Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, and very nice chippers they are, too! If that last chipper had wings, it would be a bat, don't ya know?

Nice shots!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I finally built my bird feeder today. Dunno why I procrastinated, it only took a few minutes to cut the wood and put it together. I used screws so it would be really sturdy.
The box is a platform so I can put goodies like fruit or bread inside for the birds. Nothing on the top bar yet, need to get more feeders. I may put my hummingbird feeders there, dunno yet.

I made it pretty high so the birds would feel more secure and be safer from cats and other predators. And maybe with it being higher they'll feel more comfortable coming around with the dogs out. I actually wanted it taller but then I realized I'd need a big ladder to get up there . It's in the middle of my little rock garden; looks pretty good. I need to get my camera and take a better pic. I just snapped this with my camera phone real quick to show it off .

None of the regular birds have checked it out yet. I guess they're still suspicious even though I moved the feeders I already had to it. They'll probably show up pretty soon though. I have a few cardinals that are constantly here and the males are in their bright spring colors right now, so hopefully I can get some shots of them .

Old May 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a really nice feeder! the birds find it soon. I hope you get some pics of the cardinals.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Nice feeder I'm sure the birds will get over their suspicions soon.
Okay, two more dog walk birds. It was really windy and the branches wouldn't stay still, so the pictures are a bit blurry, but still recognizable. ONe is an oriole, the other I don't recognize (maybe Hazel can help?)
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, a lovely oriole!

The second looks like a yellow warbler to hazel. Was it quite small? I love warblers Thanks for sharing!!

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM

It was about the same size as the goldfinches and moved really fast. If fact, I thought it was a goldfinch until I got my pictures home and didn't see any black on it. I was concentrating on the oriole because it's the first time I've seen one. Had I realized the little yellow bird was something new, I would have tried harder to get a better picture.
I really need a longer lens, there were several hawks floating in the sky and I would have loved being able to post a picture of several hawks all riding the thermals together. With my eyes I could see the white and black bellies, but all my camera got was hawk shaped shadows and very blurry shadows at that, they weren't even good silhouettes.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Most warblers are about that size and won't sit still A real challenge! Nice catch, ownedbycats!!

Old May 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hummers!

I had some old friends pop in today :

Name:  Hummingbird fem 5-6-10 A.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  49.7 KB
Lily Needlenose was a little shyer than Buzz Needlenose--I caught her in the middle of a fluff/shake, so she didn't see me there. Once she knew I had the camera, she went off in a snit and hid higher up the tree

Buzz Needlenose was much more willing to pose for me.
Name:  Hummingbird male 5-6-10 A.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-6-10 B.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  46.3 KB

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
-

Baltimore Orioles I just love 'em...I haven't seen any yet

Hey, who are you calling Needlenose Hazel ...you have Hummingbirds already, lucky duck. I still haven't seen any
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Still no birds on my feeder

But I see them eying it .

Chris, I saw a hummingbird at my petunias on the front porch a couple of days ago
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I can't believe they're not coming to your banquet table, MBIE! What kind of seed are you offering?

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

It's just a mix of stuff. I want to add some specific varieties but I still need more feeders. Whatever it is, the cardinals usually eat the heck out of it. There were also some plain tortilla chips in the platform. It was the only thing I could find since I'm out of bread. Hmmm, I do have some crackers though, forgot about those.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have good success with black oil sunflower seed. And if you slap a suet holder on either end of the feeder, suet is a popular item during nesting season. If you get the store-bought suet, make sure you get the kind that's good at higher temps since the stuff meant for winter use will melt when you get close to 80 degrees.

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I need to get more suet. I have some brand in my cabinet but the birds didn't seem to like it. It barely was touched. I'd been putting off buying more 'til I got my feeder up and could actually nail a suet holder to it, so I guess now is a good time. We have lots of woodpeckers anyway and I'm sure they'll like it.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The hairy, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers will go nuts over it. I've only seen a yellow-bellied sapsucker on ours once...and the pileated woodpecker and the flickers shun my suet entirely. But I love pitching the blind near the suet and sneaking pictures of the hairy woodpeckers. It really ticks them off when you post their pics

Name:  Hairy woodpecker 5-6-10 A.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.6 KB

So there, Hairy Woodpecker! Take that!!!

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I finally got a few shots of some rose-breasted grosbeaks, too--had to stalk them so couldn't get closer than about 30 feet, but with close cropping you can get a pretty good view of the handsome dudes:

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeaks 5-6-10.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  45.1 KB

The guy on the right appears to be a first-spring male--notice the streaking on the flanks and the white feathers breaking up the black on the head and the rose bib.

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-6-10.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  38.5 KB

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 7th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: hazel is directionally challenged...left...right...six of one, half dozen of another LOL
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I wish I khad somewhere to set up a blind, it would be really neat to see some of those birds up close. I really like your rose-breasted gros beak pictures Hazel.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Blinds are good in the winter and might be good in summer (I'll find out soon )...I'm beginning to think they're no good during the migration. It was raining and to keep the camera dry today I sat in the blind. But although I could hear a lot of warblers passing just to the south of the blind through the underbrush, I never managed to spot one, much less take a pic of it. So today, blinds are totally overrated, ownedbycats!

The grosbeaks were actually stalked--I take a slow step forward, snap a picture, take a slow step forward, take a picture...until the bird flushes. I keep the camera up to my face (so heaven forbid I've missed something on the latest poop patrol, cuz I can't see the ground ) and if I see signs that the bird is getting ready to fly, I stop until it calms down. I can usually get within 30 feet of birds that have seen my performance many times before. These grosbeaks had not, but I still got within about 45 feet The pictures are pretty close-cropped. I'm glad you enjoyed them, ownedbycats.

A further adventure awaits, although I'm not sure when we'll get around to it. hubby bought me a tree stand. I want to put it up in one of the oaks the warblers and grosbeaks frequent and see if I can get any good pics from up there. I won't be able to look down though because I have this pathological fear of falling from a tree!

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
-

My g/f who lives in big town has a pond on her property with a small island in it...Geese like to nest on there every year, she would prefer they didn't because of the goose poop

This year the female laid her first egg on April 7th, today she called to say that all six eggs had hatched one month to the day.

This is a pic we took when I was there a couple of weeks ago:

Name:  Geese 1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.2 KB
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Six!! Now that's going to be fun to watch. When are you going back for more pics?

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
-

Hazel Lovely pics of the RBG's, I love those birds, I have only ever seen one once, so totally unfair

Overall this year I seem to be having a dearth of newbies to the hood, even my birdhouses are vacant with the exception of the Tree Swallows...I haven't even seen a Cedar Waxwing....sigh
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Six!! Now that's going to be fun to watch. When are you going back for more pics?
If I ever get my wheels back, next week
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Pack up the dogs and take a road trip. You can come here. hazel etal will share.

Your birds must be somewhere....maybe they're just late because they ran into this friggin' cold front I had to unpack my winter coat again!

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Pack up the dogs and take a road trip. You can come here. hazel etal will share.

I was telling Pepe last night that you must live in a migatory path you get such an abundance.

Your birds must be somewhere....maybe they're just late because they ran into this friggin' cold front I had to unpack my winter coat again!
I dunno Hazel, but they sure are not here, it's not so chilly here, definately not winter coat weather more like spring jacket or a sweatshirt , it has been quite windy though....yeah that's it, they are getting blown away
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That might not be such an off-the-wall theory. If the wind is in a favorable direction for migration, the birds will take advantage of it. The white-throated sparrows moved through here in record time this year because of the favorable winds. And if the wind is not blowing in a favorable direction, the birds stay low to keep out of it while they're foraging. So they can be pretty dang hard to see

We do live in the area cut off by a fork in the migratory pathway--between those birds following the Mississippi and its tributaries (and eventually coming up the Chippewa and its tributaries to get here) and the bird migrating further east and using the great lakes as a path. There is a little wetland to the south of us which empties into the south fork of the Eau Claire river, as well. Plus a lot of the birds breed in the surrounding forest. So we're well-situated to see birds.

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Eastern bluebird

madame hazel decided to check out the bluebird house so she sneakily approached from behind. She definitely found signs of occupancy:

Name:  Mama bluebird in the house 5-9-10 A.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  Mama bluebird in the house 5-9-10 C.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  55.3 KB

Mama just froze there like a wooden carving.

Name:  Mama bluebird in the house 5-9-10 F.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  49.3 KB

Should be fun once the babies hatch

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Song sparrow #1

This little guy was hanging out under the feeder one day...

Name:  Song sparrow 5-9-10 D.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  Song sparrow 5-9-10 C.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  Song sparrow 5-9-10 B.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  68.4 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Song sparrow #2 and Chipping sparrows

...and in the brush the next:

Name:  Song sparrow 5-10-10 A.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  Song sparrow 5-10-10 B.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  60.1 KB

Meanwhile, our numerous chipping sparrows are spatting out in the yards over mates and territory. These three are resting from a knock-down drag-out fight that madame hazel just missed catching with the camera

Name:  Chipping sparrows after the fracas 5-9-10.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  72.6 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Eastern phoebe

Which do you see first in this shot? The blurred out rose-breasted grosbeak in the background...
Name:  Eastern phoebe and rose-breasted grosbeak 5-9-10.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  56.0 KB
...or the eastern phoebe in the foreground? I'm sure another phoebe would have seen the phoebe first, but madame hazel almost deleted the image as just another blurry grosbeak

Here are a couple more shots of the phoebe:

Name:  Eastern phoebe 5-9-10 D.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  Eastern phoebe 5-9-10 B.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  49.9 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-bellied woodpecker female

She was shy at first, but warmed up and started showing off.

Name:  Red-bellied woodpecker 5-9-10 E.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  Red-bellied woodpecker 5-9-10 C.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  Red-bellied woodpecker 5-9-10 F.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  52.5 KB