Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Busy feeders

(Chris, I'm going to post a whole slew of pics--if you can't download them, let me know and I'll email them )

We've reopened the Hazel Run Avian Restaurants but there are fewer feeders available for all the birds and much more traffic at the feeding stations.

On a typical day we might see:

Name:  Brown-headed cowbird 6-18-10.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  37.3 KB
Ms Brown-headed Cowbird

Name:  Purple finch 6-19-10.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  63.3 KB
Dashing Mr Purple Finch

Name:  Hairy woodpecker 6-19-10.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  53.7 KB
Young Hairy Woodpecker

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Name:  Mourning dove 6-20-10 B1.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  60.1 KB
A Mourning Dove taking a break

Name:  American goldfinch 6-20-10 A.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  69.9 KB
The always cheerful Mr American Goldfinch

Name:  Busy feeder 6-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  44.0 KB
A Rose-breasted Grosbeak sharing a spot of morning conversation with Mr A. Goldfinch

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Red-winged blackbird 6-19-10 A.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  55.6 KB
Ms Red-winged Blackbird stopping for a morning snack

Name:  Busy feeder 6-19-10 K.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  54.2 KB
Young Purple Finch trying to strike up a friendly conversation with one of the neighbors

Name:  Red, white and blue feeder 6-20-10 A.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  57.8 KB
And Indigo Bunting and Rose-breasted Grosbeak making a patriotic red, white and blue statement

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And then the real party starts

Name:  Busy feeder 6-18-10 C.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  63.3 KB
4 species: American Goldfinch, Rose-breasted grosbeak and the juvenile Purple Finch in back, with a Downy Woodpecker joining them on the front of the feeder

Name:  Busy feeder 6-19-10 D.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  50.3 KB
A male Purple Finch and a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak share the feeder with two American Goldfinches (one of each gender)

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Busy feeder 6-19-10 G.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  79.6 KB
Seems like the entire American Goldfinch clan crashes the party some days, bringing a Chipping Sparrow along for a little variety...

Name:  Busy feeder 6-19-10 J.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  76.5 KB
...and the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Downy Woodpeckers often join them.

After the party, the cleanup crew moves in to clean up the grounds.

Name:  Eastern towhee under the feeder 6-20-10.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  87.2 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Live well, laugh often

Wow, that is a gorgeous assortment of feathered friends .
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I guess the bear raid was a blessing in disguise--they seem to love the platform feeder!

Old June 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wonderful pics and captions, Hazel.

So how do you stop the big black birds from scaring all the little birds away? As soon as I put out seed, they are there and eat all the seed

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
-

I'm salivating again Hazel

Your opinion on something Hazel....I don't put out sunflower seeds on their own, they are mixed in with the food that I use. I've been loathe to put them out on their own because of the amount of squirrels we have and the Bluejays are real hogs for them ....Do you think they would get raided to the point that there would be nothing left for the rest of the crew?....We don't get the many varities of birds that you do but I'm wondering just how much lb wise I would be using weekly and do you find it very costly?

Thanks for the offer of emailing them to me, I'm surprised they all came in with the exception of one first time around, but you know me patience of a ....
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
So how do you stop the big black birds from scaring all the little birds away? As soon as I put out seed, they are there and eat all the seed
We only get the red-winged blackbirds and our habitat is pretty marginal for them--there are only 3 for sure...maybe 4 total. So we don't have much of a problem. Do you have grackles? Starlings? It might be as simple as finding a seed that the other birds like but the blackbirds don't. When we lived in Milwaukee, I found that seed mixes containing millet attracted house sparrows and starlings. When I switched to all black-oil sunflower seed (BOSS), the sparrows and starlings spent less time at the feeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Your opinion on something Hazel....I don't put out sunflower seeds on their own, they are mixed in with the food that I use. I've been loathe to put them out on their own because of the amount of squirrels we have and the Bluejays are real hogs for them ....Do you think they would get raided to the point that there would be nothing left for the rest of the crew?....We don't get the many varities of birds that you do but I'm wondering just how much lb wise I would be using weekly and do you find it very costly?
I'm glad the pics came through, Chris!

If you think the jays and the squirrels will be a problem, try setting up another feeder offering peanuts (with or without the shell...just make sure they're unsalted). Our squirrel management techniques used to include a separate feeding area with a delectable squirrel/jay treat (peanuts). Might work to keep the BOSS supply available for the smaller birds.

We're paying less than $16 US for 50 pounds of BOSS. The price does fluctuate according to crop successes and availability, of course, but it's really not that expensive here. In addition, this time of year the birds seem more interested in the high-calorie suet than in the BOSS or niger thistle. We've really not gone through that much seed the past few weeks except for the night the bear ate the entire bucket feeder full

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a big WOW!!! and also that those photos are amazing! You must love having so many beautiful guests feeding at your place. We have a couple of feeders and enjoy the ones we have visit - but nothing like the assortment you have.

Thanks for posting these.

Diane
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,you are so lucky,I would be in heaven with all those birds,the Indigo Bunting is gorgeous,the last bird looks like a Painted Redstart,beautiful.
I have Grossbeaks,Goldfinches,Chickadees,Cardinals,Blue Jays etc,etc...
Oh and I forgot my 4 Crows who eat leftovers..

We buy 25kg bags with good quality seeds(50+lb's)for $25,but it even has peanuts in it,no millet(sp?)it last us about 3 weeks.
Plus we get 15kg bags of corn for the Pigeons and peanuts in the shell for my Squirrels,+Suet for the Wood-peckers.....and we live on Mac&Cheese
Oh and
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post
Just a big WOW!!! and also that those photos are amazing! You must love having so many beautiful guests feeding at your place.
Believe it or not, the main reason we bought the house was the bird habitat around it. There are lots more pics in the TJTwitter thread if you want to see more... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68148&page=21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
the last bird looks like a Painted Redstart,beautiful.
It's actually an eastern towhee, chico. I love those little guys

Here's another pic from earlier this spring that shows him a little better:

Name:  Rufous-sided towhee 5-16-10 A.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  101.6 KB

Old June 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

hazel I love your bird pics!! I wish I lived there!

L4H...I get tons of starlings here so I went to birdfeeders with little perches or no perches at all so the starlings couldn't grab hold of anything. This year they haven't been bothering me. *touch wood*

I even have a feeder where u can adjust the perches too.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That was a good idea, finding feeders with perches too small for the starlings. Glad to hear it did the trick on the starlings! (I'll run through my anti-jinx routine for you, k? )

You could always plan a visit... Probably only about an 18 hour drive...