Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Dog attack - who is liable?

Question for everyone...

Dog A is on a leash on property that is not his own, but that the owner has been given permission to walk him on.

The owners of Dog B have permission as well to be on that property.

Dog B (not on a leash and owners nowhere to be found) runs up to Dog A and attacks him.

Who is responsible? It should be the owners of Dog B, because he wasn't on a leash and not on his own property....but what happens when you're on someone else's property?

Any input?
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd say the owners of Dog B since their dog was running at large and was the aggressor. If the dog is not under the control of an owner or caretaker and off his property, he's legally considered to be "running at large". Most municipalities have ordinances that cover dogs running at large.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 8th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

The owner of Dog 'B' would be responsible.
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'd say this is a needs more info thing.

WHY are there 2 strange dogs on a property that is not their own?

Is this a kennel or boarding facility?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM

It's a field/orchard that both people (being neighbours) have permission from the owner to walk, ride ATVs, etc on.

I figured Dog B would be responsible. Just wanted to put it out there because if the situation were to go to court - would there be an issue because TECHNICALLY it's not Dog A's property OR public property?
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I think dog B as well. Surely permission was for the OWNERS to be with their dogs on the property. Did either owner have permission in writing?

I'm very curious as I'm in a similar situation. Several neighbouring property owners have given me permission to walk their land and the dog can be off leash. They have given other neighbours permission too but I think, don't know for sure, but I think none of us has it in writing because none of us is hunting.

But I wonder in your case if one had permission in writing and the other didn't if that would skew things? I assume in the case you present there are injuries? Not bad I hope.
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM

hard one!

hi

Perhaps only a lawyer could really help you in this case...the law has so many twists and turns, that can be twisted and turned so many times over, it get's real complicated...

I would go for legal counsel right away.
As much as we who are not lawyers wish to help, it's always best to go to the pros in a case like this.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM

In Canada, I was told by a cop and a trainer that the Canadian Dog Owner Act states that a dog owner is responsible for ANY act of his dog, regardless of where the dog is. Even if the dog is in someone else's care, the owner is ultimately responsible for his dog's actions.

Now, someone clearly at fault always has the option of taking you to court anyway...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM

Law student here! I'm in law school in the US, but this is common law, and since US common law is derived from UK's, just as Canada common law is, it's going to be nearly identical.

Dog B's owners are liable. It doesn't matter that both the dogs were on someone else's property - especially because they both had permission to be there. If Dog A had permission but Dog B didn't, that would change things. Otherwise with these facts it's always going to be Dog B's owners that are liable.

It's possible that there is some joint liability - but if Dog A's owners are liable for anything it would be really small - like under 15%. That's just if a court decides that Dog A's owners were assuming some risk by walking their dog on property where they knew other dogs might be unsupervised.

But I think Dog B's owners are liable for 100% of damages. They weren't supervising, their dog wasn't leashed, their dog initiated.