Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Prin:

I am not encouraging them, I was just trying to get more information about the situation, so I could offer advice without jumping to conclusions. What I am talking about is that I have a friend who breeds dogs also, she will often foster a dog out that she owns but does not have room for. One of these dogs ended up getting bred by the foster owners neighbours dog, it can happen so fast they may not have been able to stop it. I am just saying that maybe there is a reason the dogs are not already fixed, we needed more info.

I am for spaying/neutering as much as the rest of you, but I know that a lot of people claim it is too costly, most of them just have "some dog" that should not be bred and feel like they are wasting their money, I have talked to people like that. It seams to be more with males because they always think there is no need since they will not have to worry about unwanted puppies. It is too bad there is not a way for people to get money from the county or city they live in once they show papers that the dog has been fixed, that may make people more willing to do it. Here they offer cheeper rates for dog licenses, but the difference is not great enough.

Hey, we should all get a petition together and send it to our mayors! You think that would do anything?
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM
-

But there's some organizations that helps with spay/neuter costs, and some vets have good fees (mine charges $150 for 80-100 pound dog) I just think if people don't have the money for it, they shouldn't get a dog.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM

There are also countless vet tech schools that will do it at a lower rate to give the students practice, and organizations like the Bond Foundation who help with the costs and hold lower cost spay/neuter clinics. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Frenchy. Cost of spaying and neutering shouldn't be a factor, as people adopting an animal should include this as one of the necessary costs.
If they are unable to afford that, I can't imagine what would happen if the animal got sick
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Hey, since when did this post change to the "pick on me" thread. There are so many comments that make no sense I am not going to respond, as for the one about our kennel dog, he is my husbands hunting dog, he was bought to be a working dog, not a pet. I know I will get many responses to this but not all people with dogs have them as pets, some have them for what they were intended for, us it is hunting, which is also why we breed, to produce hunting dogs. You have your dogs for your own reason, that is non of my business and where you keep your dogs is also none of my business.

And how did everyone get the impression I was FOR unethical breeding in the first place? Do you not read the whole post? I thought we were supposed to be providing advice and support on this site, that is why I joined, or maybe I thought wrong.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Who is picking on you? You gave reasons why people don't neuter and we gave you ways they could.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

It seems the original person that started thread is gone,and i was not picking on anyone,you answered my question,your dog is not a family pet, it is for hunting,great..
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_have_too_many View Post
I thought we were supposed to be providing advice and support on this site
Yes and we did ; SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM

This thread has run its course, and is now closed. Please do not reopen this issue or discussion in a new thread, as it will also be closed.
Closed Thread