Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2005, 05:12 PM

I have to brag about my girls very quickly.

I ended up hospitalized for flu complications last night (it made my asthma act up terribly and I couldn't control it). Ellie and Dessa stayed home alone--I put Dessa in my bedroom and Ellie on the couch. Well, Ellie has stayed home before while I worked or was in class, but *never* all night. God, I didn't leave my *cats* home alone overnight until a year ago and they're almost five! I was worried the most about Dessa--I put her in my bedroom and told her to get on her bed...and she looked up at me with her big brown eyes and did it. I knew I would either be back last night, or my dad would--so he got back about 2:30 a.m. and let them out--and I had told him to take Ellie to his house and put Dessa in his outside building if she had, oh, I don't know, destroyed my house while I was gone (she isn't spayed yet and he has a dog he won't neuter--I try to tell him. He does, however, keep the dog securely fenced so that he isn't wandering around impregnating other females). I felt bad, but I didn't know what else to do. She did develop a good winter coat while she was chained and I couldn't breathe and had to decide quickly. Anyway, moot point. He put the girls back in and they were just angels. Dessa makes a sort of nice addition to our family, but part of me is beginning to realize that she would make a nice addition to *many* families with a little work. She's extremely adoptable and a very good girl. I've been so sick this last week and not able to properly exercise them for about five days now, nor get Dessa set up with a crate, etc. It's pretty obvious now that a crate is really optional for her. If anybody can get a flu shot still, do it!!!

Okay, I'm done bragging (rambling, rather). Be excellent to each other.

-Brenda
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:45 PM

Sorry you're so sick. Dessa and Ellie sound like angels!!
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry you feel so crumby but glad the kids shocked you and were on there best behaviour. They new you were not feeling well and wanted to make you smile, it worked.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it sounds like both dogs are just winners - are you considering finding another home for Dessa, or did I read that wrong?
I'm sorry you had such a crappy time with the flu!
I will probably never get another flu shot. I never get sick anyhow, I am 47 and have averaged about one cold every 8 years (Had one in 1996, then another right after last Thanksgiving, the one before that was in the late 1980s.) The one in 1996 hit me directly after I got a flu shot b/c I was volunteering at a hospital. I've never had the flu, thank doG.
I'm weird though.
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:55 PM

Carina, Ellie has hip dysplasia and we're not quite sure about the severity of it. It's a few months before she gets her second round of x-rays. I have been considering a second dog for some time, but worried that too much activity might aggravate her condition, whatever it may be. So, I wasn't actively looking for a second dog. Someone passed on to me and e-mail she'd received at work about a 14 month old pure bred black lab, not spayed, owners had moved and needed a home for her. Well, my first thought was that some byb would snatch her up and secondly, they were waiting for a good home for her, but had to keep her chained where they moved to so she wouldn't go in the road. Eh, they were *nice* people, just a little misguided. Like, they hadn't had her spayed because they didn't know if they wanted to breed her or not, but at the same time, they realized when they weren't giving her a good home and tried to find her one. Normally I would be appalled by the situation, but I had some sympathy for them. Anyway, I snagged her thinking that at the very least she could stay with me until something better came along. I mean, I certainly have an appt. to have her spayed in two weeks and have a great big fenced yard. We are also going to sign up for obedience (Ellie and Dessa both) when I'm feeling better. So now I'm torn. She is quite nice. After just a week, she's really settled in nicely. I mean, comfortable enough to spend a night alone without even being next to Ellie. (Hah, they *would* have destroyed my house then). And because I have a lot of patience with animals in general, and am committed to rescue, I've considered rehoming her b/c she's so nice and then I could take in someone else and make him/her nice too. I still could, I suppose, but I think three cats and two dogs is enough for my not too big house. One more dog would overdo it. But anyway, does that makes sense? She's so nice that with an obedience class, she could go to even an inexperienced dog owner. And! I may know somebody. I go back and forth about making contact with him. He got the same e-mail I got and inquired, but he doesn't know that I have her. Anyway. I'd love to know what anyone else thinks.

-Brenda
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I recall the thread where you told Dessa's whole story.
And...Dessa has a good home and care with you for now, so if you have to find her a better home, then you will do it right! I totally understand.
And Ellie is young, isn't she? Is she symptomatic, like limping?

Cooper has elbow dysplasia. A recent study indicates over 60% of all Rottweilers have elbow dysplasia (ie their elbow joints are not 100% sound, a product of shoddy breeding.) Yet very few actually have symptoms.
Cooper had symptoms - limped for 7 months. Now he doesn't. I have learned a lot about this over the last several years so if you have any questions I'll try being helpful!
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:20 PM

Ellie is two months older than Dessa and currently isn't symptomatic in re: limping, but sometimes seems a little stiff to me. She limped at one point when she was small which is why I had her x-rayed in the first place. My vet diagnosed her hips as "not the best, not the worst" and thought that a glucosamine regimen and staying slim would do the trick. It seems to have, so far, but I don't want to push it. I'm also worried about her front right leg--may go ahead and have a whole workup done when I take her in for her hip x-ray. I'd prefer to anesthetize as rarely as possible. You know, get the teeth cleaned--the whole nine yards. I'll keep in mind your offer of advice once I have more info on her. Thanks.