Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Suspecting Urinal Infection On My Cat, NEED HELP!!!

Hi everyone, first off I want to thank you for stopping by to review my case.

I'm Jeff and I have a long hair domestic cat, male, about 2 yrs old that I adopted when he was just over a yr. This is an indoor cat, thus why I haven't keep him up to date with his shots, he's had his first few shots when he was adopted.

Awhile back I noticed that he hasn't been peeing much, so I looked online and found some infos and have decided to change his eating diet from pure dry food to half and half (with dry and wet). As expected he's drinking more water an peeing normally so I assume that the problem was fine.

Recently, on odd days I will find my cat hiding and not wanting to greet you when I'm home and on top of that he don't seem to want to eat, maybe just one meal a day. He walks slow and when I tried to pick him up he cries in a way where you know it's not normal. We are pretty confident that it shouldn't be leg injuries as he most just go up and down the stairs most of the time if he's not sleeping. Aside from him not eating and hiding, there's been a couple times where he pees outside his litter box(we've seen him going into he box but then we would find pees on the floor besides his litter box).

Last night, the scenario has happened again and he just slept in my room in a corner(my room has always been his safe spot). Normally he would death the door to go out at night but last night he didn't, and this morning he didn't eat as well. Right now he is just laying down under a table in a corner of the living room and there's been a pool of liquid by his litter box (assuming its urine).

If anyone here had similar experience please PM me or reply to this post, thank in advance.

Warm regards,

Jeff.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the boards!

Most of us are not vets here, we just share our experiences.

I hate to say this but this sounds like it has the potential to be serious. If this were my cat, the cat would be seeing the vet immediately. It sounds like this cat has been in this same state for at least a few days to a week (you didn't specify but that's what it sounds like).

"He walks slow and when I tried to pick him up he cries in a way where you know it's not normal."

This is a sign of pain for me - where it is, what it is is not known - but a few of the bad possibilities that come quickly to mind are, partial obstruction of some kind, internal injuries, or possibly a urinary problem (blockage, urinary tract infection, crystals) which might explain the urine issues.

I really encourage an immediate vet visit...

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoor_furball View Post
Hi everyone, first off I want to thank you for stopping by to review my case.

I'm Jeff and I have a long hair domestic cat, male, about 2 yrs old that I adopted when he was just over a yr. This is an indoor cat, thus why I haven't keep him up to date with his shots, he's had his first few shots when he was adopted.

Awhile back I noticed that he hasn't been peeing much, so I looked online and found some infos and have decided to change his eating diet from pure dry food to half and half (with dry and wet). As expected he's drinking more water an peeing normally so I assume that the problem was fine.

Recently, on odd days I will find my cat hiding and not wanting to greet you when I'm home and on top of that he don't seem to want to eat, maybe just one meal a day. He walks slow and when I tried to pick him up he cries in a way where you know it's not normal. We are pretty confident that it shouldn't be leg injuries as he most just go up and down the stairs most of the time if he's not sleeping. Aside from him not eating and hiding, there's been a couple times where he pees outside his litter box(we've seen him going into he box but then we would find pees on the floor besides his litter box).

Last night, the scenario has happened again and he just slept in my room in a corner(my room has always been his safe spot). Normally he would death the door to go out at night but last night he didn't, and this morning he didn't eat as well. Right now he is just laying down under a table in a corner of the living room and there's been a pool of liquid by his litter box (assuming its urine).

If anyone here had similar experience please PM me or reply to this post, thank in advance.

Warm regards,

Jeff.
I agree with what Marko said and would bring your cat the vet . It is not a good idea to try and diagnose your pet from what you read on line. If you call a vet up they'll tell you they need to see your pet to made a diagnosie as there are some many reasons why a pet may not be able to urine. .
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto the above, you MUST get your cat to a vet TODAY! This can become a life-threatening emergency very quickly. Only a vet will be able to diagnose and treat the problem. The longer you wait, the bigger the damage to your cat's health and the more expensive it will be to fix.

(Oh, and don't let the vets vaccinate him while he's there. Only healthy cats should be vaccinated. As well, newer protocols are to vaccinate every 3 years, not annually. I personally don't vaccinate after the kitten series.)

After your little buddy has been looked after at the vet, I strongly suggest you eliminate ALL the kibble from his diet and feed 100% wet food. Some reading for you on the subject: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Good luck! Give us an update when you have a chance.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, please Vet him. The symptom of peeing beside the litter box is familiar to me and happened when our male had struvite crystals. This is very painful for the cat. Left it can progress to bad infection as the crystals will cut him and cause internal bleeding. We did see blood in the urine. Poor little boy. Please Vet right away. It could be many other things, this is just my experience.