit. I didn't want her lying around on her incision because the rugs haven't been cleaned in awhile and I was afraid of infection. So on went the T-shirt after a bit of a fight. One thing at least she has the energy to fight me, she is a very stubborn girl and knows exactly what she wants/doesn't want.

I will try to get a better picture later showing the incision and her standing so you can see how good she looks without it. In this picture you can see the bulge that is left where the lump was and it seems to be irritating her a bit, but the drain was in the middle of the lump and that may be the issue.

As for her food. She loves ground cooked chicken that we bought last night. So she is now eating bread and ground chicken and we are starting to add her rice back into the chicken very slowly. I think she is just fed up with the beef since she found there is something else at Thanksgiving when I gave her the left over turkey after stripping it off the bone.

Karin that is a great idea. I actually have a soft cervical collar that would be ideal if the t-shirt doesn't work out or I have to take it off and wash it. The vet assistant suggested an e-collar but at this late stage it is really out of the question. My vet also didn't want her wearing one because it disturbs the dog too much and usually isn't necessary when there are other alternatives.

Anyway here goes...the first picture:
Attached Images

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, there's the beautiful girl! She looks sooooooo much better without the lump!!! And very stylish in her T!

I'll bet you're counting down the days till you can get the stitches removed! And I'm so glad she's eating again! Soon she'll be on her feet and finding new joy in life!

I hope she didn't get you too hard when you were putting the T-shirt on...

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
-

Quote:
When I pretended to taste it and chew it she looked the other way and when I then offered it to her she got up and moved to the other room.
sheesh , are you sure she's not a cat ?

She's too cute in her t-shirt , and seems much more comfy !!!
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM

LOL all she did last night was chase the cats and look for food. It looks like she's through the worst of it However, we are still trying to find the foods she's willing to eat. She is turning up her nose at rice or noodles or anything starchy except white bread. I suppose it's better than nothing. She seems to be catching up on the food she missed, constantly asking for food or treats.

I was so happy to get the T on her because it is so nice and light and doesn't restrict her movement at all. I have to get to the pet store and buy another T so I can change this one. She is much happier with the T than she was with the bulky dressing.

Since we adopted Pepper 3 years ago she has bitten us a few times. It has always been associated with her being frightened. She also didn't like us to trim her nails or the hair on her feet. In the early days she drew blood with her bites but now she just lets me know she doesn't like it. I think she was frightened when I tried to put the T on because she'd never worn one before or she also could have been in pain. Now we have a cure for it, if she shows signs of biting, I get her muzzle out and put it on. Then we are both happy. She doesn't mind at all wearing the muzzle which I found very odd when I first started using it.

I will try again today to get a picture of the incision and her standing so you can see the huge difference in how she looks.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
-

Awww....cute pic of Pepper even if she does look a little miffed at wearing the t-shirt.

Chasing the cats is a good sign that she's feeling better and glad her appetite is coming back. Will she eat eggs at all or just chicken and bread?
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She sounds so much like our chocolate-and-vanilla springer, Priscilla...right down to the mouthing you to let you know she was displeased! She was quite the Queen!

You know if she's back to chasing cats that she's feeling better!

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
-

That is great new dbg, she is going to be one happy dog once she has her stitches out. What does she have another week to go before that happens?
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM

No new pics yet, I'll try today to get at least one more. She is much better and seems to me that she knows the 'lump' is gone. She gets up much more easily and doesn't seem to realize she has her T on at all. There is no drainage at all from where the drain was removed and she is now protecting her toys, bones and 4 ft around her from the cats.

She seems constantly hungry, every time I make a move for the kitchen she is there right behind me begging for food. She had her chicken 1:1 with rice last night and I'll be adding eggs and the other ingredients one at a time today. We are going to continue givine her the Hi-Cal because it has all the vitamins, minerals and iron in it that she needs to heal. She is also taking the Geri Tabs without complaint... I drop one on the floor she picks it up and eats it, so no problem with her taking THAT pill anyway. I think from now on I will alternate the chicken and beef because I think she may be tired of eating beef and that's why she refused it and this way may give me an opportunitey to slide some liver in there too.

My vet is going to be so pleased next week when we take her back to have her stitches out, because as she said 'she made it through the surgery, I'm happy'. I know I am thrilled at the outcome.

I am definitely going to try to get a pic for everyone even if its only with the T pulled up so you can see the incicsion. Thanks everyone