Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:59 PM

City moves to restrict pet sales

City moves to restrict pet sales

Toronto pet owners are applauding the decision by a Toronto committee that restricts how dogs and cats can be purchased.

In a unanimous decision, councilors voted to restrict pet shops to selling dogs and cats acquired only from shelters, humane societies and certified breeders.

Councillors hope the move limits the number of pets raised by so-called "puppy mills" that produce the pets for sale in large quantities.

"What we're trying to do is stop puppy mills," said Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker. "Those evil, evil people who are mass producing puppies."

Pet stores account for about 9 per cent of cats and 10 per cent of dogs sold in Toronto. The discussion about the unwanted pets does not cover the 91 percent of cats and the 90 percent of dogs that are obtained directly from breeders, or through other retail sources.

Toronto currently does not certify breeders.

One owner happy with the decision is Kate Steen. Although Steen bought Tiki, a 5-year old French bulldog, from a pet store she believes it came from a puppy mill.

Steen says if she knew then what she knows now she would have never spent her money at a pet store. So far she has accumulated a stack of vet bills totaling more than $40,000.

"She has an auto immune disease that is caused by in-breeding," Steen said of Tiki. "She also has a lot of behavioral quirks that some have suggested she comes from a puppy mill."

"So far the running total is $42,000. If I can go a month without going to the vet it is a good month."

If approved by the full city council on June 14, Toronto would become the second Canadian city to pass a motion on pet stores. Richmond, B.C., opted to ban the sale of pet store dogs last year.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is interesting but the info seems contradictory, no?

"....In a unanimous decision, councilors voted to restrict pet shops to selling dogs and cats acquired only from shelters, humane societies and certified breeders"

Then it says

"Toronto currently does not certify breeders."

So how's this supposed to work?

Original link - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...et-stores.html
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

they will probably be brought in from a neighbouring city Marko.
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

certified breeders will be brought in from elsewhere or the animals of certified breeders and what if a Toronto breeder wants to get certified? hmmm
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM

What is a 'certified breeder'?
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Mickey, my angel

This is a step in the right direction.

However, I would have liked to see them go a step further and change the bylaw so that pet stores were restricted to dogs and cats from shelters, humane societies and rescues only.

It is my understanding that reputable breeders carefully select the people who they sell their animals to so I can't see reputable breeders selling to pet stores in the first place. I would have preferred that breeders (certified or otherwise) not be included in this new bylaw for pet stores? However, if I understood what breeders are required to do to qualfy for certification I might look at this differently.

Also I am confused about the use of the word "sell." I see that they are applying this word to the animals in pet stores from shelters and humane societies as well.

It was my understanding that the pet stores that help humane societies, shelters and rescues act as satellite locations, so why does the word "sell" even enter into the picture when applied to pets from these organizations. Pets from these organizations are "adopted."

Also, why are rescues not mentioned or do they fall under the term "shelters?"

I'm sure the councillors meant well and it is good to see that they are taking some form of action.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 1st, 2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added something
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
What is a 'certified breeder'?
Very good question. Hopefully somebody comes along who can explain what it means.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 1st, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

This is great,we in Oakville have not had any"pet-shops"selling puppies or kittens for a long time....unfortunately the on-line business will still be going on..
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM

I think the helpfulness of this new bylaw being in the right direction will rely completely on what they decide qualifies as a certified breeder. Are they going to come up with an entire system of certifying all breeders? Or will this be a certification required solely if the breeder wishes to sell to pet stores.

If they choose to include BYB's, this won't be doing much good. No reputable breeder would ever sell to a pet store, so the only sources of cats and dogs for pet stores are puppy mills and brokers, byb's, or shelters.

The typical pet store that was selling puppies will not all of a sudden begin to "sell" adoptable adults from the local pound. They are not equipped for it, adult dogs require far more room and care (while confined), and they do not have the same cute impulse decision appeal. It would be nice if they did listings of dogs available from the local shelter but some how I really don't see a place like PJs doing that. I bet they will still be looking at ways to get puppies and kittens in.