Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Dog not eating

Hello I am the owner of an almost 12 year old beagle. For the past 4-6 months she has been having a bloody stool. We took her to the vet a few times but the vet doesnt have any explanation for this. She also suffers from an inflamed spine, which we have been giving her pills for(might also be causing the stool). Recently she stopped eating all foods, and began having a minor vomiting problem. Took her to the vet and the vet simply advised putting her to sleep, but i had to exhaust all my options before that, so i brought her home and began trying to feed her anything. After a bit she ate some small pieces of bacon i had cooked. A few hours later however she vomited them back up. I noticed she was also vomiting even on an empty stomach. Occasionally she drinks some water, but this has been going on for about 4 days and if i cant get her to eat by tomorrow she'd have to be put to sleep as much as it hurts. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any chance you can get her in to see a different vet, shaggiest? It doesn't sound like your first vet explored many options at all.

If your girl is on one of the newer nsaids for her spine, that could well be causing her tummy upset! Have you tried withholding the meds for a while? Did the vet run any blood work? Was the liver showing any damage from the meds?

There are so many things that this could be, shaggiest. Honestly, I'd take her into a different vet as soon as you can and have 'new eyes' take a look at her.

Good luck with your girl! Please keep us posted on what the vet tells you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Well, the doctor really didnt do any tests on her. And as i have a limited budget i cant really afford more then 150$. Also, it's been about 3 days since she has had her medication, so i dont think that's the cause. Vet hasn't done any tests on the liver so i cant say. Prednisone is the medication she has been taking. I will try a new vet though as well, thanks. Keep posting if you have any information! Thanks again in advance
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How long had she been on the prednisone? She needs to be weaned off it slowly to prevent major side effects. Did you take her off cold turkey? If so, you definitely need to consult a vet asap and see if they can recommend a dosing regimen to get her safely off the pred. Part of her vomiting problems now could be an effect of taking her off the pred too abruptly.

Is she taking any meds at all right now?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM

we actually ran out of them about 2 days into her stopping of eating. We gave her soft food as a replacement which worked for one day, but then she stopped eating it. Currently she is on no other medications.

edit: she has been on them for about 4-6 weeks

Last edited by shaggiest; June 18th, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

After 4 to 6 weeks, she definitely need to be weaned off pred. Please call a vet tomorrow, shaggiest and get some advice! Abrupt withdrawal of steroidal meds can really do a number on a dog's endocrine system. You really do need a vet's advice.

When you talk to the vet, tell them how much you can budget for the visit and if they think it'll cost more, see if they have a payment plan you can use. Many vets will help their clients this way.

Good luck, shaggiest! I have to log off now. Please keep us posted on your girl!

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:06 AM
-

I agree with Hazel about slowly stopping the prednisone medication. Also, I think the vet should have done a blood panel. I would take her to a different vet as soon as possible. Good luck and keep us posted.