Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM

Angry Neighbors neglecting dogs

Hi,
Our neighbors have three cute little dogs that they keep locked up in individual cages in a dark shed that bark and cry all day. We've contacted the humane society multiple times. They go and talk to the neighbor to remind her to let sunlight in but she doesn't comply, hence why the humane society is constantly stopping by. The neighbor plans to breed the dogs, and says that when they are too old to breed she's going to kill them. This will happen when they're about 8 years old, and the male is 8 now. I suggested that she give them to the SPCA when she has no use anymore (because who doesn't want a cute fluffy friendly white dog?) but she will not listen to reason.

Does anyone know what can be done to have these dogs apprehended and given to good owners?
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4P...w&ved=0CC4QtQM

I found this link that has a lot animal rescue places in Calgary Alberta.
If it was me I would get someone to help recuse the dogs. When I lived in Berkeley , Calf. I lived with a friend and we had a neighbor that was abusing their St. Bernard , the poor dog was not being feed enough and was kept ties up outside all day and night. My friend and I just walked over to the house and took the dog home and feed him and took care of his paw that had a cut. We found a St. Bernard rescue shelter and they took the dog . Our neighbors never missed their dog.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
My friend and I just walked over to the house and took the dog home and feed him and took care of his paw that had a cut. We found a St. Bernard rescue shelter and they took the dog . Our neighbors never missed their dog.
The problem with that is you are technically stealing - that's a no win situation if you were to get caught.

OP - I'd suggest contact local rescues and explaining the situation. Perhaps someone is well versed in dealing with these situations and would offer to come out and talk to the dog owner and convince them to surrender the dog(s) once they are no longer needed.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I suggested that she sell the dogs, and if she wants them for breeding that she make an agreement with whoever she's selling to to let her breed with them, but she has 0 initiative when it comes to the well being of these dogs. I'll contact the local agencies and see what they can do
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:55 PM

This is horrible... not only that she wants to get ride of them when "they are not usefull" to her, but how they live and that she wants to keep them there and just breed them?! I am sure there is an organization that should be able to help before this backyard breeding begins... maybe contact animal advocates? or like barkingdog said talking to some of the shelters and see how they can help, this is the alberta animal rescue crew society site -

http://aarcs.ca/safe_haven_project.php

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM

Thank you! I will definitely check it out. It's almost as if she has a little puppy mill in her backyard. The humane society says that as long as the dogs can turn around in their cages, it is considered humane. That part shocks me the most. I'm just hoping something can be done before she kills them. I've talked with some other neighbors about raising money to buy the dogs off her, but we don't trust that she wouldn't go out and buy more.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:23 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I'm surprised that AC in Calgary isn't doing more! They're supposed to be one of the best in Canada. Is there any way that you could quietly get some pics of where she's got them stashed. I'd contact Animal Control directly instead of going through the Humane Society. Explain what's going on. I live in Medicine Hat and I called by-law about my neighbour leaving his pup tied out in the cold on a choke collar with no food and water and within 1/2 an hour the officer was here, took the pup, and left a notice for the neighbour.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
The problem with that is you are technically stealing - that's a no win situation if you were to get caught.

OP - I'd suggest contact local rescues and explaining the situation. Perhaps someone is well versed in dealing with these situations and would offer to come out and talk to the dog owner and convince them to surrender the dog(s) once they are no longer needed.
I agree we did steal the dog , but I am glad we took the risk with that dog as he was a bag of bones . I did post a link of places that recuse pets.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM

I appreciate all the suggestions. The problem we're having is that, according to the humane society rules, the dogs aren't beig abused because they're being fed and watered. They sit in their excrement, but apparently it's allowed as long as they can then a full circle in their cages. Apparently it's considered abuse then the shed door is shut (which is almost all the time) but the humane society isn't willing to apprehend over it unless it's a persistent problem. We call constantly to let them know when the dogs are in the dark, we just don't know at which point they'll decide to take the dogs away, it the owners will kill the male dog.

We've also considered complaining about the constant crying and barking in hopes that at least the owners will be fined, but we don't want to risk them muzzling the dogs or having their vocal chords cut.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp88 View Post
The humane society says that as long as the dogs can turn around in their cages, it is considered humane.
what? how is that humane? I'm as shocked as you are! - so as long as you can turn around, its ok for people to live in a cardboard box?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I'd complain, if the AC people come out and take a good look at the conditions, then they should take the dogs
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:45 AM

I think we're going to wait until it's a hot day, and then call animal control because we just can't imagine it being ok to leave dogs in a hot shed. It's just heartbreaking to hear these dogs cry all the time. We've asked her if they can run around in the yard and she said no because they have bacteria and she doesn't want her daughter getting sick... Who has ever heard of someone getting sick from a domestic dog? So we asked that they run in our yard, and she doesn't want them breeding because they're related. She literally has a ridiculous excuse for every option, it's depressing. It's even moreso frustrating because they are the friendliest dogs, and I know they would be adopted if put with the SPCA.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM

You could try recording the dogs making noise and lodging a noise complaint with bylaw. It may not directly address the inhumane living conditions of the dogs but with repeated complaints, maybe these people will surrender them. Also, bylaw will respond to complaints of odor from feces coming from the shed. Might be worth a try.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow. I'm really not sure I'd be able to hold it together if I was her neighbor.

Good for you for trying to solve this without going bonkers

Quote:
The humane society says that as long as the dogs can turn around in their cages, it is considered humane.

Just because someone said it doesn't make it true....go higher up the chain find and out if this is true if you have the stomach for it.
This policy not only borders on being immoral and cruel but it is way too lame to defend with logic.
Policies like this (if real) can often crushed with the teeniest amount of pressure... (like if any animal loving politician finds out about it or the press sees pics of these tiny crap filled humane cages.)
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM

Well I don't live there anymore, but my parents do and now they're considering moving to get away from the neighbor and it's the house I grew up in and it breaks my heart. Anyways... Between my mom and I, I think we call the humane society 2-3 times a week to report when she's not complying, and each time we get a different person, and each time they say the same thing: as long as they have food, water and shelter then they're being treated humanely. I filed a complaint with animal control, so maybe they'll do something.

Tags
abuse, dog, neglect