Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM

Exclamation Playful Cat Problems

I rescued Chloe, my cat as a 6 week old (Aprox.) kitten I found at my barn. When she was young she would bite and scratch, but just playfully, as a kitten would so I didn't make much of it. When she got a little older I started trying to spray her with a lil' water, but she seems to enjoy it and just does it more so that she can be sprayed, she thinks it is a game. She will let you pet her and then all of a sudden attack your hand as if it is a toy, I love her to death, but does anyone have any ideas on how to stop her biting?
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is your kitty? If she's under 5 months old, this is normal behavior. Kittens are learning to hone their stalking, hunting, pouncing and killing skills and if the only practice target is your hands, they'll do!

I suggest you never EVER use your hands to play with her. Get an interactive toy, like a Kitty Tease (or make your own with a thin dowel, a piece of yarn and some feathers) and use that to tire her out.

If she grabs your hand, don't yank it away or wrestle with her. Freeze, and startle her slightly with a "AH AH!!" just until she releases your hand, then continue petting or playing with her. She will learn that biting and scratching stops all the fun.

The BEST solution is another kitten! Kittens need to play.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

My youngest kitty, Lulu, is over a year now, and she STILL does that. I relax, wait for her to release my hand, and walk away to do something else. Don't encourage it, and refocus her on kitty toys. Even my older cat, who we estimate around 6yrs, likes to play rough sometimes.