Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

for Sylvie

I remembered you picking up a few seeds from these guys when I met you at Chris's so just thought i'd give you a taste of what you could be in for....

Fields of black eyed susans... they can kinda get away on you if you aren't careful (and, obviously, i'm less than careful)

But they sure are a bounty of colour at a time when many other things are dying off

i'm not sure how they all came to be... I tried some wildflower seed in that area about three years ago and these may have lingered from that, who knows! but I love them.

Unfortunately, the wonderful patch is right in the middle of the newly fenced area of my yard, so.... we'll see how they hold up to doggies

Day one of doggy playdates:
Happy Doggies

Less happy flowers
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Garden nut

WOW look at all those flowers! That's bee and butterfly HEAVEN! I can just imagine the buzzing sound in there.

A house down the road from us has a mega steep slope in their front lawn. So they raked off the slope and planted wild flower packs. OMG the color! It's so pretty and I love it when we drive by that house in late summer. They live right beside a cemetery too and many flower seed "escaped" their front yard and now grow among some grave stones. It looks very pretty. This year I see a lot more have "escaped" and the flowers are slowly going further and further down the road.

I love to see mass plantings like that.

I want seeds too! hehe
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; October 3rd, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Thank you Otter

Plants don't usually grow like that here. The only 2 that I had trouble with were lambs ear and can't think of the name of the other one but it is a pest. It has practically taken over my whole garden. I was warned but thought it wouldn't happen to me

All of my plants have stopped blooming except for one beautiful rose.

I just love your black eyed susans.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
WOW look at all those flowers! That's bee and butterfly HEAVEN! I can just imagine the buzzing sound in there.
It was a cloudy day when I took the pics, so less buzzing, the bees seem to like feeding on sunny days better, on a sunny day there would a been a bunch a fuzzy bumble bees in those pics. Sometimes i'd see four or five fuzzy butts on one flower! Oddly enough, not many butterflies this year, maybe it's just been too cold for them to bother coming this far north
Sadly, we had a HUGE frost two days ago and they are all pretty much dead now, shot down in their glory :sad:
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Gorgeous flowers, otter! And flower-tramplers. Did they look that happy before or after they ran through the flowers?

And when did you get your yard fenced? I'll bet Nolie loves that!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Gorgeous flowers, otter! And flower-tramplers. Did they look that happy before or after they ran through the flowers?

And when did you get your yard fenced? I'll bet Nolie loves that!!!
I think the doggies were happy before and after but I think they were especially proud of their trampling efforts It was kinda funny cause the first place they tore through was the flower patch Now they have figured out the flowers slow them down, more efficient to just avoid them and keep your speed up.

I've been working on the fence pretty much since Nolie got here....the day I took the flower pics was our first "trial run" to see if it would keep Nolie contained. So far so good (but there are definitely a few places held together with the equivalent of duct tape )
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Half Way To Crazy

that is a beautiful feild of flowers!!!

at least they are only trampled, if my two sees anything trampled they think it is fair game and EAT IT !!!! regardless of what it is..
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
-

Those are gorgeous.

I bought a black eyed susan plant a few years ago but it died. :sad: