Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
<-----nut ball

Need Fish RECIPES!

I hate fish. I was told I may be allergic my entire life and only found out I wasn't 3 years ago.

Since then I have been *trying* to eat fish, but I can barely stomach it. I just don't like the taste or the texture.

Anyone have some really good tasty fish recipes for mild fish (like tilapia).

Last edited by raingirl; February 2nd, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I usually sprinkle tilapia with fresh dill and a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I wrap it in parchment paper and bake it. That's oru favorite way to cook it.

I have a recipe for poached salmon that's wonderful but I'll have to post the ingerdients for the sauce when I get home later. Also a grilled tuna recipe. Ok--I'll pull these out and put them up this afternoon !!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't like most kinds of fish either.

I love salmon. It has a firm texture and non-fishy taste.

I like it broiled until nice and crusty on top and I like it with dill butter - mix some dillweed and lemon juice in some butter, chill and serve a pat on top of the salmon.

You can also do a tomato basil butter, made by blending soaked dried tomatoes and a bit of basil into the butter.

This is truly delicious, and salmon is very good for you.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Orange roughy is a good fish too, not "fishy" at all. I sprinkle garlic powder and paprika on it, then some fresh grated parmesan and bake it. Its fabulous.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Go eat sushi and sashimi That's my favourite way to eat fish - RAW! Not surprisingly, that's how I like to eat steak as well - RARE!

Um...back on topic: maybe try watching the Food Network? There was this period of time in my life that I watched nothing but Emeril Lagassi (sp?) and occasionally there would be some pretty good fish recipes too. I was just to lazy to get off my ass to try them out.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I eat fish quite a bit, but, I also work full (and part) time, so I don't have a lot of time to get dinner ready...so I take advantage of the grocery store or fish market and buy prepared fresh fish. I get haddock w/ seafood stuffing, salmon pinwheels (seafood stuffing), sole with lobster stuffing, pre-marinated fillets (bourbon salmon, herb haddock, etc.). Then all you gotta do is pop them in the oven.
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks guys.

I guess the fact that I also hate Dill doesn't help, since aparently it goes well with fish.

I absolutely HATE salmon. Can't stand it. I think it tastes more fishy than other fish. It's too strong and....well...just haven't liked it any of the ways I've tried it (and I have tried it a few ways).

I also don't like tuna or anything like it. And I can't eat sea food (still don't know if I'm allergic to that one, since that is the one my mom is the most allergic to, I haven't bothered to risk it yet).

Don't have the food network either. Only basic cable here...I have been considering upgrading though.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

What about grouper? It's basically the kind of fish they use to make fish sticks, but you can make it other ways too.

It's pretty mild.

Last edited by jesse's mommy; February 4th, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not much of a fish eater I can't stand fish that have a fishy taste, I have had shark which isn't too bad but was done as a stew, I have never tried as a fillet,

If you are interested in local fish, pickerel also known as walleye is a very good choice, it is not oily or fishy tasting, you can pan fry in butter, batter it or even cooked breaded.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM

My favorite way to cook tillipia

I absolutely love fish--but not if it's fishy tasting! Here's a really, really easy recipe that makes tillipia wonderful:

2 frozen tillipia fillets
foil
baking dish (glass preferably)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon parsley
about 2 to 4 tablespoons of butter-unsalted (or more if you really like butter )
your favorite veggies diced bite-sized (I use carrots, potatoes, and onions... sometimes red or yellow bell peppers, too, but you can add anything from asparagus to zuchinni--another good combo )

Put the tillipia fillets on the bottom, and then add the veggies on top, then sprinkle liberally with the seasonings (you can add as much as you want, I'm guessing at the amounts). The lemon pepper helps to kill the fishy taste, and the onion (in my case) helps to season the fishiness out as well. Bake it for about 45 minutes to and hour to make sure the veggies get done.

That's it! You just put it together, throw it in the oven, and set a timer. Sooo easy!! That's why I love it! By the way, if you don't like fishy tasting fish, you should also try mahi mahi--many people say it has a chicken-like taste and texture, and it's good in the above recipe as well.