Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Chocolate

Question High # of Shih Tzu Owners

... on this board.

any particular reason why? someone recruiting? lmao. just an observation....
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:17 PM

Just for the record, I don't own any shih tzu's. I've just known people that do and heard they are good dogs. Do you not like the breed? A lot of people don't and I didn't used to either. Based on what I've been told though, I kinda changed my mind. I own 2 heeler crosses and a border collie.
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Chocolate

is it that obvious??

one of my best friends ( ) bought a lovely shi poo from the local pj's for $800+ at 4 months....

ya, it was aggressive, it still is, quite anti-social, THE barker, BITER, yeah... did i mention he attacked me when i was trying to comfort him after these stupid ppl were taunting it w a pigs ear?

he drew blood, on both my arms, just lunged at me.... YES, biased opinion, but i have YET to hear a story about a small does that does NOT bark/bite.

heh.
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Yeah, it's a bit obvious!
I just know people with the bichon/shih tzu crosses and I've personally never had a problem with them. Just when people are at the door, they bark but other than that they're pretty quiet. maybe it's something that happens when those 2 breeds are crossed together that makes them more lovable? I dunno!
The only dog that's ever bit me is a rotti, and I'm still leary of em, but I've met some sweet rotti's!
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM

I was bit by a shih tsu (ah cr$# -- can't remember how to spell suddenly) and haven't had many good experiences with any of them, but I also have liked the crosses with bichons. Bichons are LOVELY dogs, but have a tendency to be yappy. My mom's bichon was trained out of it with the help of a water gun...
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:10 PM

I think it comes back to socialization and training. A lot of people with small dogs (and I mean no offense to those of you who do not fit this mold ), don't bother training them. It's a lot easier just to pick them up and get them out of the way, right? And when you add in the factor of bad breeding by way of a mill or BYB , then your problem is compounded.

I have nothing against small dogs. I know many fabulous dogs who are of the smaller breeds (the Westie next door to my Mom, my friend's Schipperke, etc...). I do have a problem with people who breed for profit and therefore turn out poorly socialized, neurotic animals. I also have a problem with owners who think that just because their dog is small, it can't be a menace to society (but that was covered in another thread ).
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Writing 4 Fun, as a toy poodle owner, I have to hang my head in shame and agree with you! My pooch gets away with stuff a bigger dog would never get away with! It's not from laziness on my part -- I don't know exactly what it is. I spend a lot of time training Casey, and he seems pretty well-behaved for his young age (4 mos) but I still know that if he was a german shepherd, or something, a lot of his habits would NOT fly. Some of it is part of the charm of the little breeds, however. They get away with jumping right in your lap as if they own you, because you like it when they do. That kind of behaviour can lead to problems, and can be incredibly obnoxious to those who don't like dogs, but unless it does become a problem in our house, I don't have the heart to train him out of it.

I've actually thought about this a lot. I also think that little dogs have a tendency to have bad leash manners, partly because they get rewarded for doing so. If I'm outside with Casey and he pulls on his leash and leaps happy leaps while someone walks by, chances are that person will be won over by him and come and greet him (which is exactly what he wants, of course!) If it was a big dog acting that way, any stranger will keep a very wide berth! Also, leash training a big dog (especially not to jump) takes more strength, but is also somewhat easier logistically than with a small dog. I haven't raised any big dogs myself, but I have walked some, and while it's hard if they pull, at least you have the ability to hold the leash in such a way as to control the dog. This is very hard with a puppy whose face is not that far from the ground!!!

I am actually working at making Casey have better manners, especially out in public. The other day he licked a woman's leg while we walked by her, and she got really mad! Kind of funny, but I guess it is her right to stand on a public street without getting kissed by a dog! But Casey was so sweet about it!

Ahh, major digression here. In theory I'm not on the computer at all -- I'm doing some much needed reorganisation! Better go!
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Senior Contributor

i dont own one, and never will, i am a big dog gal. mum has one, he is young pup and is a barrel of energy, but he is a little nippy. i dotn trust little dogs, been attacked by to many to like them. but i agree with the aforementioned theory about training small dogs compared to lg. gosh if i let my GSD do what i see little dogs doing, she would have been shot years ago. in this modern world of overpopulation and over development, it is understandable why the sml breeds are becoming more popular, both with the elderly and alot of ppl live in sml environments without a yard these days so a sml breed suits that lifestyle. at the moment we hardly ever see big dogs on the streets here, just little babies, charlie is the biggest dog at the park
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:57 AM

I have a shihtzu/poodle cross. I like that her hair doesn't shed. I wanted a small dog. She's excellent with kids. But she does bark compared to my lhasa apso/terrier. Smaller dog poo to clean too. They're so much easier on the leash, ie. their strides are smaller.

I love smaller dogs.
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:38 AM
banned user

Moontamara

I don't have any insight to add to this thread. Just have a quick note to Moontamara: I was very impressed by your honesty. That took guts and a humble disposition. You also illustrated very well how the exceptions for your smaller dog came to be. Kudos!
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I love all dogs big and small. With our lifestyle a Shih Tzu fit it great. She is small enough to come everywhere with us, I have 2 cats that are very very important to me and she won't grow much bigger than them, they can play with her and not scared. She goes to puppy kindergarden and is starting obdience in Sep, she knows how to sit, laydown, stay, give paw, and knows she is not allowed to bite. When we go to other peoples house she sits on my knee and does not yap or try to run down. She only barks when she is playing, or wants something (to pee etc).
She does not shed, and we have taught her not to chase our cats or anyone elses. When we meet another dog on the street she sits as we taught her. She does not run up to people that are not talking to her.
So I belive its all in the training, and how much time you have to give her. We both work in the day but when we get home at 5pm we don't stop until bed time. We are tired but it is very rewarding when she looks at me with her big brown eyes and her tongue hanging out.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Poodles . . . a size for everybody! I bought my mom a toy because he's easy to pick up, sit in her lap, can't pull her over when walking, and he barks when someone comes to the door. Mom's not deaf, but she does have problems hearing the doorbell. He doesn't shed. Doesn't have to be walked. He's a dynamite little dog in a very small package. Mom loves him dearly.

Den-Den is a miniature. Ok, I thought he was going to be a toy, but he grew into a miniature, and he's perfect for me. I take him everywhere with me and everyone loves him. He's so gentle with Corky. I have some respiratory problems and poodles are non-allergenic.

If I need a big dog fix, I can visit my brother's Akita-X, or my other brother's German Shorthair, or my friend's Border Collies. If I had room for a big dog, yeah, have to say it'd be a Standard Poodle. What can I say? I love poodles! I love the intelligent little clowns. I love the grooming. They get a bad rap. They're a perfect example of what happens to a breed that is exploited by BYBs and mills. But a good poodle is a real joy! I feel so sorry for so many of them that are not matched well with their owners.
They're not toys. They're sensitive little dogs with huge hearts and personalities.
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

The first thing a friend of mine mentioned to me was the barking part. Apparently his relative owned a Shih Tzu and constantly barked which drove him nuts. However, after 2 months of owning one, I beg to differ. Actually, I brought Ariel to meet my friend and he was quite suprised at how quiet and well behaved she was. She never barks in the house or makes any noise. Sometimes I wonder if she's mute!

I am quite amazed at how smart she is. At 3 months, she already knew how to sit, lie down, paw, and sit up from lying down. Now she knows a bit more. She used to run whichever direction when al walks but I have put an end to that. I make sure she's beside me at all times and teaching her to ignore distractions.

The only weakness I would say is her love for people and attention. She wants everyone she sees to pet her and give her some lovin. She really likes kids but is quite gentle with them. She doesn't jump on people either. As many have said, it all goes back to training. People do get overprotective when larger dogs are around. However, this weekend we visited friends who own a German Shepperd and a Labrador. The Labrador was growling and barking at her but she was not afraid at all. Actually, she always went near the Labrador to tease him. Afterwards we went to a birthday party where she worked on her wrestling skills against a Golden retriever puppy who's larger an stronger than her.
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Chocolate

gunnerx, i agree... lol, i just remembered this silent little dog my dad's gf has!!! OOPS!

i guess it's the quiet ones we don't remember

thanx to those who shared their dog's experiences w us... i appreciate it
we all have flaws, unfortunately our dogs are no exception.

as for the poop, my friend uses a mars candy wrapper to pick that TINY thing up, hmh.!

here's the doggie i was refering to:
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Thanks Cactus Flower