Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks Chris, -- Wonder why it was kept so quiet? Had I heard, I would have been on it, like a Crow on Road Kill ! --the event, sickens me! -- Pat
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

well lets see if maybe some celebrities can help,,i just sent out a mass tweet on twitter to every celeb i could find, with the petition link. so come on Ceasar and Oprah, etc.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I <3 Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post

Now they are asking the public/professionals for help for the remaining animals http://www.yorkregion.com/news/artic...p-save-animals
What is the status of this? Has anyone been successful in getting in touch to help save any of the animals through the contact information in this article??
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3iggys View Post
How many of us on this forum are employees of this shelter? Probably not one.[/QUOTE

QUOTE=Chris21711;917874]There are two that I know of.
Hi Chris, I don't know if you thinking of me, as being one of them? I no longer work for the Humane Society. I quit to go to school for Wildlife Conservation. Even though I didn't work for head office, I did work for an affilate. However the Humane Society that I worked for would have NEVER done this. And in all honestly...never been a fan of head office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
voted,,,i totally can't believe yes is leading,,wtf is wrong with people.
I think it is because people are mislead with false information. Doesn't help that the OSPCA is trying to drill into peoples head, that what they are doing is right and that there is no other solution.

Last edited by NoahGrey; May 12th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Please note a similar thread with the title OSPCA to euthanize 350 Animals at York Region Shelter

has been MERGED into THIS current thread. This was done to have only 1 thread cover the same topic.

Thx to 14+ for letting me know.

marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Hi Chris, I don't know if you thinking of me, as being one of them? I no longer work for the Humane Society. I quit to go to school for Wildlife Conservation. Even though I didn't work for head office, I did work for an affilate. However the Humane Society that I worked for would have NEVER done this. And in all honestly...never been a fan of head office.
I think maybe Chris was thinking more her daughter and herself. They have both worked/volunteered there.
No matter how you feel about head office if you are an employee in most cases you have no choice but to follow procedures. If you do have a choice by the time you go through all the loopholes the original complaint is long gone. Just my opinion.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
owned by Tucker

this is so sad it brings me to tears its been on my mind all day just the thought of 350 little bodies.. how can they sleep at night knowing what they have done I hope they have visions of puppies and kittens running through their heads all night for the rest of their lives, heartless b's..I don't know how they can live with themselves
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
owned by Tucker

ok I signed the petition, copied it on my facebook, emailed it to friends and I copied it on A channel News website, hope they don't get mad.. but the more that sign hopefully it will help before its too late for them all.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

anyone hear how the protest is going?
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Well the poll on the torontosun site is gone now. There is an update on it saying that three dogs (a German Shep, husky and another) were returned to their pens from the admin. building. So maybe the beautiful husky in "dead dog walking" is still on earth. Let's hope that something is happening out there to save these furry souls. I can't stand not knowing what's going on - shame on the government for washing their hands of it. I don't give a rats butt if you have control over the OSPCA or not - get some gonads and stand up for what is right!
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

well there were 4 from outside pens that I saw pics of on the fb page, the husky, a german shepherd a curly haired dog and a big old yellow lab
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

this is from a member on fb, copied with permission

V**** K*** In addition to writing various MPPs and the Premier, I also wrote to the Humane Society International/Canada. Below is the response I received back. Something is certainly very wrong with this picture. I only hope the OSPCA will be held accountable - in the same manner they held the THS accountable.

HSI Reply: Thank ...you for contacting us. Yes, this situation is quite sad. We have made multiple calls (and sent multiple emails) to both the Newmarket shelter and the OSPCA’s head office, offering to help in any way needed in order to prevent the euthanizing of these animals. We have even found them leading experts in ringworm outbreaks who are more than willing to help in this situation. But the shelter and OSPCA have not returned any of our calls or emails. We hope that they will heed the public’s outcry and return our calls (or answer the phone!) soon.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I feel just sick about this.... I adopted Cody from the OSPCA Newmarket branch, and my mind keeps wondering what would have happened to him if he were there at this time?

I wish there was something I could do! If I could just get one animal out of there and treat it... it would make the difference to at least one life
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
this is from a member on fb, copied with permission

V**** K*** In addition to writing various MPPs and the Premier, I also wrote to the Humane Society International/Canada. Below is the response I received back. Something is certainly very wrong with this picture. I only hope the OSPCA will be held accountable - in the same manner they held the THS accountable.

HSI Reply: Thank ...you for contacting us. Yes, this situation is quite sad. We have made multiple calls (and sent multiple emails) to both the Newmarket shelter and the OSPCA’s head office, offering to help in any way needed in order to prevent the euthanizing of these animals. We have even found them leading experts in ringworm outbreaks who are more than willing to help in this situation. But the shelter and OSPCA have not returned any of our calls or emails. We hope that they will heed the public’s outcry and return our calls (or answer the phone!) soon.
gosh this makes me angry and you are right Melinda..something is not right here.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

This is just breaking my heart....

I have lost count of how many people I have argued with today, trying to tell them that ringwornm can be contained and treated!!!

If the effing shelter hadn't been so damn secretive about all this and asked for help, I bet there would have been no problem getting donations from the public to help with treatment!!!!!

People are so stupid...even ones I know personally.

I hate this.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

You know,I cannot get this out of my head and all of a sudden,now when they have killed the cats,they are open for other options for the dogs.
No,I don't want any dogs killed,I love dogs,actually all animals,but it makes me crazy how easy it is to murder cats.

I look at my own cats,having a good life,being very much loved,their beautiful innocent eyes and can do nothing but cry for the murdered cats,with equally innocent beautiful eyes,who through no fault of their own are now probably piles of ashes,or in garbage-bags

Chris,I am very sorry your brave caring daughter had to go through this,I can only imagine the pain she is in.
I admire anyone who helps make the life of shelter-animals a little easier,but to know,the animals you loved and cared for, are being killed in this manner would honestly have made me go berserk.
Give your daughter a from me,for being the wonderful young lady she is,like mother like daughter.

On another note,so they say the cats were the culprit,starting this s.c epidemic,in my life of caring for cats,I have never heard of a cat having ringworm..is it something that's common in cats

to all the innocents lives being eradicated yesterday and today.
I bad karma catches up with the decision-makers,the killers of these little souls,who asked nothing more of life,than a bowl of food,some loving and a warm bed.

Last edited by chico2; May 12th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico...I so agree with you. I was talking with a friend this afternoon from out of town, she had only heard brief snatches of news about this horrible situation, and we both are great animal lovers....all animals, and we too had a hard time understanding why it is so easy to murder the cats without any real concern about taking care of them medically or finding alternatives.
I know many people just don't believe cats share the same traits as dogs, but I have been lucky enough to have shared my life with both dogs and cats DO have emotional attachments to people they love, they DO have unique and individual personalities, they DO bring a great deal to the lives of people they share their lives with and most important, they DO deserve the same chance at life as all other animals.
NO animal is disposable.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
-

I do know for a fact that the cats were being treated, that they missed the diagnosis in some, obviously, but they were treating animals that showed ringworm...... how it got so out of hand I don't know.....but they were treating the animals.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, chris, I am so sorry , your poor daughter.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Chico, Puddles had ringworm when she was about 2 years old. We couldn't figure out where she got it from, nor could the vet. He thought from plastic food dishes, but my kitties get fed out of glass ones, which get sterilized in the dishwasher. It took a couple of weeks of putting cream on the site and it was gone. It was not passed on to my family or my beloved Snowball who ate out of the same dish as Puddles. We did not sterilize the house or the litter boxes, just the food dishes after each meal.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Chico...I so agree with you. I was talking with a friend this afternoon from out of town, she had only heard brief snatches of news about this horrible situation, and we both are great animal lovers....all animals, and we too had a hard time understanding why it is so easy to murder the cats without any real concern about taking care of them medically or finding alternatives.
I know many people just don't believe cats share the same traits as dogs, but I have been lucky enough to have shared my life with both dogs and cats DO have emotional attachments to people they love, they DO have unique and individual personalities, they DO bring a great deal to the lives of people they share their lives with and most important, they DO deserve the same chance at life as all other animals.
NO animal is disposable.
Absolutely they do get very attached to their humans!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old May 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

350 animals

Toronto Sun link to petition to stop the euthization: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...mals/sign.html.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I really have to say at this point i am totally ashamed to say i live in this province..first the bsl,,then the stuff with the THS now this.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Petition signed.

I too Aslan am sickened to say that I live in Ontario where they kill dogs because of their breed and euthanize animals in my opinion to serve a purpose..their own.

I could be totally off the wall but I think that after the news conference today the reason these poor babies suffered at the hands of these sick people was to prove a point,

It was indicated that the internal staff did not follow proper protical and that this was the result. As if to say that it was the workers fault. I work for an organization where there is alot of politics and crap that goes on and I know for sure that there are those out there that feel that if you disobey them, or you dont follow protocol etc etc that they have to do what they have to do and as long as they are not to blame it happens. I feel like this is the case.

There are so many things that just dont make sense in this case.......why have professionals not been consulted? especially if the outbreak is so severe? CDC? someone? other vets, and government officals have come forward? why have they not taken a step back when they can see the public outcry?? something is just not right.........just my worth.

Do they have something to hide???
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

http://canada.myletsadopt.com/2010/0...irresponsible/

so many already gone
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Heartbreaking. Absolutely needless extermination. I don't understand why they would not allow rescues and citizens to pull and try to save these animals.

I cannot imagine what the volunteers and workers are going through at this moment.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H,I just have had no experience with Ringworm,but honestly thought it was more prevalent in dogs
Apparently the cat who had it first,was a Himalayan and it had gone undetected
You'd think a vet would check any cat coming in,before mixing him,her with the rest of the animals

I heard Pet-Smart had pulled their support for the OSPCA,in the paper it says Pet-Value..
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
You'd think a vet would check any cat coming in,before mixing him,her with the rest of the animals
You would think.

The other concern here is their bio security. Because of human error it only proves that the transmission from one species to another is because nothing is set in place. Those working with cats should not be working with the dogs. It is obvious that the workers and volunteers are allowed to do so.

This whole thing could have been preventable or at the very least sustained and controlled.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Appartantly they are putting hundreds of animals on hold and they are getting checked over again. Heard this on Breakfast televison this morning. Seems like OSPCA is trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes. Seems to me it is not as bad, if they are doing this. And I can bet...that more then half of those animals don't even have ringworm..but just were going to be put down as a precaution. tisk tisk OSPCA.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
owned by Tucker

Lets this is true and more of these animals will be spared. Just wonder it all the negative feed back they are getting is working especially people that are saying that they will no longer donate to them. It always hurts when its the pocket book.