Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Kitty problems....solutions????

Hi, I am new to the board, and hoping someone out there may be able to make some suggestions...

My kitty needs to be "re-trained" not to bang or scratch on my door at night. My soon-to-be husband us quite allergic to cats, and I need to NOT have her on the bed...otheriwise I may need to give her up, which would be terrible. She is very social and not dealing well with the closed door. Otherwise, a very sweet, well behaved kitty. The scratching, clawing and banging, however, is keeping us both awake.

Any ideas?
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

a little more info may help...how old is the cat? what have you tried so far?

do you plan to live at the place you are now after you get married, or will you move to a new home? the reason I ask, is if you plan to move soon, it may be easier to train her in a new place, since she's not already used to it.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I have trained cats not to bang or scratch on the door at night, but my cats always had other cats for company. So even though I knew they preferred to be with me, at least they weren't alone.

Quote:
She is very social and not dealing well with the closed door.
How many hours out of 24 is she spending alone? If she's alone all day, then naturally she doesn't want to be alone again all night with nothing to do.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Smile

Do you own a kennel for your cat? If not try buying a kennel and puting the cat in the kennel over night. Place the kennel in your door way keeping your bedroom door open so your kitty can see you but the cat is still confined to it's own space.

You could also try leaving a tv or radion on low volume for your kitty.

Whatever you do.....do not respond to your kitties actions, when the cat is banging ont he door ignore it, as hard as it is to not yell at the cat on get up and give it attention, keep in mind that is the response your cat is looking for. They want attention, negetive or possitive, it dosn't matter so long as they get a reaction out of you.

Hope it works out for you!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_a_ce
Do you own a kennel for your cat? If not try buying a kennel and puting the cat in the kennel over night. Place the kennel in your door way keeping your bedroom door open so your kitty can see you but the cat is still confined to it's own space.
cats are not dogs. I don't recommend crating your kitty at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_a_ce
You could also try leaving a tv or radion on low volume for your kitty.
if the clawing, scratching and banging are keeping these folks awake, I don't think leaving a tv or radio on will help them get more sleep. The cat just wants to be with them, not watching TV.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I used a product called SSSCAT http://www.ssscat.com/. I had it on hand when I was working on a behavioural modification program with the 3 cats I had at the time.

I have a male cat that is a "loner" and spent his days upstairs by himself (his choice, he is a little odd, skittish and semi-feral). He was very needy at night so I allowed him to sleep with me so he would get one on one attention and be able to curl up with me. BUT..I am also allergic to cats and couldn't bear it after awhile. He is also nocturnal so he kept me awake. I put the SSSCAT in front of the door and it worked quite well. I have since adopted 2 more feral cats who have shacked up with him and now he has 2 girlfriends to keep him busy Once in awhile I still have to use it as he demands to eat at the same time every morning and will bang on my door for me to get up.
I am not suggesting you get another cat if your husband-to-be is allergic but if your kitty is social and is lonely it would be a viable solution. For now try the SSSCAT in front of your door.

Good Luck!