Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM

Long lasting chew/treat

Hello everybody.
I have a lab that I need a long lasting chew/treat for. The situation is...when we go over to Grandma and Grandpa's house for dinner once a week, she gets spoiled (what else are grandma and grandpa's for?). She gets her dinner at the same time that we do, but again she is a lab so it's gone in about 3 seconds. She will then go to them and beg at their plates. She never does this to my husband or I and NEVER does it at home. She doesn't really get things from them (once she stold the ends of pickles from my dad's leg - he doesn't eat them for some odd reason - and she gets carrots). So we started giving her a denta bones until her dentist yelled at me for all the fractured molars he sees with them (we were there for something else). So we switched to Alpo chews on his advice but she tries to swallow them whole. So we switched to Jumbone's. They take her a pretty long time to eat which is good because then she isn't licking the edges of plates. I don't like to give them to her and I don't think that they are agreeing with her 100% either.
My question, what long lasting chew or treat can I give her to last while we eat? She only gets it once a week at my parents house. We used to just put her on her blanket and do a down stay, but the grandparents wouldn't enforce it with me. Oh, and it's not an option for her to stay home and not go to their house...they love her more than they love me...
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

the problem is giving her these treats is actually reinforcing her begging behavior. I think you'd be better off crating her while you eat. Collapsable crates (large enough for labs) are available at places like Petco or petsmart. (maybe even walmart). my mom has one, so when we visit for dinner & we bring our dog, we get out the travel-crate, pop it up, and viola... a contained dog during dinner. you can crate in the same room so she can still BE with the family, but not begging.

as for "long lasting chews" - let me know if you find one. I think the best long lasting chew is a real raw bone - at least these are the only things my dog doesn't rip through in 5 min. I wouldn't treat the dog to leave me alone during dinner though, I would simply crate, or keep the dog on-leash in a down-stay during the meal.

AFTER I am done w/ my meal, my dog gets fed... as a reward for being good while I ate.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I'm with Jessi. Pup gets fed AFTER we eat and on my terms. No begging.

As for long chews, I use beef neck bones. Last for a good long time. Keep em in the freezer and they last even longer. And theyre not a weight bone so they grind away at the bone, wont damage teeth.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:20 PM

My doggies don't eat around when I eat... They eat when they get up and before they go to bed. I eat whenever I please.

If your parents can't stop feeding her (I know what that's like), then maybe a kong with frozen things in it would help.
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Honest Contributor

i think it's grandma and grandpa that need to be trained

i too think it's a good idea all around to NOT reward your dog for begging at the table... the dog should not be in the same room as your are when you eat, period. even when you're visiting somewhere... your dog is smart and can behave i would put the dog in another room altogether and give a toy or two during "human dinnertime", and then doggie dinner comes after as a reward for being good. after a few times of this, it will get easier and easier for everyone. good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:03 PM

Yes Grandma and Grandpa REALLY need to be trained. We've had numerous talks about it. I've even taken my mom to training classes with me. But this is their only grandchild. I don't even want to think what will happen if/when we have human babies!!
This situation only happens at their house. At my house she has designated times that she eats and they aren't when we eat. She just knows how to play grandma and grandpa. She's got those droopy lab eyes and my mom starts lecturing me that she's hungry and needs food.
It really is a grandma and grandpa problem.
A kennel is pretty much out of the question at their house based on their set up, size of house and too much crap. But I can lock her in another room or outside.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'd still be interested in learning if there really is a long lasting chew for her though that she won't eat the entire thing in less than 5 seconds.
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I'd still be interested in learning if there really is a long lasting chew for her though that she won't eat the entire thing in less than 5 seconds.
it depends on what you are looking for: consumable treat, or toy for chewing pleasure? or a mixture of both?

a great consumable, long-lasting treat: raw meaty bones (knucklebone, meaty ribs, turkey necks, pork or beef necks, pig's foot, etc). served half-frozen is even better!

toy for chewing pleasure: flavored non-edible nylabones http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pageid=62

a mixture of both: any KONG toy filled with treats, or yummy stuff (peanut butter, cream cheese, etc) served frozen so it takes time to lick it all out http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

another idea:

Kyjen Fill-N-Freeze Bone is the ultimate dog bone that will help occupy your pet for extended periods of time. Simply fill with water, juice, or broth, put in the freezer until frozen, and then give to your dog to enjoy. Your dog will keep occupied as he bites at the bone to extract the melting liquid from the leak holes. Also great for relieving stress and helping with separation anxiety. Made with non-toxic durable materials so you can refill and freeze over and over again

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Kyjen_F...-www.google.ca

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
another idea:

Kyjen Fill-N-Freeze Bone is the ultimate dog bone that will help occupy your pet for extended periods of time. Simply fill with water, juice, or broth, put in the freezer until frozen, and then give to your dog to enjoy. Your dog will keep occupied as he bites at the bone to extract the melting liquid from the leak holes. Also great for relieving stress and helping with separation anxiety. Made with non-toxic durable materials so you can refill and freeze over and over again
Now that sounds messy! Maybe wanna try that one in uncarpeted spaces
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM

Training Grammy and Grampy

Angie loves her Huge Nylabone, she loves her Cuz, she loves her stuffed cat, her balls, her rope toy, my shoes, my socks, yeah just about anything will do.

My dogs have always eaten when they liked--mostly I haven't had "wolfy" eaters, tho. And as they grow up, they get the "go lie down!" command pretty often at my dinner time.

Grandma and Pa need to be trained, imho. Dogs never get fed from the table. Always after the human's have finished, a few table scraps on a plate on the floor in the kitchen.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM

TD,

A few weeks ago you posted some info for me about raw bones and you showed pictures of smoked ones. I know that smoked bones are not ideal because they've gone through a cooking process, but what about baked or slow roasted bones? I found some thick shin bones (meatless) that were slow roasted. Would those be a durable bone for my goldens to chew on or are they similar to smoked bones? Could a thick smoked or baked shin bone really splinter??
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I would say yes. Smoked, slow roasted, baked, etc is all cooking.

Personally, I wouldnt attempt it.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I have two shih tzus and they both know that when the family is eating they are to sit quietly. They usually end up laying under the table and will occasionally come and sit beside me to see if there is any chance of a treat. When I am finished, I will then give them any leftovers (meat, veggies, even bread), but I hand feed them a couple of little scraps. When I say "All gone", the both walk away.

I free feed my dogs - there is always food in their bowls and they eat when they want. It's usually in the morning and then in the evening around 7:00. The ONLY time they will beg is if there is cheese involved or peanut butter in the morning!

As for grandparents....yes, that can be a problem, but I have explained to my parents that if they want my dogs to be well behaved in their house, they need to follow the rules. So far....so good!
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Thanks ScottB; that's what I thought--wanted to make sure though. There sure is a lot of crap out there that people sell! I know....DUH! I am always just amazed by how companies can get away with selling poor dog food, toys, chews, etc.
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:23 AM

I agree with no begging. Giving him this extra food only tells him that it's okay to ask more which will not be good for him. I suggest that you only feed him the right amount or else your dog will be spoiled.

Last edited by igauresh; November 18th, 2006 at 07:09 AM.