Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Leandra

Is my new puppy a Pitbull?

Sadie was abandoned in front of my house. I just want to now what breed she is so that I can raise her right. I want to be the best mom to her that I can be. She is still a puppy by looking at her teeth. I'm guessing she's only a few months old. She learns very fast as seeing as I've only had her a week and she's house trained and is learning how to sit. She is very obedient and loves to make everyone happy. She is very energetic and turns everything into a game. She's a people loving dog and will crawl into anyone's lap and cover them with kisses. She doesn't hate water, but doesn't particularly care for baths. She won't stay still to let get her measurments, but when she lays down she's as long as a bed pillow. Here is an album that has some pictures of her in it. http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm231/lawalls_album/

~ Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

To my untrained eye.I would say she is a pittieX,she is adorable,beautiful colouring
I hope her beeing part pit is not going to scare you,she is just as wonderful as any other dog would be,which you already know,right
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I would say pitx or stafforshire cross, the eyes look more staff, either way she's just adorable and will be a great pet.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Gianna's Mommy

Yup, she looks part pitull! But don't worry, my mother has a Rhodeshian/pitbull mix (who we belive was either a fighting dog or was beat) and she is the most wonderful dog in the world. The best dog anyone could have. She's a lover, she gives hugs (no kisses really) and will "spoon" with you in the bed. I wish my dog was as sweet as my moms. Not to get off topic... but Pits have such a bad reputation, but yet they could be the sweetest dog. (I would own a Pitbull myslef, but I'm more of a BIG dog type of girl (Mastiff and Great Danes, pits are just not big enough for me...lol) Congrats on the new puppy. She's a beauty!
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't look at the pictures and I will tell you why - unless Dalton has a pit bull ban, there is no reason why the breed of this puppy will matter if you raise it right.

Find yourself a dog training class and make sure to socialize it and you will have a lovely dog.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Leandra

Well, there still talking about making the Pit ban national I don't want to have to worry about her. I love her! She is so adorable! I never met a mean pit in my life. I only want to know what breed she is so I can get an idea on how to raise her and what kind of temperment she is likely to have. Thanks so much for all the help.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
-

I'd say pit mix with piglet she's adorable !
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Where did you hear about a National Pit Bull ban in the U.S.? I am pretty active in fighting BSL and have missed this entirely.

The pittie owners that I know didn't really do anything special to make sure that their dogs were well behaved companions. It is all about training and socializing. As for temperment - a lot of that is inherent from the parents and since you don't know about the parents, it would be irresponsible of me try to guess about your pups temperment.

Just remember - FAIR BUT FIRM. Don't set your pup up to fail, be fair with any corrections and remember to be consistant in your expectations.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Leandra

Some California senator was trying to get it through not terribly long ago. There was a really big outrage over it. He was just mad because his kid got attacked by one that was brought to be a fighting dog. I think it's ridiculous because it's not the dogs fault. The AKC put out shirts and what ever they could to raise awareness and to try to stop the ban. I think it has mostly died down, but the guy is still trying to find a way to sneak it through.
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Ever notice how it's always the politicians who have had something like that happen in their family who are the ones all gung ho? If it had been a chihuahua that bit his kid would he be throwing such a hissy fit to have them banned?

She's adorable btw
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
unless Dalton has a pit bull ban, there is no reason why the breed of this puppy will matter if you raise it right.
Huh? although I do agree that this puppy needs to be raised right. BSL has nothing to do with it. People who have a close-minded attuitude about the breeds of pit-bulls is nationwide. While yes, provinces/cities/states that have a BSL..put more fear into the way people precieve pitties, but I think overall sticma concerning pit-bulls is nationwide.

It's sad really. They are such a good breed, when in the right hands. And by that I mean, someone who is knowledgable about the breed, through and through.

BTW, Thanks for taking her in and giving her a loving forever home Lawalls

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 16th, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry I can't offer any ideas, not that doggie smart, but would like to say I enjoyed your pictures. BTW, does Echo rule house and Sadie too?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

She looks like a pit x she is very cute. The ban is a bunch of garbage we all know it, the owners are the problem
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Huh? although I do agree that this puppy needs to be raised right. BSL has nothing to do with it. People who have a close-minded attuitude about the breeds of pit-bulls is nationwide. While yes, provinces/cities/states that have a BSL..put more fear into the way people precieve pitties, but I think overall sticma concerning pit-bulls is nationwide.

It's sad really. They are such a good breed, when in the right hands. And by that I mean, someone who is knowledgable about the breed, through and through.

BTW, Thanks for taking her in and giving her a loving forever home Lawalls

ACO22
IF one lives in a city that has BSL, bringing a pittie puppy into that city can be a death warrant for the dog.

That statement had absolutely nothing to do with her puppy, per sae - more about what the bylaws are in Dalton.

Last edited by LavenderRott; April 16th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I just wanted to say your girl looks like a pittie / boxer mix. She has the exact shaped head and face that my next door neighbour's dog has!! Even the white on the feet is the same!! so cute!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I just wanted to say your girl looks like a pittie / boxer mix. She has the exact shaped head and face that my next door neighbour's dog has!! Even the white on the feet is the same!! so cute!

Cindy
yeah staffy/boxer i would say they are brindal markings i think.
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
i would say they are brindal markings i think.
No, Sadie does not have brindal markings.

ACO22