Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Unhappy help cat urine

I have a cat whose urine is so stong when using the litter box it drives us out of the house. This is not your normal odor as I have had many cats and the other cats that I have now do not have this horrible odor. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has an idea as to how I can eliminate this ..thanks
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:22 AM

Cat Urine

I have found that with my cats if they are eating cheap cat food,or a cat food high in ash their urine is alot stronger

Try checking the brands of cat food for one that is low in ash,or switch to a premium cat food and see if that helps
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Cat urine - strong smell

Cat's urine is usually not strong smelling if they are altered (neutered or spayed). Reasons for strong smelling urine are often urinary tract infection which would be easily assertained by your vet. Very concentrated urine can have a strong odor and this may result from feeding dry food. The other trick is to look for a litter that is odor absorbent. There are a number of good ones available through your pet store. You may try to change the diet and switch to raw food which may have an affect on elimination odors.

©Michael Goldberg DVM

Michael Goldberg DVM
Hudson Place Veterinary Clinic
1300 West 73 Ave.
Vancouver, B.C. V6P 3E7
604-266-2731
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

strong cat urine

Hello im am an owner of a male cat and he also has a strong urine smell. He's only 1yr old and was infact spayed/neutered right before i got him, the doctor told me this was a way of letting other pets know that this is his area but how long does this problem last for on a spayed/neutered cat?
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM

cats and strong urine odor

I have had Wilma for 8 years (she is now 9 years old) and never she never have a smell urine odor until the last month when i introduced to her a new kitten (Chloé). I should mention that since October 2009 Wilma has been treated with Kidney failure (every 2 to 3 weeks goes for a fluid injection). Wilma is spayed and i use dry food from vet shop and 1 can a day for moisture. Is it possible that my new arrival Chloé suffers from tract infection? We have been blaming the odor on Wilma's kidney failure but i am not too sure.
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noëlline View Post
I have had Wilma for 8 years (she is now 9 years old) and never she never have a smell urine odor until the last month when i introduced to her a new kitten (Chloé). I should mention that since October 2009 Wilma has been treated with Kidney failure (every 2 to 3 weeks goes for a fluid injection). Wilma is spayed and i use dry food from vet shop and 1 can a day for moisture. Is it possible that my new arrival Chloé suffers from tract infection? We have been blaming the odor on Wilma's kidney failure but i am not too sure.
Since your older cat has CRF the smell of her urine is going to be less noticable than a healthy cat because it is not as concentrated as a cat with fully functioning kidneys.

I would say it is likely the odor is either your kitten with a urinary tract infection or you are just noticing the normal new stronger smell vs what you are used to with Wilma's dilute urine smell.

In either case it would be a good idea to have both cats into the vets for a urinalysis, for Wilma to check her kidney functions and for Chloe to check for a urinary tract infection. If both are clean, then it's likely just the difference in smell healthy vs dilute.

On the topic of Wilma's CRF, she really should not be eating any dryfood at all (unless that is absolutely the only thing she will eat), she needs the moisture from the canned food as her main diet.

Quote:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...=show&item=003
Because water balance is so crucial, it is best to feed a high-moisture diet to help keep the cat hydrated; do not feed only dry food. Feeding mostly or only canned food, even though it is high in phosphorus and protein, provides the moisture and calories that these cats need, in a very palatable form that most cats will happily eat. You can also get low-phosphorus renal diets in canned form.

Dry cat food causes dehydration even in healthy cats, and is not appropriate for CRF cats (unless, of course, it's the only food he will eat!).

More info can be found here: Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying