Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

Is it hairball season or what???

Kira is really spitting hairballs out and by spitting, I mean she vomits her meal, while eating or a few seconds later, and I find a hairball. I know it's gross but I've become good at searching vomit with toothpicks to see what's in there So far she threw up: February 22: can food + hairball
February 18; can food + hairball? (not sure about that one)
February 16: raw food + hairball
February 15: can food + hairball
February 7: can food, no hairball
January 27: can food + hairball
The last hairball that I know of before January was in late September. I noticed she is shedding a bit more and she must be swallowing a lot of fur because she often grooms Jadzia. Jadzia is shedding more, her fur is thicker but she doesn't have hairball issues. I try to brush them at least once a week ( they are shorthair); Jadzia loves to be brushed but Kira doesn't. Since mid-September, I've been giving them quash baby food 3/week, about ¼ tsp each time. It doesn't seem to be helping. Should I give some everyday or should I switch to pumpkin?

Thanks!
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Yup hairball season is in effect as soon as shedding season starts

If you can try brushing a little more often even if it's just Jadzia since she likes it, that will help a little. Butternut squash gives the same effect as pumpkin, you can go upto 1 tsp per day but it's always best to increase slowly and keep an eye on their poops to make sure their system can cope without resulting in diarreah or constipation.

My grrl, also a shorthair, loves being brushed & gets a short brushing twice everyday with the Kong Zoom Groom gives a nice massage while it brushes.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM

The brush and comb are now always on the counter; I will brush them every chance I get!!!
I bought a rubber grooming mitt a few years ago, it looks a little like your Kong but Kira doesn't care for it. She tolerates the flea comb, I use it instead of the brush for her but she won't sit still for long. It's always "Mom, I have very important things to do right now, I don't have time to get brushed so see you later!"
When I brush Jadzia it's "Oh don't stop brushing, I loves this!"

Maybe if I keep combing Kira regularly she might get used to it and maybe come to love it!
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM

Using the flea comb for Kira is good, the bristles are close together & will trap more loose fur in a shorter amount of time. As long as you try to make it as positive an experience as you can, find some sort of treat Kira really likes & treat her afterwards. Pay close attention to the signals she gives you telling you she's had enough & finish the comb/brush session when she is ready.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying