Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Red face My cat is waking me up....EARLY

My cat, who is about 7 1/2 months, has been waking me up early the last while. He doesn't want to lay on the bed, he just keeps on chirping and meowing for me to get up. Lately, I've been putting him in the basement, so i can sleep. I thought of putting him in the basement when I go to bed, but when my husband gets up early and gets ready in the basement, the cat will get out, and come meow again!!!!! I don't know what is goin on!! I am soooooo tired!!!!! Please help if you can.
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:13 AM

I have had that problem too and I found that the mornings my cat bothered me was because she was out of food. Now I make sure she has enough in her dish to last the night and she doesn't wake me anymore. Check her food dish that might be the answer.
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:43 AM

Cats are crepuscular animals. That is to say they are most active at dawn and dusk and may very well sleep for huge periods outside that time frame.

I'd say keep your door locked. If the cat meows through the door try the training technique posted by Ophelia.

Maude

cat scratches and meows

Dear lovemykitty,

I had the exact problem. Here's how I solved it. The key is to startle the cat.... BUT THE CAT CANNOT SEE THAT YOU ARE THE SOURCE.

Don't let the cat in.
Keep the door closed. When the cat scratches either

1-squirt the kitty from under the door.

or

2- Make a sudden loud sound to scare kitty.

In both situations the cat gets startled should run away and will associate the scratching with something negative.

The cat will therefore stop scratching and crying.

Another key is to deliver the 'startle' immediately and consistently especially at the beginning.

Be patient and good luck.

Ophelia
Old April 11th, 2004, 04:17 AM

ignore it

my cat lies on my chest and paws my face to get me up,usually coz shes hungry so make sure shes got food to do her through the night.
if she persists i hide under the duvet so she cant lick or paw any part of me.then i roll about a bit to startle her ,she cant get comfy so she jumps down off the bed and leaves me alone....

NB*all that tossing tends to wake up whoever is lying next to you!!
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a suggestion, but you might not like it. Get him a little playmate! He'll be so busy playing and having fun he won't bother you anymore.

A female kitten around 4 - 6 months old would be perfect.

Barring that, yes the "startle" method does work too. What I did when I had a cat yowling at my bedroom door was to toss a small paperback book at the door.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Mandy

I've gone through the same thing. WITH BOTH OF MY LITTLE BOOGERS! One will sleep on my chest the other on my head and they won't move until I get up. I finally have to move them to the foot of the bed once they come back i kick my closet through the blankets so it's not as loud(hurts a lil) but it scares them n they lay down on a shirt or somethin on the floor. What if you try getting a bed. My dog was the same way so i made him this HUGE pillow now all he does is sleep he's a lil bum.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Help, same problem

My cat is 9 years old and wakes me up at 5:00 A.M. every morning. She whines and crys, knocks things over and makes noice with anything to wake me up. The thing is, she isn't hungry, there is always dry food in the kitchen. I am not getting much sleep. I need help and suggestions. I've tried closing my door but she will just cry and paw at the door until I get up.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Just like my cat

My cat Charlie is the same way, here is a few things we have changed and now he is great.

1. We work during the day, so thats when he sleeps. On the weekends we attempt to change that by keeping him up all day long, we close all the bedroom doors so theres no comfy plce to sleep and we play play play. Anytime he lays his head down, we pet him, get out the string, whatever keeps him up so by night time hes so pooped out he sleep like a baby.

2. No more soft food in the morning. Im not sure if you do this, but we did, and instead of getting soft food at 7 he wanted it at 5 and would do anything to get it! He now gets it when we get home from work or before bed. He always has hard food available.

3. We take him outside. You may want to use a harness, Charlie is a scardy cat and wont leave the yard (theres also dogs on either side of the fence and that helps) ever sinse we started taking him outside he has woke me up maybe once in the morning. Not sure why it worked but it did!

Hope this helps, if I think of anything else we've done Ill let you know.