Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products

Old December 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Young at Heart

Comination collar/leash

Does anyone use these? They are just ropes or nylon mesh with a loop that goes over the dog's head on one end and a loop for a hand-grip on the other.

I looked in every pet store around and couldn't find one so I made two - one for Bobby and one for Amber. I used D-rings and nylon mesh about 1/2" wide - they work wonderfully well and making them cost me about $5.00 each!

The best part is, I can get them on and off when I have gloves on - no problem at all! Both dogs have long hair and trying to clasp a leash onto their collars is trying to say the least (especially with gloves on) so these leashes work extremely well for us..

Making them is so darn easy I have to wonder how anyone can charge $15 to $20 for a leash in the pet stores!
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

our vet passes them out to us if we need them, they are handy to have, I keep one in my car for strays
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
Live well, laugh often

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that there should be some pictures of Bobby and Amber to go along with this thread .
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM

You know JanM, I've seen it several times on "the Dog Whisperer", where they casually mention the $1 leashes that you get at the dollar store. It's basically what you describe, from what I've seen on the show (we don't have cable, so I don't watch it often). They don't have them here at the dollar store on the south part of the Island either.

What materials are you using?
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM

Umm - I see you've written about the materials... (close reading skills or duty neurons or brain cells are lacking right now - perhaps you can give a description of how you made them, along with a pic or two of Amber and Bobby?)
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
You know JanM, I've seen it several times on "the Dog Whisperer", where they casually mention the $1 leashes that you get at the dollar store. It's basically what you describe, from what I've seen on the show (we don't have cable, so I don't watch it often). They don't have them here at the dollar store on the south part of the Island either.

What materials are you using?
I never thought of the dollar store! I checked Buckerfields, Little Rascals (a local pet store) and PetSmart - nothing in any of these. I mostly do not buy from the dollar store because everything is made in China but I will have a look..

I went to a tack store and bought D rings and the nylon mesh/webbing stuff that is sold to be made into horse lunging lines. The ones I made are 3' long (finished) - I bought 6' of webbing for each because I wasn't sure how much I would end up needing.
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Ummm, I'm pretty sure that there should be some pictures of Bobby and Amber to go along with this thread .
Oopsie - guess I'd better get their new collar/leash on and get some snaps then. We're supposed to get snow this afternoon and tonight so I'll wait for some snow pictures
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
Umm - I see you've written about the materials... (close reading skills or duty neurons or brain cells are lacking right now - perhaps you can give a description of how you made them, along with a pic or two of Amber and Bobby?)
Coming up soon - waiting for snow...