Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Help, my adoted mexican dog has started marking in house

I adopted a Mexican street dog last year, probably about a year old. I had him neutered when I got him home about 8 months ago. He is extremely affectionate & faithful. We bought him home in an RV & never had any porblems. He seemed housebroken from the word go. About 2 weeks ago he peed in a downstairs foyer. I cleaned it up & he continues to do it in the area. I have cleaned the carpet with a bleach solution & since I can pull it up in that area, have sprayed the underlay with bleach as well. He knows he is doing wrong. I can't get him to go down to the area after he has done it unless I pick him up & carry him. This dog is extremely intelligent (I guess he had to be to survive). I have had several dogs before & this one is smartest by far. It so happens I have been planning to replace the area with tile, but I figure he may just move. I'm retired so he does not get left alone for more than 4 hours at a time. We also have a large cat that was here before he was. They have no problem with each other. I have not caught the dog in the act, but I'm assuming I would know if it was cat urine. On another note the cats litter box is behind a door adjacent to that area that the cat access via a cat door, but as I said, no problem for 8 months.
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

The very first thing to do with any animal who was housebroken and just started peeing in the house is to take him to the vet. He may have a urinary tract problem or bladder infection.

If he checks out fine, then come back here and we will have suggestions!

And THANK YOU for your kind heart in giving this dog a home!
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I will take him today. Reading a response on another forum, I am wondering if this is a dominance thing. This dog is very needy & we are continually petting him. We figured it may just have been because he had such a miserable first year, but maybe we have now made him alpha male.
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it's certainly possible that he is marking his territory. But no methods you try will stop this until you are sure it's not a medical problem.

That's why I said to come back after he is checked out!
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:46 AM

I think my dog may have been falslely accused. A puddle appeared today while my son was walking him. This makes the 35 ib Maine Coon Cat prime suspect. Also no amount of shampooing, even with a mild bleach solution seems to kill the odour. That spells cat. Now I feel guilty.

I suspect it may be a protest over his litter not being changed enough. As it happens the area is on the other side of a door to the garage where his letter box is, so he cna smell it from there. (he enters it through a cat door)
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM
Performance Spaniels

Try nature's miracle. It's avalible at Petsmart. It is one of the better products for killing odour.

Plain white vinegar also works better at killing the smell than any standard cleaning product. Things that contain ammonia can make the small worse, and without using something like natures miracle or vinegar, you are not killing the smell for the cat either. Your cat may be attracted back to the area that smells like him/ her.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

A 35lb maine coon? If he's really that huge and peeing on the floor, then HE needs a vet visit and the check for the urinary tract infection or crystals.

So you never actually saw the dog doing the peeing?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM

It was the cat. I caught him in the act. He also has not used his litter box. The litter box is in a huge tub butted up against a pet door. This allowed me to keep the litter box in the garage without him actually being able to get in the garage area itself. This (35 ib) cat has the smelliest poops ever, you dont' want it in the house. I suspect he may have got his tail caught & was afraid to use it. The litter was dry after 24 hours. I just moved it out onto the balcony instead where he also has access, & he used it. I think that is what it was. Only problem now is my dog is afraid to go downstairs in case he gets punished. The poor guy was framed. I am now in the process of replacing the carper in the foyer where the cat fouled with ceramic tile. I have been intending to do so for some time, now I have the motivation.

I'm hoping the fact this cat is overweight will shorten his life.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm hoping the fact this cat is overweight will shorten his life.
I hope this is a (bad) joke?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Performance Spaniels

I hope so to LR.