Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:06 AM

Cat's behaviour changes when he gets outside

I got my kitty from a shelter last fall. Ever since I've had him he's wanted to get outside so 2 or 3 times a day I let him out and I stay out with him while I watch him. There was a place where the fence was low and one day he jumped over. I got him okay but once he got it in his head he could get over, that's all he thinks about. Now just yesterday he discovered another spot which I didn't realize he could just over. CATS! They never stop plotting! I got him again but was very very upset. Now I realize until I get the low points on my fence fixed I won't be able to let him out except on a leash (He's used to a leash). So this morning I let him out on a leash. What a bad attitude! He still insisted on going to that spot. I pulled back on the leash when he tried to jump which put him in a ferocious mood growling and hissing. So I decided that's it! He was going in. I picked him up keeping him well away from my face while he hissed , spit, growled, and bit me; and took him into the house. Because he has a tendancy to pick on my other cat when he's mad I put him in a separate room. Immediately when he knew he was going into "the room" his attitude changed and he gave a soft little mew. He still got the room treatment though.

My question is this: Should I curb all outside time even on a leash? He really loves getting outside and isn't always like this outside only when he wants his way. I was planning on making him a cat run but just can't afford it. I will need to get the fence made higher in some spots regardless because there are times when he might dart past someone's feet and run outside. So far this hasn't happened but it always could. Has anyone else had an outside cat that became used to being inside all the time? Obviously this cat was used to having free run before he came to me.

On the plus side he's such a sweetie. I just wanted to know if I'm handling this the right way. This is my first time of having a cat that's so active! All my other cats were kinda lazy and happy to be in the house.
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:16 PM
-

If you don`t want him to go out of your yard, I think you`d be better off building him a cat run. He`ll always find a way to get out past the fence so by the time you fix one place he`ll find another. IMO it would be cheaper, in the long run, to build a cat run.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks but a cat run would cost me $2000.00 - $3000.00 unless I make it myself and I'm not very good at that sort of thing! I know what you mean though. He keeps finding new spots! I took him out this afternoon on his leash and he was a bit better ( but still grumpy and insistent on the leash). I think he knew he pushed me too far this morning. He still keeps trying to get over the fence though even on a leash. What a one track mind.

Another option instead of a cat run would be just to get a fully enclosed dog cage and put some levels on it so he can jump up and down in it. That's cheaper than a full run and they charge more for the fully enclosed cage that for cat's only. I'm planning on checking out the costs of that too.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM

Also no matter how high you build the fence, he will beable to get over! Cats are amazing!

My neighbour has a cat run built out of chicken wire just higher and connected to the fence so the cat can climb the fence and walk along it but can jump over. It could save on supplies to incorporate some of your existing fence.
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:47 PM
-

Quote:
My neighbour has a cat run built out of chicken wire just higher and connected to the fence so the cat can climb the fence and walk along it but can jump over. It could save on supplies to incorporate some of your existing fence.
Good idea...chicken wire is cheap and certainly good enough to contain a cat. It may not be fancy enough for some people but if it works, why not? I`d put a tarp or plywood or whatever on the top to keep it shaded.
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM

That was the orginal plan. Have my husband build a cat run. But problem is he's tied up will so many other projects I don't think he will get to it this year. It was at this website that I orginally got the idea:

http://www.thecatsden.net/

But they are too expensive. I got this book with design plans:

http://www.just4cats.com/index.html

However, like I said I'm not very good at doing that kind of thing myself.

I let him out this morning again on a leash. Of course he wanted over that fence again. He never gives up. I tried to get him to enjoy other spots on the lawn but it didn't work. When he didn't get his way he got all sulky and whiney and wanted back in.