Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hooray! It's Autumn.

9 months till our next hot Summer. Yay! Must be Spring in the cold countries so I hope to see someone else's flowers and gardens soon. To start this thread though, a Blood Lily, Haemanthus coccineus. Given to me by my S.I.L. and flowering for the first time.
Then a Kniphofia(red hot poker). I rushed out the other morning to try and get a photo of a New Holland Honeyeater that was feeding on the nectar of this plant, and while I failed because that bird had flown, I did get a photo of this female Crimson Rosella, a very rare and welcome visitor here. The male is a stunning bird and I am hoping they are shifting into this area.
Attached Images

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god, I love that bird, can't imagine seeing them flying free. our snow is starting to melt, have unseasonally warm weather right now, I see flooded basements in the near future
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love that Rosella, too! Hope you can manage to catch a shot of the honeyeater later, GF!

That blood lily is pretty!! I've never seen one before...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM

It would be fasinating to see a bird outside like that instead of robins and sparrows all the time.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link to Crimson Rosellas. We saw them a lot as we drove down beside the Grampians Mt range to dog shows at Hamilton but all the time we have lived here I've hoped we'd see them shift into this area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Rosella

Our common Rosella here though is the Eastern rosella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Rosella

We often have these in the garden and see small groups of them in the forest opposite us, or along roadsides. Strange that they are so colorful against our very drab 'bush'.

The Blood Lily is strange, Hazel, it puts up two huge leaves, then when they die down you get these red shaving brush-like flowers. Quite expensive to buy, prices range from $13.50 a bulb to $33 or more. Glad mine were a gift.
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM

I thought the crimson one had amazing colors, but so does the Eastern. Are they really loud birds? I wouldn't care how much noise they made, they are beautiful.