Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM

*Question about my Boston Terrer - HELP!*

Okay so here is the story.....

I have a 1 year 5 month Female Boston (not fixed) and a 9 month Male Boston (not fixed).

I moved in with my friend who has a 9 year old Male Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens (fixed). I moved in with him about 3 months ago and all of the dogs got along great.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago my female boston went into heat and her and my male boston mated. (not sure if she is pregnant yet, I will find out for sure in about a week at the vet.)

I took all 3 dogs to the dog park yesterday and my male boston and the male petit were having a great time, but my girl boston was just sticking by my side the whole time, wouldnt run around and acted like she wanted nothing to do with the other dogs.

Her attitude has changed towards a lot of things, this is why I am thinking she is pregnant. She sleeps a lot. Doesn't eat that much, and drinks a lot of water. She is more cuddly towards me, which before she was more independent.

Well the other night, me and my roommate gave all 3 dogs a bath. After the bath when they were all dried off, my girl boston sniffs the male petit and just flips out and attacks him with all her might. She is biting him and wont let go and swaying her self all around while biting him. I pull her off and seperate the dogs...

the male petit comes back out and everything is fine for a few hours. Then the male petit jumps off the bed to go get some water, comes back, my female boston stares at him for about 2 minutes then attacks him again.

I dont understand why she is doing this? Before the bath they were the best of friends..now she hates him. Is it because she is pregnant and she is just more aggressive? or is it because she doesnt recognize his scent from the bath? Or both things?

HELP please.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

May I ask why you haven't got any of these dogs spayed or neutered yet?

Cindy
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Hi, welcome...
I stongly suggest you read about the forum rules..... and get your pets fixed please!
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
May I ask why you haven't got any of these dogs spayed or neutered yet?

Cindy
Because i wanted her to have puppies once. My family members are going to take in the puppies, so they already have safe nice homes to go to. After that they will get fixed....

but anyways, why are you asking a question to MY question? How annoying...if you arent here to read my question and answer it please dont respond at all... thanks.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Hi, welcome...
I stongly suggest you read about the forum rules..... and get your pets fixed please!

wow what a reply, thanks for all of your help! (not) ...............
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleychloe503 View Post
I dont understand why she is doing this?
Because you're playing with a potentially volatile situation. 2 males, a female in heat (who you're taking to the dog park no less--I'm kind of surprised that didn't turn into a multi-dog fight), apparently no separation or management of the situation what so ever......honestly you're playing with fire in a number of different ways here.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
-

Here's some information for you to read .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I'd be cranky too if I was pregnant.

I would keep the dogs seperated for now to avoid potential injuries and reduce stress to your female. Please ensure she receives good vet care and consider getting the assistance of a Boston rescue group to help you place the pups in good homes.

Please get your dogs fixed so your girl doesn't have to go through another pregnancy. There are lots of benefits to spay/neuter.

(Could someone post the link of the new breeding info thread? I'm on my Blackberry and can't search for it right now.)
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; February 5th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
Because you're playing with a potentially volatile situation. 2 males, a female in heat (who you're taking to the dog park no less--I'm kind of surprised that didn't turn into a multi-dog fight), apparently no separation or management of the situation what so ever......honestly you're playing with fire in a number of different ways here.

she is not in heat anymore...i am not dumb enough to take my dog to the dog park while she is in heat. and the male petit is fixed he has no interest or never showed interest in my dog like that. and while she was in heat i kept her seperated while i left the house. i am asking why she is attacking that is all...can someone give me a logical answer here?
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post
I'd be cranky too if I was pregnant.

I would keep the dogs seperated for now to avoid potential injuries and reduce stress to your female. Please ensure she receives good vet care and consider getting the assistance of a Boston rescue group to help you place the pups in good homes.

Please consider getting your dogs fixed so your girl doesn't have to go through another pregnancy. There are lots of benefits to spay/neuter.

(Could someone post the link of the new breeding info thread? I'm on my Blackberry and can't search for it right now.)

this was planned for her to get pregnant..if she really is pregnant, the pups already have homes to go to (family members).
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Here's some information for you to read .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820
Did you read the link Rainbow left you?

If you do, you might understand some of the responses you are getting. Many, many people on this forum work in rescue and with the announcement of your upcoming "planned litter" that is a death sentence for some poor dog in rescue who will not get adopted :sad:

Your profile says that you love dogs...if you did you would understand that having "just one litter" is not a conscientious decision when so many are sitting in shelters hoping to be adopted before being destroyed.

I have no idea why your dog is attacking the other dog. Ask your vet next week when you bring your bitch in for her check up

Last edited by diandpat; February 5th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Because i wanted her to have puppies once. My family members are going to take in the puppies, so they already have safe nice homes to go to. After that they will get fixed....

but anyways, why are you asking a question to MY question? How annoying...if you arent here to read my question and answer it please dont respond at all... thanks.
bentleychloe, the majority of the members on this board are pro-animal welfare, and many are involved with, or at least understanding of, the rescue/shelter/overpopulation issue in North America.

With 3-5 million animals being euthanized for mostly unacceptable reasons, it's foreseeable that a post such as yours would receive the replies it did.

While I personally have no issue with the keeping of intact dogs, I do have an issue with backyard breeding. I, as have many others here, have dedicated most of my life to the rescue and protection of dogs who were created in just such a situation.

For example, you mentioned that your male was 9 months old. This is far too young to be tested for the majority of health issues that plague the breed, or to really get an idea even of the dog's mature temperament, let alone overall health.

The fact that you are breeding a dog who has shown an unstable temperament to a dog who isn't mature, taking into consideration that I'm willing to bet that neither of them have been properly health screened (or screened in any fashion - ie competition, conformation, obedience, agility, etc) is upsetting to many people, myself included.

Not only that, but a breeder of dogs should be experienced enough in all facets of dogs (health, genetics, behaviour, training, etc) to deal with such an issue without resorting to an online board for assistance. Responsible, reputable breeders spend years studying under mentors of their breed before even considering producing a litter of their own.

So if we seem a little unfriendly at first, it's simply our knee-jerk reaction to the subject matter of your post. In general, you will find that this board is extremely helpful - but in future, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the forum rules and the overall tone of the members before posting on this topic again, that is, if you expect to get a different response than the one you did.

Also, there is no need to be rude to those who did respond.

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

This is a PRO SPAY AND NEUTER FORUM!!!!!

I asked a perfectly legitimate question and your reply shows you know nothing about how to breed dogs, and have not taken the time to look into the proper care of your female dog once she's been bred.
Once you decide that the welfare of your dogs are first and foremost, then and only then will you get any help from me. I'll just stay away from this thread now, so yell away at me all you want, I won't see it.

Cindy
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
...i am asking why she is attacking that is all...can someone give me a logical answer here?

She gave you one, so did the other members, I don't know what you are expecting us to say, seriously. Oh, wait, I think I get it... would it be because they ARE NOT the anwsers you want to hear, that you don't understand that they are all the "logical answers".

You were given some good links with really good infos in it, I hope it helps.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Geek Club CEO

The female's not even 17 months. Still a puppy. :sad:
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:20 PM
border collie mama

Quote:

I moved in with my friend who has a 9 year old Male Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens (fixed). I moved in with him about 3 months ago and all of the dogs got along great.

I know you arent going to want to hear this, but bringing in two un fixed dogs to a house with another dog, can cause major problems, like fights, or aggression.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago my female boston went into heat and her and my male boston mated. (not sure if she is pregnant yet, I will find out for sure in about a week at the vet.)

If she is not pregnant would you please please please get her fixed and ask your family members who are willing to take one of your dogs pups to adopt, it will be the best thing they can do, they will be saving so many lives!!

Well the other night, me and my roommate gave all 3 dogs a bath. After the bath when they were all dried off, my girl boston sniffs the male petit and just flips out and attacks him with all her might. She is biting him and wont let go and swaying her self all around while biting him. I pull her off and seperate the dogs...

aggression is more common among dogs that arent fixed ( even if one is ) .. this could be a big factor as to why she attacked him..
i would definately reccomend to keep the two dogs seperated for now, and get your two intact bostons fixed as soon as possible, it is adding to the shelters problems, regardless of whether or not they have homes, there are dogs that could be saved by your family members instead of taking in one from another litter that could have been avoided.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't really say why your dog attached the other dog, but do hope that you have scheduled an appointment to have her at the vet for a checkup. If she is pregnant you are going to need a lot of help, and while many people come to these boards for help with their pregnant dog issues, the reality of it is if you want to be responsible you check with a vet not with a message board. Good luck to your dogs!
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whether she's pregnant or not, her body thinks she's pregnant. When a bitch goes into heat and especially if she's mated, the body reacts as if she's pregnant--to the extent of a false pregnancy even if she didn't 'take'. Pregnant dogs and dams with pups can be very territorial and protective, especially against males. If she's pregnant, the aggression will likely get worse. Likely you'll need to separate her from the other dogs--at least until the puppies are weaned.

This is something you should have researched before deciding to allow her to be bred. I hope you are researching now and getting her supportive veterinary care so that the pups (if there are any) get the best start possible.

Both dam and sire are too young to have been health checked--something else you should have looked into. that the pups don't suffer in the long run for it...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
aggression, pregnant