Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Cat peeing on bed

Hi there, this is for a friend of mine, I've searched through posts but I'd like to give the exact situation to see what advice you may give. Their Cat is about 4 years old, and they just brought a new dog home, the dog is an adult Huskie, about 4 years old also. Cat is male, dog is female. The dog is kept outside during the day and inside at night time. Their cat just recently started peeing on their son's bed, which is usually where the cat sleeps. This has happened a few times now. I know the first thing is to take him to the vet to make sure there is no urinary infection which I told them to do. But if everything is fine, is it b/c of the new dog? I know cats have quite the personalities at time, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the dog being there and its being territorial? If so what are your suggestions to stop him from doing it? I know to spray the area so there is no scent there, whats the best product for that? And if the cat continues to do this outside his litter any suggestions on how to stop him? Also he's never done this before and has always been a very clean cat. Thanks for your help!
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM

The cat is probably feeling territorial and/or jeleous about the new dog.

Use nature's miracle or a similar product to clean up the spot. It's found at pet stores.

The only advice I can give is to pay lots of attention to the cat. He's essentially an only child whose parent just had a baby.

I can't give any advice on talking the peeing problem directly. Perhaps someone else has been in that situation and can help.
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it and will try those products!
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I'd also put in a vote for the jealousy (once medical issues have been ruled out of course). The good news is that once the cat gets used to the dog, life should go on as it was...

They will have to get all the smell out and might want to triple wash everything. What ever you do avoid cleaners with amonia as its smell is very close to urine
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I too would say,it's definetly the dog,it's turned kittys world upside-down.
He is showing his displeasure the only way he can.
He needs attention and more attention and slowly being introduced to the dog,how are they interacting??
The cat might also be frightened...depending on how the dog behaves around him.
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

After ruling out medical reasons, I would keep a very close watch on puppy as kitty goes to use litter box. If puppy approaches kitty in box - and worse - interferes, cat will find a new place to go. This applies to bringing in a new cat as well. Think of it, if you were attacked while sitting on the toilet you wouldn't be too happy. When I went through this, I fortunately happened to see my 10 lb. cat squat over half of a honeydew melon on the counter. Good thing I saw it happening. Even if dog is not being overly aggressive, one does like an opportunity to finish one's business. Except for my husband's cat - the 22 lb. monster - who makes sure my Eskimo hears him enter the box.
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:06 PM

i am in the same situation and i put a child's protective waterproof mattress pad on the bed and left the sheets off until i can get him to stop so he doesnt ruin the mattress.
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM

I would be willing to bet that the dog has access to the kitty litter. If a cat doesn't feel safe in the box he won't go in there. Make sure they put the litter box (preferably 2 of them if they can) in a place where the dog can't get access to it.