Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Exclamation Cat scratching surface surrounding Litterbox

In the middle of the night, I hear my cat scratching the surface surrounding her litterbox after using it. She's 9 months old, has never had an accident and is somewhat neat in using her box.

I did some research and learned that the scratching is response to her finding the placement of her box on a cold cement floor unappealing. The box is in a private area of the basement; it's very clean and in an area that she has never seemed to not like before. It ison a cement floor, but I put a bathroom-type carpet under the box for her to make it more comfortable.

Could this be a result of something else?

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've had some cats that do this and some that don't. I don't think it's for any particular reason, just one of the quirks that some cats have.

Cindy
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Either your cat is attempting to cover up what is in the litterbox with the carpeting you put under it - you may not be able to smell anything right away but her nose is closer to the box & way more sensitive than yours.

Or she maybe trying to sharpen her claws on the carpet, yes the cold floor is probably not appealing to her so the carpet under is great. Try putting a cardboard scratch box a couple of feet away from the box, she may still sharpen on the carpet, which is fine that carpet isn't for anything other than her box right?, the only to watch for is if she attempts to sharpen her claws on your "good" carpets.

It is their natural instinct to cover up their "deposits", if outside they will usually not go in their own yards but neighbouring yards & cover until they can no longer smell it because they are fastidious creatures. Often they will sharpen their claws after going this is to claim territory.

Duffy would do the samething when I had newspaper under her litterbox - she was trying to cover the box with the newspaper, she has occasionally tried to pull the bathroom rug into it too - but only when her "deposit" was very smelly. I currently have nothing under her box (hers is in the bathroom - vinyl flooring) & she doesn't do it anymore - again except if she's been really smelly.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying