Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Red face Puppy Training....

Hi all.. I just joined recently and now I'm here seeking the help I want/need.. the dreaded potty training among other things.

A little background:
We have 2 yorkiepoo (yorkshire terrier/poodle) puppies just hitting 4 mths. old. We've had the boys (the runt and the baby of the same litter) for about 6 weeks and they are not fully trained but getting better as I've not really expected them to be perfect within the first few weeks we've had them. We were originally getting 1 but the runt weasled his way in and tada .. here he is. Love them both to death.. no going back now.

Ok so on to my situation.... any assistance/suggestions are greatly appreciated and most welcomed. Please be forewarned, that this may get quite lengthy.

1) I have a puppy pad..which both use to do their business. However, Connor (the baby) will pee on the pad but not pooh. Pooh, he reserves for under the table. Fergus (the runt) will pooh on the pad but not pee. Pee, he reserves for the hardwood floor and occasionally the area rug. He will stop wherever he is and just pee.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to get both of them to use the pad for both jobs? They were semi paper trained when we got them. Now I take them out every morning before work, for 20-30 mins and they do their business outside. Also, in the early evening for roughly 90 mins sometimes more and lately late evening for about 20-30 mins. However, they don't always go outside on their evening walks, which is the ultimate goal. My teens will take them out during the day if they are home.

2) Both boys love to jump and are very excitable when they see other dogs or people (adults and children). They tug on the lease hopping on their hind legs trying to get over to the new face and they basically feed off each other and bark excitedly. I've told my fiancé and teens to ignore them and walk away when they jump up on them but this is still taking quite some time. When I'm with them outside (I'm the one walking them on most occasions) I shorten their lease and tell them to sit and stay. It works for a few seconds and then Fergus will jump up and get Connor riled up, and vice versa, to start jumping and barking again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in addition to what I'm doing already to help stop the jumping and excessive barking with excitement?

3) The boys are not crated at night, which is something I thought about doing and wanted to do (having read quite a bit before getting the pups) but my fiancé is dead set against it. Fergus, we've learned is a garbage picker and loves pull the bin down dragging out everything he could possibly get at and trekking it all over the house. We've also noticed that Connor won't start anything, but joins in once Fergus gets the mess started.

Any suggestions on keeping them out of the trashcan and behaved at night?

4) Young Fergus has recently learned to lift his leg to pee and mark his territory. Although quite funny/cute to see two lil pups lifting their leg and toppling over a bit, it's now something else to think about since Connor has started marking today. We're a bit worried they will start spraying in the house and we have to wait till November before they can get neutered.

Also, Fergus is an exited pee-er. When he gets your attention, he gets very excited and tinkles as he jumps around. However, this he doesn't do outside, only inside with us.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

5) Connor, my lil baby loves to hump the dogs at the park. It doesn't matter if the dogs are male, female, big or small. He'll even hump his brother, Fergus. I was thoroughly embarrassed when I first witnessed this but was told by another dog owner that it's a sign of dominance. My granddaughter will be crawling soon and I don't want Connor trying to hump her. Although he hasn't tried to hump our legs etc., it's still a concern.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I think that covers it for now... my memory fails me at this late hour.
I look forward to hearing/reading your comments/suggestions etc etc. I've been reading some of the other threads and I'm very thankful I found this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Tags
barking, behaviour, jumping, puppy training