Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Well I can see there has been alot of talk since I was away....I really appreciate the coments...Thank you..

I am starting to understand what makes a good breeder..And I see the phrase ethical and I am understanding the meaning..An ethical breeder seems to be of importance and I see titles are a bonus..I will be sending out emails..I have an idea of the questions I will be needing to ask..And since I do want to show I will make sure that I stick to a breeder that knows all the ins and outs of it..And why wouldn't I if this is what I would like to do with my pup..

I have added some pictures of my baby girl Della..Benson and Scooby belong to my friends..
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Well I guess I can only post three..

Here is Della with Squirt my Aunts dog.
Attached Images

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Titles are not a bonus. If you are serious about getting a healthy purebred dog with a brain and a decent temperment - then titles should be a bare minimum.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Della is GORGEOUS. And look at the other Danes. And little Squirt.

Well all I can say is I know MANY breeders. Would I say they are in cliques, not at all. They would not hesitate to direct you to other breeders. It's not one of these me me me things. Oh you need to get a pup for me. Not at all.

TMSearcher, well you are on the right track when you say you want to see more. It should NOT be all about the puppies. When you are looking at the websites, you do want to see pics posted from the winners circle. Especially since you are thinking of showing. But hey, my breeder didn't only do coformation, she also did SchH. So it was nice to see titles is all this by their name. But there were extra titles also. And all dogs were TT. This means Temperment Tested.

Again, please make sure that they are outstanding members of the kennel club. And are also members of the breed club of their breed.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

OH my, Della is a gorgeous girl!! I can see why you would want another big dog for a housemate for her. Although she does seem very comfortable with any size dogs. You must be doing a marvelous job with her.

This is turning into an educational thread for me. That's a good thing.
Maybe you all could answer a question. Would it be feasible for TMS to go through Petfinder to find his/her perfect dog? Does s/he need to go to a breeder at all? I just find it sad when there are dogs out there looking for homes that more are being bred. Not just TMs. Every dog except for the "working" dogs. Sorry if it sounds like I am pushing Petfinder. Or can you even find a "show quality" dog through Petfinder. Looking at the ages of the TMs that are currently available some are fairly young. Like a year. Is that too old to start training for show?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually 14+, if s/he is looking to show, then no to the petfinder. Pup must come from an ethical breeder. They must be registered and have pedigree papers. These papers show all the lines that go back many years. And don't forget the breeders non breeding contract. Once the dog is titled and passed all health/genetic clearance, then and only then will it be lifted.

As for the age to start, well all my friends who have shown their dogs started getting them to "stack" at a very young age. Staking is the stand they do when being judged. They also get the pup used to being touched and their teeth checked as a judge would do. And look at Sandi with Stark. She already is getting him ready for the ring. If you have a pup that you want to show, then you start him/her off early. They can start competing at 6 months.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post

TMSearcher, well you are on the right track when you say you want to see more. It should NOT be all about the puppies. When you are looking at the websites, you do want to see pics posted from the winners circle. Especially since you are thinking of showing. But hey, my breeder didn't only do coformation, she also did SchH. So it was nice to see titles is all this by their name. But there were extra titles also. And all dogs were TT. This means Temperment Tested.

Again, please make sure that they are outstanding members of the kennel club. And are also members of the breed club of their breed.
Be very careful and prepared to travel.

There is an "ethical" breeder local to me. But she is barely ethical. She shows her breeding stock to a Championship and she does all the genetic testing BUT she doesn't seem to be doing something quite right. Every puppy I saw on her website that was "older" had brown noses. I still haven't quite figured it out, but then, I asked around and didn't go to her kennel to talk to her. If I am going to spend top dollar on a puppy, then I want a puppy that meets the standard, not a dog with a glaring disqualifying issue.

I ended up traveling clear across the country for my pup.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Thank You 14+kitties and mona_b for the lovely comments about my Della...She is my baby, and I can say I have no complaints about her...She is such a great girl,very well behaved...I am not new to dog ownership, so my knowledge of training plays a part...

LavenderRott, I understand where you are coming from with what you have been saying...I have been talking to quite a few people who have been giving me some input with all this... A I don't mind having to travel to get my pup...Also, I am in no rush...What I'm saying is I am not rushing out to get him right away...

And I am a he...Sorry maybe I should have introduced myself better...My name is Colton...Nice to meet everyone...
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks mona mf for my continuing education in showing dogs. It's not something I will ever do but it's still nice to learn. Y'can't let that brain atrophy y'know.
Colton - nice to meet you. Love the name btw. Very unique. Thank you for learning as much as you can about the breed you want before rushing out and buying one. It's very refreshing to see. With all the breeders getting into the business lately you never know......
Does anyone happen to know about mentoring and how long you should be mentored before starting a breeding program? Again, not something I would ever do but it's neat to learn about. Sorry, off topic I know. If you don't wish to answer it here you can PM me your answers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Colton once again welcome to the forum and like 14+ i love the name and the fact that you are learning as much as you can before making the big decision.

14+ i can't speak for all breeders but i know that the breeder i got Qman from had mentored with her breeder for 6yrs before she considered breeding. She went to shows with her mentor, then showed her dogs aswell, was there for the matings of the mentors dogs, litter delivery, vet checks the whole thing.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Colton. I also have to say that I love that name. If I still had the parts to have more kids, I would definitly name my son that.. Your researching will pay off in the end.

YW my friend.

As for the mentor, well they will always be there for you, that includes the breeding program. Here is the way I have known it to be.

You get a show quality pup, mentor helps you with everything you need to start, asks you(if possible) to come and watch her show her dog/s. This gives the owner an idea as to what it intails. You can even sign up for classes. Pup goes through all classes. Mentor is there to watch. Dog gets pointed to CH. Dog gets health/genetic tested and certified. Dog is 2 now. Owner talks to mentor about breeding. Non breeding contract gets lifted. Mentor will help you choose the best fitting "stud". Breeding happens. Mentor is there with you. Dam goes into labour. Mentor will be there for you at any time, day or night.

So to answer you question, it's usually about 2+ years. But that's not all breeders.