Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM

adopted persian and he is so matted

Well,I picked up for free a purebred persian. I begged and begged my hubby for him.I didn't want him going to a home where he would be used just for breeding as he is barely over a year old. I plan on having him neutered next month. Now,that he has a loving home he needs some major grooming done. The previous owners didn't brush him and he must have like 100 mats. I swear! I tried brushing him and least to say he didn't take to it. When we got home with him his eyes were so badly crusted that one chunk of crust was as large as my pinkie nail!

He is a very sweet boy,even likes my other cats and he has never been around other cats. I know as I have checked that if I take him in for a lion cut he will have to be dosed to calm him down. I don't want that for him.Is there any way I can get rid of the mats without drugging him?

I fear cutting them out as he has them right up to his chin,all down his sides and tummy. Tail is pretty free of mats. And he also had some dandruff so he has got some dry skin.

I want to bathe him and I will use an oatmeal shampoo for his dry skin. Does anybody have any advice on how to pretty up my new boy?

I have no pic of him as my camera has no batteries,but if I can take them from one of my kids toys I will post one of him.
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for taking this guy away from a neglectful home!

The only humane way to get rid of his mats is to have him shaved. You must never bathe a matted animal as this makes the mats much worse!

Also, I advise you to keep him away from your cats until he's been checked at the vet. He could pass on a disease to them.

You should make his appointment for the neuter now, and that way he can be shaved while he is anesthetized for the surgery!
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM

he has had his needles with his previous owners. I didn't want to bathe him now,it just wouldn't be possible. I love him so much and have had him since saturday. He is doing great. I was just about to phone my vet and inquire about the shaving. The neuter with my vet is $59. He will be done as I don't want any spraying in my home,he hasn't even shown any sign of sparying.He is just a very laid back boy. The home he had just didn't know how to care for him,they had no idea. His poor eyes,made mine tear up. I felt so bad for him. But they cared enough to know they weren't doing him any good by not grooming him. And found him our home which he is now a permanent member of!
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Momof4and6furries

Find a groomer that will do it without drugs - good grief that should NOT BE a first option. They can at least try it without - if he's laid back he will probably be just fine being shaved. I had my balinese done twice a year when he got to be senior and he was fine fine fine - no drugs!
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Your vet might shave him when he goes to get neutered.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

I had one of my cats shaved because she has long hair and was starting to clump up. She would never let me comb her. It was always a 2 person job, one would hold the legs and the other would brush her.

We took her to PetSmart and they did a really good job. I waited while they did it and she was really good. They deal with so many of them that they really know what they are doing. She would always go psycho when we could comb her and she barely made a peep when they shaved her. I guess it is because the razor doesn't hurt.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Charlie came with bad bad matts as well. He is such a bad cat! Anytime we tried to help him with his matts or even brush an area that wasn't matted he bit,scratched,growl you name it. We took him to a groomers and let them know right away that he will do anything he can to hurt them so they were prepared. They had to use a mussel, warm towels, and lots of patience. He came out with a lions cut, a bath and trimmed nails. It was worth it, we can pet him now and brush him! They are very prepared for our kind of cats!
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:14 PM

When I have him at the vets they will shave him down for me. The grand total with neuter and lion cut will be $100 give or take a few. I washed his eyes when my mom was here earlier and he was good about that. but I guess since getting cleaned and groomed wasn't a regular happening,he will take some time to adjust to the pampering! Just wish I could find some batteries so I could post a pic
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Kitty Consort

With this type of severe matting there is no recourse but to shave down and start from scratch with a brand new coat. Cutting matts out cant be done at this point.
I think that the vet could shave kitty at the time of neuter - that would be the best way.
If not, then as mentioned, as a young and a laid back cat.. there is no reason why he should need drugs for a lion cut. My groomer has done four or five of these for my one difficult- to- groom cat, and she is not what I would call laid back. She manages fine with her without any using any sedation.

Good luck with your new kitty. Kudos to you for taking him into your home, whre he will now receive the proper care and attention he deserves.
In such an awful state, he must have been just miserable, but soon will be feeling much better, renewed, like a brand new cat.
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Nutty,I am glad you are doing ok,maybe caring for this little guy,will take your mind off your brother.
The kitty will feel 100%better getting rid of the matting,it can even be painful for him.
I would have him neutered and shaved all at once $100 is a great price,you'd pay a lot more here where I am.
He'll have a nice fresh start and be even sweeter
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM

WOW Chico! You have a great memory. As for my brother he was only using us for his belongings and now doesn't bother with us at all. Oh well,at least now no worrying.

George,the cat we adopted must be in pain.I can't see how the matting can't hurt. It would be like walking with elastics caught in our hair-ouchies!

My other cats are females and being used to female spay cost-again my vet it is about $125 I couldn't believe the cost for a male-so much cheaper.

I can't wait to see him in a new growth of fur,he looks so gorgeous now even with the matting,just can't wait to see him after the lion cut.I am sure my kids are going to get a kick out of it. They are all young my oldest is 7 and the youngest is soon to be 3,with the middle child being 4.

I am just very thankful I got the chance to be his new mommy.I can only imagine what he could have ended up living like. He is still young,playful and very sweet. No animal derservs being bred only for money. And I truly believe that is what could have happened to my boy.
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Nutty,I don't think anyone could forget that tragic story :sad: for you,your mom and the poor dogs.
Thank's for taking good care of this little guy