Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Should I vaccinate Sweetie

Sweetie is going to be snipped this week or next. He belonged to some people up the road but they seem to have forgotten about him and he rarely leaves my porch. He would love to come inside but we are too full, alas, and I'm pretty sure one more would tip the balance.

He is well over a year and has probably never been vaccinated. I read somewhere that cats older than a year - if they are not infected with something already - acquire a 'natural' immunity to most of the common diseases. He has just finished getting over a case of rhino (which spread to a few of the others - oh joy - but everyone seems to have recovered without intervention).

I'd be interested to know what people think.
Here's Sweetie.
Attached Images

Last edited by badger; October 19th, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
chronically insane.

Rabies 1 year and Distemper 1 year Otherwise, leave the rest to nature. All my cats and fosters are kept up to date with the rabies and distemper vaccines but I do not over vaccinate at all and am hoping to be able to switch over to the better kinds that are coming out now by Merial.

Yes. Vaccinate please. The incidence of the disease is still higher then the possible bad side effects from the vaccine. As in, kitty is more likely to get bit by a rabid raccoon then die from VAS.

Plus, it's generally illegal to not vaccinate for rabies ..!!!

And feline distemper is still around as well. Both the shelters I volunteer at have lost kittens too it so I absolutely still vaccinate my cats because there is no way I would take that risk of tracking it in the house someway.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks.
I asked the vet about rabies - none of my boys have been vaccinated - and there have been no cases on the island of Montreal. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's obligatory.
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM

If it were my decision I would not vaccinate there are more negative issues with vaccinating than just VAS.

The panleukopenia vaccine was originally developed using a culture that included feline kidney cells, which according to this study is one cause of increased cases of Chronic Renal Failure in cats.

Another issue with vaccinating is the prevalance of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia in over vaccinated animals. The label on the vaccines clearly states "vaccinate only healthy animals" of course the vets never tell us that, for years and years my grrl Duffy has had "the itchies" around sept/oct (which is when she was vaccinated) I was never told what it was despite repeated asking of 2 different vets at 2 different practices & she was still vaccinated - my homeopath vet tells me about the label on the vaccine & informs me it's an allergic reaction to the vaccine itself

A good article here Science of Vaccine Damage by Catherine O' Driscoll

An interesting article on rabies vaccines here Rabies the Big Scam

Before Duffy was diagnosed with CRF I was unaware of the risks of vaccinations (cuz vets never tell you) but became more informed after reading the kidney sites so I opted not to have her combo vaccines done last year because of the panleukopenia but still went ahead with the 3 year rabies which of course the vet didn't tell me it says "only vaccinate healthy animals" on the vial she was lethargic & not herself for about 2 weeks after - man did I ever regret that decision . Since then I've gone only to a homeopath vet who tells me these things that others never did.

New Vaccine Protocol

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
chronically insane.

If rabies if not prevalent where you live, then well, that's your decision. Where I live though, it is around and my house is against the woods. All it would take is one rabid animal in the woods to kill ALL my cats. My ferals are all vaccinated as well. Imagine a rabid raccoon or something biting an unvaccinated Buddy and then me not knowing what the heck happened and he got in the house and bit someone else (he plays rough) and then probably all my cats would end up with rabies if I didn't vaccinate them. I'd rather not take the risk.

I am doing the 3 year for everyone ONCE on the advice of my vet to do it as well as the shelters saying it's okay. After the 3 year one is up, I'm hoping there will be alternatives out by then.

But yeah, there have been distemper problems around here. Considering I foster kittens as well and am at the shelter alot, I'd rather not take the risk.

My vet always has said to only vaccinate healthy animals He always does a complete health history first. He would never vaccinate them if they even had a URI. Maxwell was very sick when I first had him and the vet put off his vaccines until he was better. Umm it's common sense Even me just working as a helper in the clinic I know that.

I just have seen sick animals dying in the shelter and would rather be safe then sorry.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009